Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Hi all. Move all done and happily ensconced in our new abode. 

Have you done the 10k Boff?

• Well done Kevimage All boxes unpacked and places found for everything? I hope you are all very happy in your new home. Have you moved far, or are you able to still use your old training routes?

Sweetie and I did do the 10k - long way to go and very expensive for just 10k but we did get to finish in the Olympic Stadium, so a little special image I managed 56minutes, so am perfectly happy with that. It was a really hot day for it but a well managed event especially considering the numbers taking part. I rarely do large events although this one was nice, if we lived closer I would probably do it again.

• Hi Boff. Yes all moved in and only 2 miles move and still on Coastal 

Path so all good. 

Well done on your sub-60 - great achievement. 

• That's great Kev, nice 2 mile add on to your routes; natural run progression image

Yes, sub 60 and no ill affects; I'll take that image

How is your running and preparation for you 10k going?

After ten years of posting, this thread seems to have sadly petered out; Nutty is posting on the Port Talbot thread these days and Alex, Tracey and Sue tend to use facebook. I still check in here each day - Old habits! image

• 10 years  is a very long time for a thread to be runningimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morningimage

It is indeed Poppy. How have you been? I don't run any where near as much as I did although still pop out every now and then. Is your running going well?

Rain is back once again I see; it keeps teasing me with three or four days of sun.

• I was away in th czech republic for the last 4 days and missed the sunshine here.......we did have a heatwave there though   image

• Afternoon

Boffin:I think life changes for us I know I had not run in 7 years due to Achilles rupture as every time I did, something else would happen sprained ankle/broken ankle but the begining of this year a break through I can run which I thought would just be on treadmill but no I am up to 30 miles outside a week.Which is a huge break throughimage I am slow but who cares I can run again.

How has your running been? The family?

Seren

I love Prague but I have been in the depth of winter when it is............freezingimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • we were in Lednice which was amazing..........it was 39 degrees and a wedding....the mens suits didnt last for too long  image

and there were lots dipping in the pool in the short gap between day and evening activities  image

• It sounds amazing I love the thought of dipping in the pool.I bet the wedding was fantasticimage

When we were there they had the heaters outside to keep warm with mulled wine I think I ended up with 2 pairs gloves and 2 hats onimage

Strange to think we were in the same country.......image

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morningimage

Just being able to run again after an injury is progress in itself Poppy, well done you. You know as well as the rest of us to be careful with picking up longer miles image

I am perfectly content with being able to run a 30 minutes 5k on the treadmill after my injury, so not aiming for your miles, but I still get to eat pie image

Sounds fantastic Seren, pity you couldn't bring that sunshine back with you!

• Evening

Boffin , what injury have you got/had?

5k is a nice distance on the treadmill it is always about balance  and you get to eat pie'simage

How is Sweetie and the Boffettes they must be grown up?

I can not eat pie until I shift 21lb's it is hard work to shift it but so easy to go onimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning image

I had a fall three years ago and broke my back Poppy - oh, I also broke my heal at the same time but that was a minor concern by comparison. Six months in a back brace followed by physio and now I can touch my toes again, work and still run - so no grumbles from me image

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/530954_432981523419789_726804149_n.jpg?oh=557d43559c4f3bd9d788ef6272277b94&oe=564A6EE1

Not sure if the image will post - I have 'issues' trying to post images on here!

Could so easily have been a wheelchair for life, so I am more than happy to do slow 5ks - mind you I have started thinking about longer distances...

Sweetie is doing well, we both slowed up on the running - life just gets in the way, but she is still running a couple of times a week between niggles.

Boffettes have grown; Boff Jnr is hopefully off to university this September and Boffette starts her GCSEs next term

Gaining weight is so much easier than loosing it - just not fair I say!

• Boffin: considering the outcome could have been so different you are so lucky to have recovered from the fall!! It just shows how fragile life can be.

It is amazing you can run after all that so you are blessed indeed.

We all like to do more than we can at present we are never satisfiedimage

Wow they have grown time does fly by but glad all is going well for you and sweetie,life does indeed get in the way but we have to be grateful for what we can rather than what we can not do.......

I know especially the older we get!!

Photo posted well I can see the boot was that for the heel?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morningimage

Indeed Poppy, I do have a renewed sense of mortality these days; certainly do not have any strong desire to be jumping out of aeroplanes or such like! Yes the boot was for the heel - removable cast with inflatable lining, so much better than plaster as you can itch your foot image

Recovered well so there is very little I wouldn't do now that I used to. Boff jnr and I completed a 2 day mountain marathon (run walk orienteering with tent and gear) in Scotland last October, so certainly out and about image

Have you any events planned coming up? I hadn't done a race since the marathons in 2007 until we went up to London to do a 10k last month, nothing else planned; will have to see how it goes.

• Goodness how times change it sounds a lot better than a castimage

That was a good event with Boff jnr and great to hear you are able to do as much as before you injured your back.

I have completed 2 events this year and they were the first in 8 year Swansea half marathon which was just see if my Achilles can run that far as the furtherest was 10 miles and I raised money so i could not back out even when I sprain/twisted ankle and was out of action for 3 weeks in fact it is still tender.Then I ran Brecon 10 miles as a training run on the hottest day of the year and hills but I got around.

I am running Lake V in September again as a training run(1pm start and I hate running then I love early in the morning) then Cardiff half in October in a hope to achieve a good time but if I don't so be itimage

Then next year will work on 10k's

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • i am swam three times this week....more than the rest of the year in total.......havent run for over 2 weeks now just to give my legs a rest........

will try a parkrun on saturday...

Tomorrow is result day in this house as well so trying to keep stress levels down

• Seren

It is perfect weather for swimming....have you been racing a lot this year?

What parkrun are you going to do?

I have run a few parkruns but had a nasty fall on the course so don't think I will go back to that one and Saturday's are family day normally.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Poppy.....I dedicated the last year to training for the lakeland 100 ultra which i did 2 weeks ago......

I dropped cycling and swimming so that I could focus totally on the offroad long distance stuff......

I was so chuffed when i finished it......I was only 24 mins before the cutoff but that was enough to get the medal and tshirt and the memories.....

so now I'm just easing back into swimming and cycling again....

• Afternoonimage

Brave miles to start back at Poppy, but you managed them and twisted ankle aside hopefully the stronger for it - keep the niggles at bay and you will be on good form for Cardiff image

Finishing is enough in itself Seren - after 100 miles who cares about 24 minutes! How did the results fair in your household today?

• Seren

That is amazing 100 miles well done you must be so pleased with yourself and your medalimageimage

I am not surprised you are easing back and giving legs a rest!

Boffin

I had a wee comeback last year got to 10 miles and fell ill for 2 months so started again this year in March so knew I could manage at least 10 but as always was happy with whatever I could doimage

What a wet start to the day at least run completed lets hope tomorrow is a better morning weather wise.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Boffin....... great results day for us.He has got his first choice in Swansea so should be sorted for the next 5 years.......

Hope all went ok in yours

• Afternoonimage

Yes Seren, results all in and Boff Jnr is off to Cardiff - will be interesting for him cooking for himself! His repertoire so far is limited to freezer food, beans and toast, omelettes or cakes!

No good falling ill Poppy - at least you are on the mend and can still get out and run image

• i have had a few weeks teaching my son the slightly varied meals that can be made with mince image

• Ah it brings it all back they soon learn to cook once in digs at Collegeimage

Well done to both young menimage

Talking running or swimming have you guys done any?

8 miles for me this morning before going to Brecon for the dayimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • My first parkrun since new years day............it gives my a time to work off over the next 6 months

• Morningimage

No running for me poppy for the last week - sore Achilles, restricted to stretching and work.

The value of the humble jacket potato! image

• Afternoonimage

Boffin: I hope you ice and do Achilles exercises as well as stretching......The band has not become thickened?

Is that food for todayimage

I made an Apple cake on Friday and my favoriteimage

Seren

A nice benchmark and lots of progress I am sure to come.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • first bike ride this year with cycling club.only 48 miles and no hills but i struggled on every little incline......hoping its linked to giving blood on friday and lack of cycling and I will improve quickly

• Morningimage

Achilles is only a twinge Poppy; not injured - nothing serious image  I am older now than I was and have not trained regularly for a long time, so hardly surprising that I should get twinges. Common failing is little or no stretching, hence the problem. Achilles has such a poor blood supply that it will take time to resolve.

I am not doing any specific exercises though; what would you recommend?

No, jacket potato was a culinary suggestion for student living - lots of quick and easy options with the humble jacket spud image

Apple cake; nice image

Cross training Seren - you have been focused on running alone, so other muscle combos are not what you would like. I doubt very much your performance has any significance to giving blood two days earlier - might have had a marginal effect, but most likely just the balance of muscle groups used for cycling. Yes, absolutely certain your cycling performance will quickly bounce back and beyond - just don't go getting injured!