Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Well done Sue, you are mad but in a brilliant way.
  • This is the nutters thread Tracey.  Madder the better.  With me as support crew, what do you expect?  Sue you are amazing.

• Morning allimage

Hope we are all recovering after a great weekend.

Thanks for all the support and kind words.

Well done to all that raced. Some excellent times had by all, well done people.

NR, you really lived up to your name out on the courseimage thanks for the support you nutterimage

• Blimey Nutty, what did you do?!
  • Trace, She had her own support area and she screamed and waved louder than anyone else out thereimage. She was a star.
  • Aw Nutty, you are on your own girl, one in a million.

Lovely out there tonight. Went for a 5 mile plod through the woods. It was warm but nice and the beach on the way back was fantastic. The tide was all the way in and like a mill pond. There were even ducks on it!

So when is the post marathon pie fest? Are we going somewhere lovely? Or shall we have it round mine?
  • Hello all

It was lovely out there today Tracey.

A pie fest is  much needed I think.  Everyone did so well on the weekend.

I was in full on supporter mode on Sunday, entertaining the crowds and runners!!!  I coughed and spluttered a bit too image

• Evening all. Had a great run tonight. Since the Llanelli HM I've been a bit lazy and very busy on exams etc so only slotted 3 or 4 mile easy runs in when I could.

Finished exams on Thursday, birthday weekend over, so back to it now.

Dropped daughter off in Guides and did a 5mile tempo run and as I had time to spare ended it with a 30mins cool down walk around the pond afterwards*. All in lovely sunshine.

I love running.

Kev

*I stopped running at 5 miles and walked as it said 5miles on run 1 of my 8 week schedule and after the last time - say after me I WILL NOT OVER TRAIN!

• Hi all. just did the pentrych hill race for the first time..............

7 miles 1600ft of climbing fell race.........................It was alovely evening for it and although legs were a bit tired from yesterdays bike ride i gave it a go..................1:20 averaging 11:24............fastest mile *:24.......slowest mile 15:30image

really enjopyed it despite the hills.shower and bed nowimage

well done Kev for getting startedimage

• Seren - well done.  Sleep well.

Kev - you are really hooked!! Glad exams are out of the way.  Hope you had a great birthday.

• Seren, well done its a very hard race, but great funimage

Kev, welcome back to the running worldimage.

NR, hope you managed to sort the card business out.

• FL - I went round the banks today.  Hope to get the bulk of the money back. They went crazy with my cards for an hour.  Not good but I still enjoyed the weekend.  Its all sent to try us.....Thanks for asking
  • Hope you get it all sorted soon. Love the way that you are so calm and relaxed about thingsimage 
  • Cheers Guys - I'm calling this Phase 2!

Yes NR - weekend was fab. 25 of us went to Chirk in North Wales. Lots of walks, BBQ's, Beer Gardens and get togethers!

What was best was the kids, when not out walking, spent all weekend as a gang building "dens" in the woods.

So many kids are growing up missing the things like that we did.

Glad to be back in the running fold.

• FL - not so calm and relaxed all the time.  Was determined not to let it spoil the weekend though.  How are your legs today?

Any news from Mad Mark? GraV?

• Seren, which would you prefer, Scenic 7 or Pentrych Hill? I have never run Pentrych although often thought about it - didn't know there was an organised race though!

Like the idea of a Pie Fest - might be a bit chilly for outdorrs just yet, maybe keep it a homely venue? I would like to host a Pie Fest here in the wilderness - but lets wait until we have a least some plaster on the walls!! - maybe a Summer Wilderness Pie Fest?

Not sure I can survive without pie for that long so would be up for an earlier option - if you're offering Tracey I will bring Pie...

....Mmmmmmm Pieimage

• Legs are good thanks, did a slow 4 mile down to the river this morning. Had to take Spikey outimage. Just dont mention the knee!!!
  • Boffin.............to be honest i preffered pentrych because 5 of the 7 miles were offroad...............but its much harder as there are parts that are impossible to run up apart from the seasoned fell runners.even good club runners can't run up all the hills.and the down hills are hard because of the terrain..........

scenic 7 is all on road and all runable............when i did it my time was 1:03 I think so much faster than today.......but still very scenic and you get water which i could have done with today..........

so i enjoy both but they are very different despite being scenic..............

the pentrych one is more like the sihowy challenge which is about 10 miles and on May 16th..........that is mostly offroad with lots of hills......image

• Good old Spikey.  Rest that knee, it worked hard on Sunday image
  • Gosh, did I fall asleep? An entire conversation was had whilst I was dreaming of pies!!

....Mmmmmmm pie! - oops there I go again!

Nutty you're spot on not to let it ruin your weekend - after all there was nothing more you could have done at the time. I would be surprised if you are liable for any of the fraudulent purchases - the card company were told, so you should either get the money refunded or not have to pay it at all?

Non the less irritating though - hope you get it sorted soon.

• They used several cards and one bank has said they won't refund. My own fault.  Forget it though.  Its sent to try us and worse things can happen.

Thanks for your kind words all.

• Indeed worse things can happen, so long as you are Ok is what mattersimage - First I heard that one of my cards was cloned was when I got a bill for multiple taxi fares in Sri Lanka... when I was in Caerphilly! Confused me no end at the time because I still had my cards - some dodger in a local petrol station cloned the card - I had no idea!

Police later told me that there were a number of chipped card readers being used by a gang - they replaced the genuine reader so when you used your card it put the transaction through and retained sufficient information to produce a cloned card at a later date.

...maybe we should go back to keeping money stuffed in the mattress? Or bartering... how do you put a value on a pie?

.....Mmmmm pie image

• Morning NRimage

VLM was a bit of a disaster for me,started cramping at 18 or 19 by 23 seized up completely and could not run at allimage,walked the last 3 mile and scraped in at 3hr59image 25 minutes slower than last yearimage As a novice marathon runner I am learning fast what a beast it isimage Glad you had a great weekend despite losing your cardsimage See you on the 5 Ksimage

• Hi Mark

Marathons are hard to master.  It was humid and hard to run on Sunday so don't be too  hard on yourself.  Anne Thomas gave me a pair of her gloves.  She is in the same club as you isn't she?  Can you give them to her for me please?

Lovely day out there today.  Have a good one all image

• Cheers NR,funnily enough I am not really down  about it because i wanted to run but my legs would not let meimage and physically  i did not seem that tired at the end,

Yes I will see Ann in the near future so will take them off you at the 5 kimage

• Morning all

MM, I also struggled with cramp over the last 4 mile. It slowed me right downimage but the rest of the body felt great and still wanted to push on faster! Second time I have had cramp in that race at the same pointimage. May be I didn't take on enough fluidsimage.

Seren, hows the lags after them hills last night?

• morning

I also had cramp strangely enough, in the last 2 or 3 miles. I know I took on enough fluid and I had gels and electrolyte tablets as well. For me, I think it was lack of training in the old leggies and they were objecting loudly and painfully!

My energy levels are coming back up now though and the injury I had has not bitten, so on we go image

• Morning!

Swimming for me today as its grand prix night in club and I don't race.

• Heres my race report ...

Well, My Virgin London Marathon in 2010 was supposed to be a triumph. I had racked up more miles than ever and was, I hoped, heading for a glorious 2:59:59 or so I hoped.

It was not to be, and really I knew that before I started. I was in the Good for Age start on the front of the red posse. I wasn’t feeling great. Over sixteen weeks of training I had taken four off with injury the latest being the week before the marathon. A very gentle test four mile run on the Friday before the race had only just worked out and I was nursing a problematic ankle.

I decided that however I felt I would launch off at sub 3 pace, and would see what happened. In all honesty it went ok until about mile 9, but my head started playing games with me from mile 3. My ankle was fine, but I was running with a flatter gait to protect it. This made me feel my quads somewhat and I was convinced I was doomed; failure was all I could think about. Everyone was telling me I was looking fine but inside I was a boiling cauldron of negative thoughts.

I did make it to half way in 1:30 dead. Had I been feeling fine it would have been one thing. I had run a half that for me was relatively slow but despite this was feeling like death. Several runners I knew had overtaken me and in all honesty I gave up trying. I decided that so long as I didn’t have the indignity of having to walk I would be fine.

So, as the race went on I steadily lost time running eight or so minute miles all the way. The support at mile 17 was great, I threw off my vest as I was far too hot and hit some poor forumite supporter right in the face.

I have to say too that the crowd support was great. With no vest I was having loads of cheers, ‘go naked man’, and one St Johns girl shouted ‘rub some vaz on for the girls’ ! I really didn’t know I could have that effect.

Gradually, once I woke up and listened to the enthusiasm of the day, the crowd began to have an effect and I eventually picked my head up, stopped staring at my shoes and enjoyed the last two miles. Finally, a sprint finish to the aptly increasing pace of Zorba’s dance saw me over the line in 3:18. This was a time that years ago I would have killed for but which now is not just a miss, but a miss by nearly three miles !

On reflection I now realise I have made a number of mistakes. In training this time around I decided to focus on mileage rather than quality training. Running 80 poor miles per week rather than 60 quality ones was a mistake and I do really need to remind myself of the mantra which is, PMA not PMT : Positive Mental Attitude not Pre Marathon Tension.