Options

Dinosaur 10K

I know there's a very nice downhill stretch and flat finish along the seafront, but what comes down must go up! How bad is the uphill bit?

Comments

• Options
    The uphill is around 3k to 4k in length!!! not steep but a continous grind, then you go round a traffic cone and hit the downhill and flat stretch at around 5k!
  • Options
    Oh no, that's my worst nightmare! I'd rather have a short, steep hill and get it over and done with! But I suppose best get it over and done with whilst I'm still fresh.

We're going to practise running up that Farleigh hill!
  • Options
    JENNYD:

Thats the best part, you know the second half of the race is either downhill or flat, not an uphill in sight!

Yeah good hill to try, as is the long climb from bottom of Willington street hill until Sutton Road ESSO garage! ;p

• Options
    That could just suit me, to have an easy 2nd half. I'm expecting a really good speed down Kingsdown Hill! I suppose I can be sure of getting a negative split!!!

Is the steady uphill bit like the steady climb in Willington St, after the dip, just longer?
  • Options
    JennyD:
    Yeah pretty similer in parts, maybe a little steeper incline though! but not enough to make you slow down, but will get your HR raised!

Its shaded there as well, so if the sun is baking down you can run in the shade and stay quiet cool!
  • Options
    where is Deal, Kent

is it far from london?

ps.hello
  • Options
    How would you be getting there? Car or train? If you come by car and take the M2 then A2 you could be there in about 2 hours give or take a bit allowing for traffic. If you are coming by train then I would allow more time because of rail works at the weekends that means you have to get a replacement bus.
  • Options
    thanks shortie..
    i will be driving,good luck.
  • Options
    TelstarTelstar ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that on the Runners World website its got the time of this 10K as being 11.am

Shouldn't this be 10.am, or is my laptop playing tricks on me ?? !!
  • Options
    I am going by the organisers info sheet and getting there for a 10am start. Rather be too early than to miss it all together.
  • Options
    Defo 10am. Seems to be happening a lot with the Webste saying different things to the race info sheets. 2 hours from the M25 sounds about right to me, you may well do it in 1h30m, but you never know...

djb
  • Options
    TelstarTelstar ✭✭✭
    Thanks

I guessed it must be 10am, but its nice to know other people think the same !!
  • Options
    Hi, does anyone know if there still spaces for on the day entry for this one?
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I suppose I should be doing this one but long way from S Wales...
  • Options
    .. There were some when I phoned on Sunday... But its worth a phone call to check - there are probably a few fewer now...
  • Options
    I think the field is limited to 500 runners or something!

Probably best to phone organisers and see if entries will be accepted before travelling down.
  • Options
    Just looked on www.dealtri.co.uk.

Confirms 10:00 start, be ready at 09:50.

And as of 20/7 there were 405 pre entered
  • Options
    Hi All
    Just picked up this thread. I'm on the Committee of Deal Tri and can answer your questions:
    Yes there is a hill, but no its not 3-4km in length!! It comes at just past 3km and climbs into Kingsdown Village, probably around half a KM in length to the village boundary, and then a shorter 200 mtr climb to the top of the village. Then its downhill to the dead turn. All the rest of the course is pan flat, honestly!!

Thank you for noting the 10:00am start, we have to do that because the race is part of the Deal Reggatta celebrations and the public tend to wander all over the course in greater numbers as the day goes on.

We restrict the race to 500 because of the course size/width and safety is our first concern.

There are some places still available, but either get there early to blag one, or try e-mailing the Race Director (details on this website) and charm him into accepting your booking and collect number on the morning.

Finally, any swimmers may be interested to know that Deal Tri are also holding a 750metre sea swim race in the afternoon if the run race doesn't wear you out!

Sorry, I won't be there this year doing the time keeping as off to Paris to say goodbye and thanks to Lance!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi Gary, just spoke to you on phone, it still says your email address?
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    reads@thatsus.fslife.co.uk

Hope that's o.k.!!

Hopefully they will update the website soon!
  • Options
    is there are kids race again this year

if so what time and how far is it?

my 5 yo is planning to enter on the day !

hi wabo
    might see you there?
  • Options
    Yes a 1500 mtr Junior Race, race starts at 09:15, no problem to enter on the day! Think there are Dinosaur prizes in a numbers draw etc. but please check! Full details of race on www.dealtri.co.uk, where the results will also be posted.. Click the blue "Dinosaur 10km" heading to access the race page.
  • Options
    Results are up.
  • Options
    Well done to Deal tri on good marshalling around the course. drink stations good too. Only critcism I have is the start!
    what an earth happened there?

We got told to line up which all runners did, not even a 30sec, or warning that the race was about to begin, just the horn! no one knew what was going on! I lost a good 10-20secs in the confusion and maybe more time having to thread my way through the field!

I managed 36:25secs, so `reasonable` result for me, considering the conditions on the day!

Look forward to running this next year!
  • Options
    Yes, the horn came as a bit of a surprise. There didn't seem to be the usual banter over the Tannoy first. Perhaps they were eager to get it started after the delay.
    I'll second the cheers for the marshalling and drink stations. Good to see the kids get a race too.
    Interesting course, one for next years' diary.
  • Options
    P.S. Cheers too to the organisers for the speed with which the results were put up.
  • Options
    Any chance of the orgainsers keeping the runners world details up to date next time?. I don't particularly enjoy turning up to an event an hour late.
  • Options
    I enjoyed my run as only a PB can make you, though my eyes were almost popping out by the end.

David, didn't you get a info sheet from the organisers with the start time on it? I must admist that there have been a few occaisions when RW has different times to the organisers own time. Personally I'm now of the opinion that I won't trust the start times on RW unless I have good reason to :-(.

Cheers

djb
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    had a great race, me and bf did get in, we arrived at about 8.40 so no prob there! got my target of under 55 so I am very happy and will aim to better that next year. David m I think someone mentioned on this thread that it was 10 am?
    A mate at work only found out about 10 start cos I told him friday night.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can