New York 2005 Superheroes over America

Comments

• Good luck Jape, are you aiming for a particular time?
  • Best wishes Jape. Just remember that at mile 20 running is fun!! 
  • Lost the 4:30 pace group at mile 20 today after catching up with them at mile 11. Dublin quite warm and sunny, luckily not as bad as London. Did not aim for particular time (except maybe beat this year's 5:17 in London). Ended up finishing in 4:36:15, so very happy with the result.
    Sore legs but Guinness is helping!

Triathlon seems to be good marathon training...
  • Jape, Again well done. Now you can concentrate on the house move.
  • Well done Jape!

And reading the last few posts reminds me to order those extra batteries for my camera...

• Well done on Dublin Jape, and good luck with the house.

I just had an Uncle Ben's Pilau Instant rice.. surprisingly good, just to get me into the Himalayan spirit...

Thanks for the Patella tip Han, but ME runbackwards a couple of hundred metres? - when I hardly run forwards that far. lol.

I DID manage a poor 2.05 at Stroud on Sunday, despite the rain, and lack of preparation and training (nothing new there then).

I now have my car engine being rebuilt, from one I bought off ebay... not much change from a Grand, but a better option than replacing a perfect car - How could I find a replacement for a car that is relatively quiet, huge, fast, safe, 70+ mpg, and heated leather, with aircon.......?   The moral is, don't ignore oil pressure lights, whatever garages say about faulty switches, and more regular cam belt changes than recommended.

• I have actually walked to, or from work, about a mile and a quarter each way, around a dozen times this fortnight now, while my car has been off the road... Hate to admit, but it's been an environmentally advantageous thing, and a pleasant change, even the day it was raining... image... Should be mobile again next week, but may plan to walk more, if they extend my contract at all.... not looking promising at the mo..... a suggestion of weekly extensions if at all...  image
  • Fingers crossed Ged and yes, it is a brilliant car, but wasn't the engine one of the most brilliant things on that car?

Interestingly, our work van's engine has just died as well. We are trying to source a new one from that van breakers yard in Tredegar, as the van is such a useful vehicle for us and we can't afford a new one...

Never thought about looking at ebay for a new engine!!!

• It was pretty efficient, yes... recently got 73mpg average on a long run.... But, with the back seat swabs unhooked, I actually fitted my 3 seater chesterfield in the back,... and surely you haven't forgotten the joys of the heated leather seats? It's just an ideal car all round... apart from the cost of the tyres, which it seems to get through at the rate of 2 a year @ £70 each . ouch! - still I could get cheaper ones, but I don't DO cheap tyres... not worth it...

My job is extended til the end of the week.. great... and looks like I may be concentrating short term on doing PAT testing.

My garage has a contact for sourcing engines... after I got mine, he said, oh I could have got you one.. yeah, thanks... Sorry about the Scudo 

• You must be doing a lot of miles Ged, if you go through 2 tyres per year (100,000?). Is your tyre pressure ok? Must be hard btw if you only know week by week whether you're in a job.

Han, eBay sells everything. How are the preparations for Everest going?

Anybody up for Gloucester marathon in January btw? It is near Quedgeley, probably Ian and Plod know more about it.

• Jape,

I have noted Gloucester Marathon but the club who organise it tend to be disorganised. I would not be rushing to run it.

I was supposed to run Tewkesbury 5 mile today but weather made me wimp out so I ran 9 mile on Treadmill in gym instead. I plan to run Gosport Half Marathon in 2 weeks so hopefully    the weather will be more pleasant.

Did you watch NY Marathon this afternoon? I still love Paula.    

• I remember my bookcases went into that car without a problem, but they would not g in the van...

And yes, I DO remember the heated seats... hmmm, I wonder if they sell heated seats on eBay?

• If you get Mercedes Seats, I believe you can get a massage option with them. lol

A January Marathon.. brrrrr! - Bad enough the 10k in Hereford on jan 1...

Heck! I turned the radio off at 22miles.. thought she had it tied up... just read the result.. oops!

• I like the idea of massageing seats...

Oh and thanks for that engne link, it was the right one and it has been bought image

Now waiting with abated breath if my 307 is a write off... If so, can you please find me a new one of those too image

• Good luck with the engine... You can never be 100% sure with them, but hopefully, it's been looked after, and I'm sure will continue to be, in your care.... and a sensible price...  Fitting costs can mount up too tho, unfortunately...

Jape, what cars do you drive that only use 2 tyres in 100,000 miles?  I do about 15K per year, and usually get through my 2 front tyres in that time, and I am careful on tyre pressures, and other tyre care, and they wear VERY evenly... they just wear out, down to the wear indicator...  The back ones hardly wear at all, but I sometimes swap the back to the front.  I recently had a puncture, wrecking a rear tyre which was hardly worn, costing me £70. great!   Altho, over tyhe years I've found no advantage in evening up  the wear, as it means that you have to buy 4 tyres at a time, instead of 2.

• Yeah, we tend to do the 4 tyres at the same time thing. well used to with the company cars...

When I bought mine, it had brandnew tyres on it, and after almosy 10.000 miles they don't seem to have worn an awful lot? Still plenty of tread on them, at least another 10.000 I reckon? Mind you, that is if the car doesn't get written off image Still waiting to hear... image

The en gine guys said he stripped it out of a van that had been written off in a car crash and the van was really neat at 66k on the clock, with full service history and a new cambelt only 1000 miles ago, so should be ok... Worth the risk anyway at that money, as buying a 'new' (2nd hand) van would be a lot more expensive...
  • Perhaps the engine supplier has a cheap driver's door too?image

I suppose it depends on how much they would pay you if your car is written off. I noticed on renewal of MY car insurance, it said the value to be no more than £75,000 Yep, I suppose it wouldn't be worth more than that... even to me... lol 

• LOL, mine says that too, are you with NFU?

And I checked for a door... they have already been sold, alas... Mind you, we are perfectly happy with the bashed about door, it works fine, that is all that matters...

No idea how much they will pay if it is written off, but still not heard... I reckon it is touch and go, which always makes it difficult to decide...

• Going up to Blackpool tomorrow. Strictly Come Dancing is coming from the Tower Ballroom this Saturday.
  • I guess I'm too late to warn you Howard about the pretty much 24 hour drinking binges of groups of yobs there. Just be careful out there.. Not the place to try to enjoy a quiet night out unfortunately.

Yes NFU Han.. The saga of my engine continues. After getting the thing back after over a week in the garage, it developed a clicking noise from the belts area, and went back in today, for, hopefully, return on Monday.. Think I'm going to MOT and sell it...   It just aint the same car any more.. less zip in the engine, newer clutch feels a bit listless, and the brakes are different, No-one else would notice, but I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe it'll improve once I've taken some carbon off the valves with a bit of motorway mileage? 

• It's not difficult to decide a write-off or not. They just get the market value of the car, and get the quote for repairs from the garage, after they decide what the salvage value is of the car as it stands. If it's going to cost around 2/3 or more of the car value to repair, it's not an economical repair
  • I have been to Blackpool before but was still disapointed with the Pubs, not that we had too much spare time on our hands. Couldn't find anywhere quiet and couldn't find a decent pint of beer; ended up drinking extra cold John Smiths.

After the show we ended up in "Flamingos" gay nightclub. More loud music and poor beer - I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.

• I don't think Blackpool is aimed at the over 25's any more image
  • Never been to Blackpool... doesn't sound like I missed much image

Ged, told you it was the engine that made that car image

On the positive side, my car is being repaired rather than written off, so that is good news... No idea how the new engine will be in the van, as it hasn't been fitted yet... but no doubt that will feel different as well image

• Hey hey hey its me!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry not been around lately its been quite an eventful few months and only now can i feel settled and ready to put running back into me routine which has been seriously lacking of late.

I was aiming to run the Gosport half this coming weekend but i think i will have to pass because of lack of preperation.............zero preperation to be honest.

........oooo and Ged did you say you had a clicking in your belt area,? You should seriously consider a trip to your GP, sounds nasty image 

Hope you are all well, be back on here more often now.....

:¬D

• Car back home again now. I'm sure it's missed me..... Its noise is fixed  now... had to have the lower fan belt pulley swapped from my old engine.. big job, but ok now.    It's just the starting now that it isn't as zippy with, as the old engine was.... Hopefully with a couple of long journeys, it will improve...?

Hey Supes...

Job is not much better, but a minor improvement...  Threatened to keep me on next week too.  Can I cope with even more changes in my life?   Body he say 'you get stressed boy' - Maybe not the best time to look for new cars? - I don't always make the finest decisions under stress...

• Ged, I'd say don't buy a new car. You have the old car sorted so you can do without the extra hassle and stress and especially expense of it all...