New York 2005 Superheroes over America

Comments

• **News**

I think I'm going to take voluntary redundancy next spring and go freelance. I can collect a pension but have to leave the BBC by April or the pension law says I have to wait until I'm 55. So I think I'll jump now. Part of the decision is that Television Centre doesn't seem yo have much of a future - what a shame - Bl**dy BBC management!

• Well done on the decision, Howard. I blame the government with its stupid free-market, no monoploy rules. But yes, the management must be heavily to blame for the future, when they could save so many jobs if only they'd cut bl**dy Terry Wogan's salary. I can't imagine the golden handshake he will get, along with the hefty pension they will pay him.... this compared with the almost 3 weeks money I will get for my pay-off when then finally sling me......  image.   The 3 weeks holiday pay they owe me will be worth more than my redundancy pay out.  Great....
  • Btw, Han, I'm sure you're right about the car..... running reasonably well now, but cold starting isn't brilliant. Must talk to the garage again. hmmm.. needs a long run... I'm sure I've heard that phrase somewhere before.. erm... no, can't imagine where..... image

• Hello all 

Blimey so many things happening.

Hope you make the right decision howard, shame you never did get me into sue barkers dressing room....oh well image good luck all the same.

....and Ged your job has been on the line  for so long now, it must be driving you crazy, good luck to you too and your car.

:¬D 

• Thanks Supes.I can't understand how it isn't getting me down more. P'raps I'm just too daft to let it get to me... don't answer that.... I have had a bad earache since Sunday, which is starting to get a little better, and I really wanted to stay in bed today, but figured as soon as I started on that track, it would get too easy to be off sick, so I dragged myself in. image  I got one job in the pipeline, but heard zero, but this place seems to be pulling out so many stops to keep me here, that I feel I should repay their dedication with the same, and would be so embarrassed if I had to break the news of another job to them after all of this we've been through.  Meetings 2moro and Thursday may make or break things here.
  • Well done on taking the plunge Howard, I wish you all the nast. And Ged, hope you get something sorted out soon on the job front too.
  • Meant all the best of course. (Not sure what happened there...)
  • Feels like I'm deserting a sinking ship, but got an interview next wednesday in Bristol. All sorts happening here too... hope I'm not trying to jump ship too soon! - yikes.
  • Had a weekend away in Bruges. Beautiful city and very nice selection of beers.
  • Holidays? -I remember them..long time ago now........ Never been to Bruges.. always wondered might make the effort in the spring... wonder when their marathon is? - Is it flattish? image
  • Its Belgium! It's like the Netherlands but with the hills removed.
  • ? Hills in the Netherlands? where?

I wonder if I'm too late to wish Han all the best for the end of the week? - Everest on the 4th, isn't it?  - Gawd, it's 1 degree here, and I'm already cold enough, and I can generate my own heat....

• Operation to repair damage to the tendon on my left foot is to be on Feb 1st.
  • Always the infernal waiting... Good luck Howard.

I had an interview this am in Bristol. Went well, but they have tons to see, I won't know til Monday.  Will keep you posted

• Thank you all who took part in the finger crossing exercise. I got the job!

I have accepted, with mixed feelings, as altho it is marginally more money, and at least a year fixed contract, there is now bad press concerning the post I have been taken on to do, with the added hassle that I will have to take a weekday bedsit or the like, to be anywhere near practical, at extra cost, and will end up worse off.  Still, better than zero job at all, so have to make the best of it. image

• And what's even more strange, is I ran 3 miles yesterday. Was blue skies and cloudy when I set out, but soon turned to 'oh fer f's sake, where did all that water come from?', and hailstones to boot. great! - NOW I remember why I hibernate at this time of year,,,,image
  • Well done Ged, hope it works out.
  • Thanks Howard. Still no letter to confirm start dates, but it's likely to be early Jan. I can only do my best.

I sure do need to de-stress tho.... don't suppose anyone has any ideas? - try not to be silly and mention running.... I think I'm getting too old for total life changes again... and, oy! - no need to agree with me...

• Ged, You are only a youngster so plenty of time for life changing.

Howard, best wishes with foot cutting and also your possible life changing. 

Sorry I have been missing the forum. Despite being fully retired life has been rather hectic recently with lots of travelling to Orkney. Rather sadly Wyn's Mother passed away but at 95 she had a great life, leaving 7 children, 19 grand children, 31 great grandchildren and 12 great, great, grandchildren. She was still working in a Charity shop until a few weeks before her passing. What an inspiration!

In the midst of all this I still manage to fit a some running, about 30 slow miles per week. After cutting back to only 2 marathons this year I hope to resume to my normal 3 next year. Boston is a definite then there is Berlin, New York, Chicago and hopefully Athens. Choices will have to be made.  

Best wishes to you all.

• Something to cheer you up, a video about the contents of the Stockport 10 coody bag! :

Stockport 10 goody bag

• Erm... yes, thanks Howard... at least it saved having to run it to find out what the contents of the bag were.....

Hey, hardly a de-stress, but ran 2 freezing miles in 17 minutes on Saturday afternoon... sort of another reminder as to why I hibernate.

• Oh, and sorry for your loss of Granny, Ian... altho.. seems more like a celebration of her passing should be carried out. wow!- let me go like that! She sounded great. Can't complain too much, I reckon.
  • The end of an era... last day today at my current job.... nearly 3 years....It's been good image

Still no start date at the new job, pending completion of paperwork and formalities, not least the CRB check, which has to go off to Liverpool... and you know what those Scousers are like around xmas...!! image

Have a good 'un, for those celebrating anything..... but watch out for the blue meanies... who gave me a 3 point xmas present last week for a nippy village drive thru ..... and a 'blow in the tube, sir' for good measure (zero) - It ain't worth it, and I have had incredible economy, sticking to darned speed-limits since... 66mpg average, returning from Bristol. Car's been behaiving itself... ish... after having a hefty oil leak repaired last week.

• Thanks for the card Jape - best wishes to you.
  • Happy Christmas to everyone on here............i know its a bit late but hope everyone is having fun. Just off for a little run of 45 mins, 10k race in 2 weeks time. Just found out the Brighton Mara is full for April so will look elsewhere.

Take care eveyone

Supes x

:¬D

• Also belated Christmas Greetings from me. Only 17 weeks to Boston so started serious training on Christmas Day with 6 miles. Felt ok but alas struggled with only 3 miles this morning.

Supes, you need to find another Marathon. I know that if I did not sign up early for my next Marathon I would find it very difficult to get myself out of doors in the winter.  

After Boston I am looking at New York, Chicago, Berlin, and especially Athens. Decisions, decisions!!

Best wishes to all. 

• Happy New Year all.... Start as you mean to go on, I say... done sod all running this year so far. lol.... altho I admit to succumbing to accompanying Jess on a lunatic chilly 5k race at 7.30pm on New Year's Eve in Mountain Ash... apparently their 51st staging! - so many crazy people for so many years... and they have a celeb sports personality every year turns out... couple of Welsh Rugger players this year, so no biggie....

Anyway, lazy housework week this week, despite the snow, and start my new job in Bristol on Monday...

My car is still going, despite it hitting major hurdles since the engine replacement - exchange pully, major oil leak fix, new battery (£95), replacement sump (£200) after something flew up from the road and holed it! - great! - and now the MOT is due... cross all fingers gang....
  • And a Happy New Year from me as well.

Ged, I admire your ability to do any work on a car. Best wishes on your new job. I hope it all goes well.

I feel guilty (well a little bit) enjoying the heat in Thailand. I am managing about 5 miles a day at 7am when temperature is only about 80deg.

The weather in UK sounds terrible. Despite this we look forward to getting home on Sunday if only to see Daughter and Grandchildren.

• helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

so sorry to hear about wyn's mother ian - always a sad time - but lordy be she is leaving a clan behind!

Good luk howard with the vol red... free lance sounds marvellous

Ged - any news on the sat nav directing you through your life? lol hee hee. bristol is lush - let me know how the house hnting goes.

ian - we have been snowd in since tuesday here - no snow today or due tomorrow, but a lot more due on sunday into monday so please take care.

it has come at the most inconvenient time - any other time t would be a welcome chance to catch up on marking etc but we have kids sitting exams next week so missing lessons and having to communicate via blogs and emails with them is far from ideal adn v vv stressful! argh!

hugs to yuo all and good luck with all your new years resolutions

Hugs

plod x x