RW

RW,
just to clear things up right from the beginning of training could you let us know if the pacers are going to be pacing actual race times or clock times.

As I recall last year they were running slightly faster to get to the finish using the finish clock time.

So for a 3.30 time does the runner need to be able to run 8 min miles to keep up or 7.50-55.

By the way the pacers do a great job, please find some more for the Green start!!

Comments

• I believe that the pacers do go for the clock finnish minus 2 mins. So for 3.30 they'll be aiming for 2.28 ish.

They were a god send for me last year. Instead of me following them I used them to push me along. I think this was a sphycologically easier thing to do, being pushed along rather than chasing them.
    The b*st*rds sped up for the last mile though. Still it was nice to see one of then looking worse than me at the finnish.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hilly, if my training keeps going the way it has been I'll be pacing you!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry drew, is that because you're having a bad time with training or because you really are offering to be a RW pacer? Sorry if I'm being a little dim here!

PM, the 3.30 pacers caught up with me at about 5 miles! I obviously went off too fast, but then after 12 miles I couldn't keep up with them and started to have real problems. I hope not to be in that postion this time round!

Idealy, I'd like to tag on to them for say 20 miles and then IF strong enough, push on a little harder to get nearer my potential time.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hilly, I'm currently struggling to do my long runs at under 8 min mile pace! My target of 2:45 looks rather optimistic at present. If I'm not fit enough for a PB then I will just be doing it for fun, not for a time.

I think your idea of pushing on after 20 miles is quite sound, especially if they are going for the clock time. Could get close to your 3:20 with this approach.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Drew, I'm sorry you're long runs are not going to plan at the moment. 8 min mile pace should be a doddle for you! Are you suffering with a virus or something? Hopefully, it's nothing that won't right itself in time to get some quality long runs in.

If the worst happens and you really aren't fit enough to go for your own target, which I truly hope isn't the case, then you would make an excellent pacer for the sub 3.30 green start runners!!

On the subject of marathon targets, do you think for the first few miles I should run slower than marathon pace, or get straight into pace, not faster though?
  • The top runners all seem to do negative splits these days.

Having said that, they don't have a road clogged up with thousands of other runners that they have to fight past when they speed up! Realistically, going out too slow might not be much of an option, or at least, if you do, getting faster later may not be possible.

I think I'd start out on pace, and then speed up later if I felt stronger (and get the chance). It may partly depend how crowded the road is at 3:30 pace. I'm aiming for a similar pace so I may just see you :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I agree Iain getting past thousands of runners doesn't make for easy pacing. Thinking back to last year, I didn't really get a good clear running space until about 15 miles, by which time I'd been feeling quite ill for a while.

what start are you on?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hilly, I went with the 3h30 pacers last year ( I can say that now - 2002!).
    They run to get to 3h30 by the clock at the finish, it took us around 1min30s to cross the start (blue) and we were about 2-3 mins ahead of the red start pacers at mile5.
    my 5m splits,by my watch,if it helps,were 39.40,39.48,38.50,39.16 at mile 22 the pacers pushed on,by which time I was beginning to tire, so my last 6.2 were 53.35 (3.31.02) they finished in around 3.28 (so about 49mins or so for the last 6.2m).

Hope that helps.
    With hindsight maybe 3h30 was a bit optimistic for me (was aiming for 3.37) but I'm glad I went with the pacers and only really felt it in the last 2-3.When I registered the RW desk advised that I should run with the 3h30s but revise my pace every 5 miles or so, this I did and at mile 20 I knew I wasn't going to stick with them, but by then the adrenalin had taken hold and it was only 10k to the finish..............
  • I intend running with the sub 4 hr pacers, as that is my dream, only done one other 26.2(Dublin 2002) and did 4.22.21, but hit the wall at m20-m22, mind you I was injured or ill for 5 of the last 7 weeks of training, and had never run more than 16 miles prior to the race, so this time I think that sub 4, is well in my grasp, and the pacers should help(i hope)
  • I'm on the red start, so I almost certainly won't see you come to think of it, unless of course we happen to bump into each other en route or at the start.

Depending on how the training goes I'm either going to go with the 3:30 or the 3:15 guys. 3:15 is a tad optimistic, but then again...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well you never know Iain, not if you follow the 3.15 guys though!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dustin, the splits are very useful. I note the second half did get slightly faster, but even so very good pacing.
  • I think I'll be following at a bit of a distnce - like about 15 minutes behind :-)
  • Hilly

I think it is pretty safe to say that the pacers will go on clock time - afterall they don't know how long it took people to cross the line. By going on clock time they at least know that everyone finishing with them has done a sub 3.30 for example
  • how do you know what colour start you are on???
    being a FLM virgin and all that
  • I was wondering that as well. Being a first timer I hope to finish the FLM in 5 hrs approx. What is this colour start thing all about, also are there pacer groups for the slower ones like me! I am running with a golden bond place not through the ballot.

Happy new year everyone, by the way.
  • Hi there everybody. Sounds like most of you r FLM vets. Ive only run 2 but would say 2 anyone like Legless & Sara, Ave total faith in the pacers and stick with em all d way.
    Last year I got 2big for my boots(or trainers) and left the pacers at about 15mile. I ran with some NUTTER called TOM, anyway come 21miles I was shattered, dead on my feat, I think I hit more than just a Wall.Come the last 3/4 mile my pacers and those sinsible enough 2 stay with them ran past me with ease, while I was almost walking. Barry the sub 345 pacer crossed the line and waited 4 me to shake my hand. I wish I just stayed with him. FLM Pacers r the dogs dangleys. Top notch.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Legless & Sara, you will be told what colour start you are on when you get your registration pack in March. Basically there are 3 starts, blue, red and green. The elites go from the blue, then some of the mass behind them, the majority of the mass from red and Good for Age and celebrities from the green.

RW have pacers for quite a few target times Sara, but I'm not sure who or how many.

Good luck all!