Options

New RW Marathon Schedules

My February(?) copy of RW popped through the letterbox today, complete with the new marathon training schedules.
Very surprised! They're all based on 4 runs a week which although surprising is good for me as I struggle to find 5-6 days and suffer from sore legs which tend to need rest. Also surprised at the low mileage though and the short distance to start with of the long runs. I'd been doing 30 miles a week and had built up to a 13 mile run in anticipation of the RW schedule starting at about that level for my targetted sub 3:30, but its comong in, from 6th January at much lower. Are RW pitching the mileage and long runs too low? Why such a dramatic change from previous schedules? Is it change for changes sake? Are the previous 'can't fail' schedules now deemed to be flawed?
Would be interested to hear views, including from Sean or whoever at RW.

Comments

• Options
    Don't know if my feeling was commonplace but I was quite shocked to see that the schedule on the website for intermediates (I'm aiming for 3:30) required 5-6 days per week. Perhaps the four days a week schedules are because lots of people didn't want to dedicate that much time to it.

The schedule at www.runnersworld.com (American version website) is a lot less demanding in that respect.
  • Options
    yep

i was surprised too. the 2002 schedules were virtually incomprehensible (sorry RW guys) and had fearsome mileages for the sub 4 group, so i found myself using the 2000 schedule, which delivered the goods for me on the day.

i've printed off the sub 4 schedule which is available on this site and it looks excellent - the 4 day week (70's throwback?) does feel a little light unless you've got a high natural level of fitness, i reckon
  • Options
    I've also printed the 2000 schedule (sub 4.30) which looks pretty straightforward. like Ben I had built up my long run to 11-13 and am surprised that the schedule starts at 6m!Should I stick with 13 until the schedule catches up?
    Also am confused by when to do the 20mile run. I have signed up to do the 20m at Sutton park which is on 9th March(week 10) but the schedule says 23rd March (week 12).
    Would welcome any advice - it's only my 2nd FLM!
  • Options
    I was surprised too Ben. I recently looked up the 02 schedules again, which I gave up on since i found the training far too hard for my target time (around 4 hrs). However I assumed the longer runs would be kicking in at 10-12 miles in Jan, like you and lots of others I've made myself do some 12-13 milers already in anticipation!

I guess they can't win - too much and people complain, too little, we're still not happy!

To be fair they do suggest the additional 1-2 sessions to add in if you want to. But I liked the way last year's had total weekly mileages shown. Still dithering and making it up as I go along really. (Hal Higdon Intermediate II is good comparison, add the RW tempo sessions and it's pretty much what I feel I could do)

I suspect this won't be the end of the debate somehow... Good luck to everyone officially starting their training!
  • Options
    Must admit the season is taking its toll and I'm now grateful for a lower start. Planned to do 14 miles today but just felt too tired so set out to do 10 but ended up with only 9, which was still really hard despite doing a 13 on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    I'll probably use last years schedules as they worked for me.

The speed work on this years shedules seems pretty hard for me. Though I've been working on speed work for the past 6 weeks I can't manage the times for the target time I want and come to think of it I can't do the times for the time that I did in FLM 2002.

Like a lot of people in the forum I've already started building up the mileage on the long runs and am already ahead of the schedule.

Quite pleased that during the christmas period that I managed to keep up a reasonable amount of training certainly completed all my "key" sessions (speed work and long run)
  • Options
    This is horses for courses I know, but my experience of last year completely turned me against the RW schedules. Basically, two years ago I ran a 3.27 pb by running two or three midweek 8 milers as quickly as possible - really blowing hard, and running long at weekends at marathon pace. Rest days in between of course - probably an average 35 miles a week - Building from 30 miles to 45 for the last two or three weeks.
    So last year I aimed for sub 3.15 and decided to stick to the RW training guide religiously.I became almost obsessive about it, lost sight of how my body was feeling, put loads of pressure on myself because I had spent so many hours on the road, and had a shocker on the marathon day, finishing 25 minutes down on my PB.
    So on the basis of my experience, I would say use training schedules as a guide only - not a Bible! Do enough mileage to give you confidence that you will achieve your goals, but don't go OTT - for the recreational runner in full time employment, its not worth it. It seems that the excellent people of RW may have realised this. A sensible amount of quality miles will see you through!
  • Options
    I've ended up putting togrther a version of my own which is a combination of last years and this.
  • Options
    I'm with all of you - I find the RW schedules entirely too light. They work fine to get you round - but for me personally, I know by trial and experience, if I don't do the training miles, then there's no PB or even decently near one. My two best ever marathons came off high mileage schedules, our club works a 3-month build-up and we run 30km three Sundays out of the month and a 3-hour run on the other.
    Highest weeks are 130 and 120km and come 2/3 of the way into the schedule. I no longer have the time nor inclination to run 130km weeks, but I do still believe in 30 - 35km runs at the weekend. I know if I don't, I still get round but not in a decent time.