Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    You marshalling the 10k this w/e, Mr P?
  • No - I did the Windsor Tri last weekend and didn't really plan much beyond that. Just gonna take a steady plod around the block on Sunday. I'm always up for a group run on a Sunday if anyone fanices it!
  • Pathfinder what about High Elms on a Sunday morning Last Sunday we did a steady 12 miles out to M25 across the hills over Westeram got back around 11.15am, I think there were around 15 to start and 10 at the end.
  • 5 got lost? Sounds like a dangerous run out in the Westerham Wilds!!

Thanks Ashley. Sounds like a good option. Is that an ORR group? My membership has lapsed unfortunately. Guess i'll have to think about renewing it.
  • Its the HERO's a mix of ORR and Blackheath I think. I doubt if anyone is going to be worried about the little issue of membership though!

See you Sunday, I heard last night though that the event is already sold out with 500 entrants.
  • Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    Hi, all

off to sunny (41C) Bulgaria for a week's break on Monday, and some warm weather training (early doors!)

See y'all when I return.

btw Ashley. is the old Bacchaleian Family fun run in WW being re-staged this year? - I have two people looking to do it again, but can't find anything on it when I google.
  • Richard sent application form over to you.

I will be racing it this year (4 mile course) while my partner will be doing the 10 mile course.

You know your old when you can race in the Vets catagory. I have picked up with Bromley Vets and ran as a guest on Monday in 100m which was great fun ( and more my distance!). Still one more meeting this season where I will try 200m again as a guest and then next year hopefully as a full team member.
  • gosh - quiet in 'ere, innit?

Never got round to doing that one, Ashley.

Just ticking over doing 20 miles per week on average over the summer.

Anyone fancy doing a medium length (say 10 to 12 miles) run one of the next two weekends?
  • Snoops there is alway the High Elms group that meets at the car park at High Elms on a Sunday morning (the car park after the golf course) they set off at 9am and run between 6 -12 miles depending on who is leading the group. I think it is normally around 8 miles though... The pace is around 10 minute miles.

If you know the Petts Wood 10k route though I would be up for a training run around that once a week in the mornings. I am living a little closer to you at the moment in the knowle so could come round to you for around 7.30. I am hoping to train up to complete the course in 41 minutes as it will be my 41st birthday one the 14th (nice play with the numbers... 10k 10th month....and so on... Only an accountant could get so anal about a race !!!!!!)

Im back to 6.25 minute miles at a comfortable pace so need to improve my endurance to sustain this speed for the 10k.

Oh and if I complete my target it will be champers at the finish line!!!!
  • Hello Ashley

i am from Biggin Hill. worked at FOAL Farm for years, so have used high Elms for walking purposes.

have moved to Denmark, but will be at FOAL Farm weekend of 18th of August,and would love to join your group in High Elms.
    Is this OK?

Any nice hills?
  • Kruserunner There are lots of hills!!!!

The group is a combination of Blackheath Harriers and Orpington Road Runners with approx 10 - 20 in the group.

You will always (as will) anyone who wants to join them.
  • cool. see you on sunday 19th august 9am High Elms golf park car park?

can we confirm that is correct?

cheers

kruse
  • I'm glad to see that everyone is well and keeping up with their training.

Ashley - 41min 10k??!!! Wow! Good luck.

Snoops - I'd be up for that session most other weekends but with social events, holidays and races I don't have any free weekends at the moment.

I'm doing Windsor half in Sept and Lausanne mara in Oct so I've gotta start increasing my mileage.
  • Pathfinder its going to be very very hard and I may not achieve it but what I do know is that I will give it a damn good go. I have realised that I am not a long distance runner and flake pretty soon after 10k distance... or is that due to lack of continued training...still with sub 3 minute 800m times regularly recorded and sub 6.25 minute miles I know I have a chance to get close... and if I fail then there is always next year (when it will be 42 minute target!!!)

Kruse

the car park is the one AFTER the golf course on your left. Its a gravel car park on a steep slope with an exit at the top of the hill into the woods. im guessing its around 3/4 mile further on than the golf course
  • cheers ashley.see you there and then
  • Hi, all!

Ashley Smith - if you think I'm giving you a sneak preview of the PWR 10k course, which is more than my life is worth to give away, you have another thing coming! I am pledged to absolute silence on that one!

Perhaps I'll see you tomorrow at the Orpies v ORR mob match however.
  • Snoops that you will.

I will have a chat with Julian then and see if he can help me... for a £9 fee....
  • Good to see you last night Snoops... Well I must say Snoops junior did very well... I kept up with him for the first mile but he powered ahead and I believe finished 400m ahead of me...

I was well pleased as I achieved my sub 20 minute time for the 3 miles so am on course for my 41 minute 10k, especially as the pace was comfortable and I have no aches or pains whatsoever either after the race or today.

Also achieved a PB in a race situation coming in 12th out of 86 which considering I am now a VET placed me in the top 10% of Vets entered (suddenly age matters!!!!)
  • I live in Bromley and have just taken up running a few weeks ago as a way of getting fit which takes up less time than cycling. And it's something I can do no matter where I am as I travel with work a fair bit.

I haven't read through all the posts on this forum - are there beginners groups in the area? I have set my sights on running the Petts Wood 10k in October. Not sure if that's too ambitious or not but thought if I set myself a goal, it would keep me motivated and disciplined to go out running.

SB
  • If you already cycle you have a base level of fitness. Either Petts Wood Runners (PWR) or Orpington Road Runners (ORR) will be ideal clubs to join either on a full basis or merely over the next eight weeks to get you through the race.

Both clubs have a wide variance of levels and both clubs welcome new people of any level, be it a 16 minute miler or a 6 minute miler. Neither of these clubs are elitest in any way and are both ideal introductory clubs with a good all round mix of runners... Do a Google search for each clubs web site and take your pick, or go along to both and see which you like best.

ORR is the larger of the two clubs being over 400 members now vs PWR around 80 and which was started up by two ORR defectors!

ORR renews members fees annually and you are not required to 'join' until the next year (1st January) so you will be welcome to run with them 'free' until January, but then you will not have the valuable benefit of discounts to races or the insurance.

I wish you every success in your training eight weeks to go, I look forward to meeting you I will be number 41 on the day (as its my 41st Birthday Julian of PWR has said I can have that number especially as I am aiming to try and get a 41 minute time on the day.

• Hello everyone, hope you're all enjoying this lovely summer image

Mr P, once you get back to the new term let me know if you fancy a run over my way midweek.  Hope the Lausanne training's going well.

I should be up for the PW 10K too with my son, I expect him to soundly beat me.  I've picked up the signals of birthday cake on offer!

• Tiger.. there may even be the sound of popping corks if I get my time....
  • Hiya Tigs - a midweek run sounds good. I'm trying to build up for Lausanne but will be taking it relatively easy now that the triathlon season is coming to an end.

I've never actually done a 10k but all this talk of the PWR event is tempting me . . .

• Pathfinder be good to run a local course... I have run around the woods a couple of times now and having lived in Petts Wood for the past eight years never knew they existed or were so big!!!!! (despite being only 1/2 mile from home)...

• Ashley - too many dogs off their leads in those woods for my liking so I usually stick to the main Chislehurst road. I've just taken a look at the route and it seems there are a lot of twists and turns on the course. Do you think there will be a bottle neck leaving the recreation ground? If so, you'll need to be up front early on to make your target time. 
  • Definately there will be a bottle neck at the start and also around most of the course. The ony chance I have is to get at the front from the start and to stay close to it for the whole course, I am hoping to find a 'pacer' to help.

It will be very tough as last week I went to Alton Towers, too many burgers and beer and yesturday I struggled BIG time over a 9 mile course and today my loop from Perry Hall up to Chislehurst, through the woods and back to Petts Wood did not go well being 30 minutes, when I would have thought it should be nearer 20!

Still six weeks to go and so a chance to get back to speed.

Will rest a lot on the Quicksand 15 though in two weeks. 2:40 is my time for the past two years, hoping to do a little better this year, but since I have not run the distance since January I will not be treating it as anything other than a trainging run in preperation.

• Hello!!

Just thought i'd pop in and say hello,as I'm on holiday this week.. so have time to surf on net! ... good to see you Ashley the other week at ORR .. I have just entered the Clapham 10k in October.. so if your running my way at all let me know! ...

H image

• Hi H.

So how come you not been back since... that new man keeping you on your feet... image

Apart from the idiotic idea of running (walking) the Quicksand 15 in two weeks I will be putting all my efforts into the Petts Wood 10k, oh and I think I am doing the Blackheath relay on 22nd as well for the club.

Hope you liked the jokes I emailed you.image

• Hi, everybody.

Have been away from the forums following the footy and worldcup rugby - did get over to Paris for the England v S.A. game (less said the better!) though.

Hope you are all entering the PettsWood 10k on Sunday week - we have an interesting course through some of the more attractive parts of the locality, which may even challenge you a bit - oh, and the chances of Ashley Smith getting sub 41 minutes on his 41st birthday are about the same as a snowball in hell - zip! image

• Unfortunatly having now run the course a couple of times and after what I think was rain last week (Sorry I was in Spain doing a little last minute speed training on the beaches around Mirema 0 the water is lovely and warm and running for 5 miles barefoot in knee deep waves is fantastic fun - even the face plants are more fun than normal!!!)... not to mention a little hill training up the side of a 1200 foot mountain packed with luxury villas .... Anyhow I understand that the PW course is now a nice soggy mass of mud so yep I think Snoops may just be right.. maybe I should look for an alternative.