running in this heat

i am trainin to do the GNR this yr an went for a run this afternoon, i nearly baked!! has anyone got any good strategies for keepin to your schedule when the weather gets too hot to run in?! - i ended up walking lots today as my legs felt like lead an i felt v.hot. i am only up to 3 miles at the mo and that is only at 13min miles pace! (hence the name), i dont want to get put off from running in the heat tho....so, what do you guuys do?

Comments

• Grow waist-length hair & shower first.
    Run at 4am.
  • hmmm now i am trying to figure out how growing waist length hair will help? didnt realise there was a 4 am? :-)
  • I have waist length hair. Showering first doesn't work. The water just warms up as you run :)
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

like your name - dead slow. With the emphasis on dead, and slow.
  • Dunk it in icy cold water then! that way you want to get warm quickly.
    I'm a student - i just see 4am from a different side to my housemates :)
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I agree run as early as you can in the morning.....don't really fancy dunking hair in icy water though;-)

try to avoid races that start at 11am or later:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • ah! i see, hmm don't fancy the hair dunking either tho!....looks like i will be getting up a little earlier than usual while it's hot :(
    thanks welsh alex, yeah that is exactly how i felt when i ran this afternoon dead and slow! hehehe :)
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I go out all year at 5.30am it is perfect the air is so fresh and clean.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • run when its cooler

but try getting a bandana , soaking it in cold water and tie it round your neck

maybe have a wash or even a shower in cold water so you dont start off too hot

you could even soak your vest or tshirt in cold water and then put it on to cool you down before you start in this heat

take a very cold bottle of water with you and drink it or pour it over you

• but if you are a girlie then avoid the 'wet t-shirt comp.' look!
  • I went out for a 90 minute, 11.5 mile run at midday today. Was very hot indeed, but I made sure I kept the pace down and had a drink with me.

I enjoy running in the heat now, although sometimes it can be a bit too hot. I used to hate it, but I've gradually acclimatised myself to it and always run slower that I would in cooler weather, except when I am racing.

I am entering the Wycombe half marathon in three weeks time, for the sixth successive year. Two of those years have been incredibly hot, one of them with 20% of the people who started, dropping out during the race. I now finish in about the top 10% for this race, simply because I have prepared for it by running in how weather. It really is just a matter of gradual acclimatisation.
  • cheers buney, lots of good advice there - although as duck girl says i am a girlie so i will try to avoid the 'wet t-shirt comp look'
    thanks for the advice forest runner - good luck with the half!
    DS
  • Wet T shirt....drains can and pulls up chair, pops another tube from the chair fridge.....

Best tip, use shaded route.
  • The only extra advice I can give you is:
    1. Make sure you drink enough fluid in the day before your run. (Or if you run early before you go to bed.)
    2. Wear suitable clothing i.e. don't wear long bottoms in 30c heat.
    3. MENTALLY tell yourself you can run the distance and don't worry about running it slower.
  • Was baking hot already at 7 this morning. Waited until 6 last night and it was still too hot :-(

Took lots of water and didn't worry about time, feel really good now :-)

Guess I shouldn't complain cos I hate it when it's cold and damp.

Happy plodding everyone.
  • i am trying to convince myself to go for a plod as a lot of races mean running midday in the heat

am really trying to convincemyself to go

get a suntan as well :-D
  • racing at 1pm only a 10k, forecast is thundershowers sometime this afternoon. Guess I will be rather damp either from sweating or rain when I finish. If its really to hot to race just have to forget about times and just get around as comfortably as you can.
  • Important - Wear a white baseball cap or something else that keeps the sun off your face and deflects some of the sun from the top of your head. It also stops you squinting, helps to prevent eye problems later in life, and the sweat band diverts the sweat a bit and stops it running into your eyes.

What a great tool the baseball cap is!
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    I'm sitting out in the sun wearing very little trying to blend in silly tan lines I've acquired from my running tops!!

Just came in for more water!! My run is going to be about 6 this evening, hope it will have cooled down by then :-)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I hate the heat but managed a gentle 10 miles or so this morning.

Some random tips, some of them already given above:
    - seek out shade, best of all off tarmac, along trails, in woods; bike or drive to a suitable place if you need to;
    - go slow, slow, slow;
    - wear suitable gear, wicking is best, protect shoulders and vulnerable areas so not necessarily a vest;
    - hydrate!! and this means not just water, look at electrolyte drinks or nuun tablets (which I've just discovered, and they're ace - www.nuun.com);
    - protect your head, wear a cap or look at the visor buffs at buffwear.co.uk, these protect the back of your neck too;
    - treat yourself to a cold beer when you get home (unless you have to go to work like me, sniff).

Hope this helps!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    One more thought - it's worth sticking to the hot weather running. As summer ends and the weather cools, you might find the running gets much easier. I've always scored my pb's in autumn.
  • I went out at 8am and it was already 24.5 degrees, really struggled for 6 miles but i did most things you all suggested except the hat.....................however as i was starting out i saw a lady with full length tack btms on a long sleaved shirt and..........a gilet (sleaveless top thing)!!!! Dont know what planet she was from......!

• YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    I'm going for my long run this evening, and am not looking forward to it because it's boiling hot out there!

However, it will be good preparation for a 10K I'm doing in July, so needs must.

I shall be carrying two RunAid bottles, will wear my Adidas Climacool cap (best buy this year), and will probably be jogging around at about 2 minutes/mile slower than normal......

Still, I'll have more time to admire the beautiful countryside, and will hopefully beat my record for most number of rabbits!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Oh, and one more ... I always find it easier to run in the mornings if it's stinking hot. And I'm not a morning person.

Just seems to me that early on the air seems crisper and cleaner, as if I'm the first person to breathe it in. In the evening it's a polluted, used kind of air.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I've seen folk overdressed like that, PB. My hunch is they think that if they make themselves sweat more, they'll lose more weight (with no disrespect intended, they're often, erm, well upholstered and of a certain age).
  • My observation is that the heat at the moment is much worse than might otherwise be the case, because it has come suddenly and we have not had time to acclimatise. If the temperature had gradually increased over the last couple of weeks, our bodies would adjust to it more easily.

I agree with the earlier advice - run early and take lots of water (Camelbaks are great for this). And don't dress head-to-toe in black or wear a tracksuit.
  • I really struggled today in the heat...but I did see a man out running wearing shell suit style tracksuit bottoms and a long sleeved top! Bonkers...
  • BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    I didn't go out this morning (I usually do on a Sunday) and had told myself that I would go this evening when it is cooler. After reading this I have remembered how awful I felt on Friday in the heat and don't want to go at all now!
  • I tried this morning at 8am and phoned home for a lift back after 5K. Just couldn't do it - I thought my head was going to explode with the heat. It makes me want to shave all my hair off...
    I was wearing wicking everything but just felt awful. There didn't seem to be any breeze either.
    I'm used to running at lunchtimes in the heat but this was just dreadful.

Funnily enough, I didn't see anyone and I usually see at least 8 others running and some cyclists. The only other mad people out were off getting their Sunday papers.