Options

Timex SDM

Comments

• Options
    Boing... (for Adam Davies)
  • Options
    Hi Muzzer,

Has yours come yet?

RC - which shipping did you use? The standard one or a different one?
  • Options
    Hi Wee Piglet, paid out for the extra USPS Global Priority Mail, but nothing yet. Even the tracking link on the can't find it, so may have to start panicking next week.
  • Options
    Hi Muzzer,

No sign of mine yet either. I was in such a hurry to buy it that I forgot to go for the priority postage with insurance... doh! Just getting a bit anxious now. Hopefully it'll be here on Monday, and yours too. Lemme know.
  • Options
    WP, arrived home from shopping this evening and the other half handed me a parcel. Yippee, just spent an hour working out all the options. First trial tomorrow on the long run, extra incentive to get out of bed tomorrow.

Not quite the three days delivery, but not worried, just so happy now. Good luck with yours arriving.
  • Options
    How have you SDM owners found the battery usage. If memory serves the RunnersWorld product test said it was a bit hungry for them.
  • Options
    Hipper, documentation says 12hrs but earlier threads sounds a bit less then that. My advice is keep the triple-a's handy. I run 4-6hrs a week, so I'll report back in a fortnight or so.
  • Options
    WP - I used the standard shipping, and it took about 5 days (with a bank holiday in the middle).

I wouldn't panic if I were you. I think these people are pretty good. Just send them a mail and ask if the watch has been despatched.

Andy
  • Options
    It arrived this morning :-) I was getting worried that maybe it had "gone missing" at this end, as a CD I bought from the States via Ebay prior to Christmas still hasn't arrived. However, the Timex is here now, and it's lovely :-) Drool.....

Muzzer - I'm glad to hear that yours arrived safely on Saturday :-)
  • Options
    Havn't timed the battery life, but doesn't seem too bad. 12 hours is probably right from a set of Duracells or equivalent.
  • Options
    I've just changed my first batteries. Not sure how long they lasted, but the monitor function showed 100% for a long time. Then, the run before last, the diagram showed the level slightly down. After today's run it showed them at 50%, so I decided to change them.

I've put rechargable batteries in now - I think they're a wise investment.
  • Options
    I've had mine about five or six months and I get about ten hours out of a set of long-life (but not Duracell) batteries.

I did try rechargeable batteries but they only seemed to last a couple of hours before they needed to be recharged...

• Options
    I've ordered my Timex SDM and am eagerly awaiting to get my hands on it... but what is the consensus about using rechargable batteries.. I gulped when i found that noraml (longlife) batteries will only last about 12 hours - so what's that? go through 2-3 packs a week?!?! I only just about persuaded the missus to let me have the thing in the first place... didn't think I needed to persuade her to take out shares in duracell!!!!
  • Options
    Well I've put my first set of rechargeables in, but it's too early to say how long they will last. After about an hour, the watch still shows 100%. (But so did the previous batteries for most of their life).
  • Options
    stevie boy,

the batteries being discussed are those on the gps unit which you only use when you're actually running, so you'd want to be doing some serious mileage to go through 2-3 packs a week. 12 hours running at 8 minute miles? 90 miles, about two and a half weeks for me. cheaper than smoking. (that's my standard response to any expense questions from my missus.)
  • Options
    Oops got my calculations wrong duh!

that's not so bad, but it's still a little extravagent...getting the batteries every week with your weekly shop... but I still like the idea of rechargables... Alan mentioned that they only last a couple of hours (which should be fine for most runs)... so was think of investing in rechargables and reverting to normal ones should I ever go on a run that's longer than 2 hours... does this sound applicable??
  • Options
    Humph3 - I eagerly await your report on "The life and soul of rechargable batteries in the Timex SDM - Pros and Cons"... 450 words should do it.... (!)
  • Options
    I'm glad there's someone out there - other than me - who finds my every word fascinating!

I'll keep you posted on a regular basis.
  • Options
    I've had my SDM for a few months now and have used rechargeables from the beginning. They do seem to last about 12 hours. I would recommend it, there's always a set waiting in the recharger and I just check the battery indicator before going for a long run and replace when necessary.
  • Options
    That sounds like the best idea... i suppose it is worth investing in a decent recharger at the same time...

but how frustrating can you get???? Just been out for a quick run... arrived home and within 5 mins the doorbell was ringing with the postman delivering my Timex SDM!!!!! I'll just have to try it out another day....
  • Options
    Hi Ratcather

How do you check the battery level. This only seems to work when the unit is 'on' outside and is picking up its GPS signals? I can't get the battery indicator to work when I am indoors, but again with the unit 'on'.
  • Options
    I wouldn't switch the unit on indoors. If it can't get a signal it will assume you've gone to another part of the world and start scanning for all gps satellites. This will mean that it will take a lot longer for the unit to lock on when you do go outside.

I just usually check mine at the end of evry run, when I've stopped the watch but haven't yet turned the unit off.
  • Options
    Thanks Humph3.

That is what I do. However was curious about the possibility of finding out the battery level before stepping outdoors.
  • Options
    Mr L ordered Timex SDM for me from some place in the US and we had to pay about $30 for customs when it was delivered!
    Haven't got to use it yet as when I tried to get the satelite link if would only search...will go try standing in a big field tomorrow!
  • Options
    Hi all,
    this is my first message on this site, but i just wanted to thank all for the useful info on SDM's. I have ordered mine from Joetimex, and i can wait to test mine out when it arrives.
    Good luck all!!
  • Options
    If you haven't got one yet and you are thinking about getting one - get on with it - I have had mine for 2 days and it is bloody fantastic. There are loads of places on the internet - just do a bit of searching and there are loads of sites.
    I got mine from watchmerun.com it worked out at about £120 and was here in a few days.
  • Options
    Strange thing happended this morning.

If you look back on this thread, you'll see I promised to keep you all updated on the life of my rechargeable batteries in my timex SDM.

Well, I hadn't thought much more about this until this morning, out running, when I remembered and thought that I must post an update. At that very moment my watch beeped. Strange, I thought, too early for the 3 mile mark surely. I looked down at the watch and saw it had the 'waves' in the top left that show the watch isn't getting the signal from the SDM unit. I looked at the SDM unit and saw that the green light was flashing very faintly.

So I guess the batteries went very suddenly. At the end of the run before, the monitor had showed them at 100%. Bizarre how it happened just as I was thinking about them. Perhaps I should try using this reverse psychology on the unit to see if it can make naked supermodels appear in my bed when I get home...

When I get back home I'll go through my training log and let you know how long the batteries lasted. I'd imagine about 4 hours. Someone else posted here about how their rechargables suddnely died after about the same time.
  • Options
    4 hours, Humph3? Gosh, that's not v. long. I've never had rechargable batteries before. Do they come in different capacities, if you see what I mean?

Interestingly (well, not *that* interestingly, I suppose!), I found that my Garmin walking GPS just whizzed through batteries at a truly alarming rate. In fact, I took to turning it off when I wasn't actively looking at it, as otherwise a set of fresh Duracell (triple whammy strength) wouldn't necessarily last me even a day's walking. Hope it's not going to be a similar story with the SDM.

(Naked supermodels?? Make that scrummy food waiting for me on my return from my long run, and I'll buy another SDM to do the washing up! :-)
  • Options
    Checking my log, they lasted 5½ hours.

It may be to do with my battery charging unit. The batteries give details of 'Fast', 'Quick' and 'Standard' Charges, but my charger only has one setting. Reading the ampage details on it, it seems to be doing a 'Quick' charge. Maybe a 'Standard' charge would last longer.

In any case, I'll just have to get into a routine of regularly charging my batteries on a Sunday. Still think they're better than keep buying new ones.
  • Options
    I bought the cheapest Argos charger and batteries and have now gone back to non rechargeables because of the hopeless length of time that rechargeables lasted.

Alan