Options

Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Options

Evening all

Good luck WA and anyone else running tomorrow.

Thanks for the update Seren.  perhaps I will do it again one year.

Take care all image

• Options

Evening all. WA got safely around London I see - Well done Alex.

Enjoyed watching the coverage this morning.

• Options

Evening all

Yes, he did.  Sian Phillips did well as did Paula Stockley.  A good day all round.  Didnt Paula Ratcliffe win it?  What a way to go!

• Options
    No Paula wasn't racing with the elites. She did circa 2.36 with the winner around 2.20?
  • Options

she was the winner amongst the club runners............which is a bit funny to think of her as a club runner.....I would would be gutted if I was fast and  she turned up at a club race  image

• Options

Evening all

Thanks for the clarification.  Paula Ratcliffe got a qualifying time for the Olympics.  Well done to her, what a way to go!

• Options
    Morning! It's gone cold again.

Newport for me today.

Doesn't look like I'll run Llanelli 10k now as it's on the weekend that we are moving home. Not to worry I'll do something later in the Summer.
  • Options
    Running KevRunning Kev ✭✭✭
    Morning. Hope everyone is well.

Been a busy time for me as we have started clearing out the garage, loft etc ready to move. I've missed a couple of runs too which I'm a bit cross about.

Never mind, I'm working from home tomorrow so I can go out for a run first thing.
  • Options

Good luck with the move Kev...supposed to be one of the most stressful of times....I am doing well to keep to my 5 times a week running...legs asrevtired as I cycled last weekend and I'm not used to it this year

• Options

Evening all

Thought I had posted wishing you luck with house move RK.  Hope you are okay.  Enjoy your run tomorrow. 

Well done Seren. What have you got planned for the summer?

Getting back to running after more treatment on my leg. Hope to be able to run Swansea half in June.

• Options
    Thanks NR.

Fingers crossed for Swansea then.
  • Options
    Morning.

As I can't do Llanelli 10k due to moving home that weekend I've entered Swansea 10k on September 20. Looking forward to that as I've not run that race before.

Anyone else doing it?

Having said that, WA mentioned that he had been told Llanelli 10k has been cancelled? Anyone else heard this?

Off to Bristol today and a run planned when I get home.
  • Options
    Morning. What a pleasant change to have nice weather for the Bank Holiday. Have a nice time all.
  • Options
    All quiet in here!

Back to work after a few days off. Rest day today, run tomorrow.
  • Options

Morning image

What a shock - over 4 months since I last posted!! Where does the time go?

Was that a first and a fourth place I read for you Nutty? Really well done image More treatment on the leg as well, hope that is working out well for you.

Moving home Kev - good luck with that. How long is it since you last moved and will you be moving boxes that are still unpacked from a previous move?

I had a barn clear-out last summer and unearthed a box of country wines all taped up that we had moved four times with and never opened!! They are approaching 20 years old now and would probably need either a very brave, or stupid person to drink them!! - No idea why I still haven't chucked them - perhaps a curiosity to see how long they could be saved? Maybe our kids will come across them still boxed when they clear us out of here!!

I note Alex is almost as bad as me at posting on here - well done with VLM Alex image Never again is always the mantra - until next timeimage

I have given up Amazon for the summer - might go back again in the winter as the extra pennies were certainly handy, but really hard to get anything done with that much time out. The barns were not completed on time for lambing - had to rearrange hay stores and lamb in the hay barn again. 32 lambs, 3 losses and 13 no shows - dreadful lambing percentages but a really good outcome given one of our rams died the week before he was to be put into tup, so the replacement ram lamb did well getting half his girls. Currently running 75 sheep and running out of pasture rapidly!!

I did run last weekend - wow! I have managed to do the odd half hour on the treadmill a couple of times a month, so it took me most of the week to recover from running just a 4 mile loop around the village!! Never mind, still good to get out image

• Options

Nice to hear from you Boff. Glad you can have the Summer to spend some time on your farm with the family.

We've been here 14 years and brought 3 kids up here so there's lots to sort / pack!

• Options
    Hi all. I'm running Swansea 10k on September 20th. Hope to get around in about an hour.

I guess that many of you have run thus race a few times! Do you have any tips therefore on parking, etc. or indeed the route itself?

I assume it's totally flat?

TIA

Kev
  • Options

Afternoon image

The Swansea 10k is one of the few local races that I have never done Kev - seem to remember it always clashed with another race?

14 years worth of boxes - now that  has to be a challenge! Good luck with that!

• Options
    Thanks Boff, getting through it.

Still managing a few runs on the way as well. Swansea 10k is 15 weeks away so quite chilled about that.

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Options

Assuming you stay injury free and can manage a couple of runs a week then you should easily be up for the distance in 15 weeks image All that remains is how much you want to push for a time, or just be really happy to run the 10k in comfort.

These days I tend to run for comfort; if I can knock out the odd half hour 5k on the treadmill and still be able to occasionally run my little undulating loop of about 4 miles round the farm lanes then I am happy image

The Park Runs are nice, although I rarely get time to go to them...

• Options

all exciting news with the move Kev........

Boffiin... some dry weather for you  at last on the farm...

Im still running big mile got a 24 hr race this weekend....will do it as a training run....just over 24 hrs tll the big race

• Options

Boff - being a big lad, just getting my timber around the course is enough for me. You've done amazing to come back from your injury and run well!

Seren - I couldn't imagine staying awake for 24 hours let alone running for it!

• Options

Getting round is certainly the first target, how far are you running at the moment Kev? It is really nice if you can be in the position to have the distance in your comfort zone.

Nice to have some dry weather Seren - much easier to get around. I'm with Kev on your 24hr race - no fun being up for that long let alone running! - Good luck.

I am certainly pleased to have recovered as well as I have Kev, no doubt about that image To still be walking around and able to work is a great relief; the memory of being immobilised and my head tapped to a stretcher waiting for the CT scan has not faded. Being able to run the occasional half hour or so in comfort and enjoy mountain orienteering with my family is fantastic - I have no desire for greater thrill seeking like say parachute jumping or white-water rafting! I feel adequately mortalimage

• Options

My running has been pretty static over the past few years Boff. I tend to run (plod) 3 times a week and no more than 3 or 4miles each time generally.

My thinking of entering a 10k is that it will get my weekly mileage up to 20+

Yes, you are certainly right to be thankful of what you've got!

• Options

Running three times a week is great and doing the 5k ish distance is perfect for jumping up to 10k as a one off. I'd gamble that you would be able to knock out a 10k in around the hour this afternoon without too many hassles image

If you can arrange your three weekly runs to include a longer slow run once a week that will serve you in great stead - practically and psychologically. No need to run the full 6 miles in training, maybe go up to 5 miles then you know on the day you can easily pull out that extra mile.

Problem with aiming for a 20 mile or so training week is the time commitment that needs. If you can factor in two hour sessions in the week and a longer two hour session once a week then you are sorted - I would find that really difficult to find the time.

Do you train alone or include your family? - that can be one way of making the time commitment easier. I rarely trained with my wife, although we both trained so that makes taking the time a little easier because we both understand and accommodate each other. Having said that, we often both entered the same events - made the travel and time for the Paris and Rome marathons easier to justify as we had a bit of a holiday around the events image

• Options
    Thanks for advice Boff. I train alone but Mrs RK is really supportive and doesn't mind me taking time to train.

Out again tonight.
  • Options

have a good run tonight Kev image How far do you plan to go, and are you keeping records of your training?

• Options
    Sorry for the late reply Boff - been busy moving home. Running has also taken a back seat though unfortunately. Back in work today so back to routine.

Hope everyone is well.
  • Options

My computer blew up it's motherboard so is currently in the shop - only recently got the hard drive set up in a caddy, so I have not been on much lately either!!

Are you all moved now Kev, or still in a land of boxes? Running sometimes just has to take it's place in life, but like a faithful pet it is always there just waitingimage

• Options

Looks like I am also doing a 10k Kev! I was only going to go and support my wife, but now I have ended up entering a 10k in London in a couple of weeks. I reckon I will be similar pace to you Kev, will have to see how it goes.