A word of warning...

On Saturday I did a long "brick" session of 55-60 miles (3hrs) and then a 11-12 mile run (1hr 50). The problem became apparent 3 minutes into the bike ride and at that point I couldn't be bothered to turn around and get an allen key...

The previous week I'd completed a duathlon and my bike was set up for a fast, flat course with tri-bars. I'd moved the saddle forward and lowered it slightly to compensate and raised the stem slightly too to allow for the fact that the tri-bars fitted below the normal bars.

For Saturdays ride I removed the tri-bars but forgot to do anything else so the bike wasn't set up for a hilly and windy 60 mile course with no tri-bars.

The ride went ok, if a little uncomfortable but I paid for not turning round. The real problems came towards the 9 or 10 mile point on my run and my back really started to feel it!

So, lesson - ensure you sort your positions out. I feel really annoyed with myself as I'm nomally quite a stickler for this point.

Comments

• Nightmare! I hope it doesn't have a long-term effect on your IM training.

Do you not take a small multitool on training rides?
  • blimey, that's very technical. my bike set up never changes!
  • mine hasn't changed since I bought it apart from the addition of aerobars....
    butI'd obviously recommend a proper bike fitting for everyone else who can indeed be arsed.
  • My ex-club president had been the first GB 1967 Tour team driver and mechanic as well as being a GB International team manager on several occasions and was a stickler for bike position and drummed it into all of us. Eddy Merkx was a constant fidget with his position also, didn't seem to do him any harm, but any likeness is purely coincidental...

I nomally do take a multi-tool with me, I just left it behind and couldn't be ar$£d to go back and get it, even tho' I was only a few hundred meters away... No long term affects after the run, but it's as well to be prepared.