Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Ahhh....you're all so sweet - Thankyou so much for all the congrats!

Looks like there will be a heathy turnout then for Dartford so best I start training then...this is gonna hurt! 

• I'll be at Dartford also, but in a marshalling capacity as per usual.

Anyone doing the Swanley Christmas Caper (4.2 miles) on 9th December? 't'will be my seventh consecutive one.

• Not sure about Dartford because Lynda and I may be going on a club training weekend in January
  • You'll find that the Orpies training weekend is the week before the DRR 10 in January, Ashley.

So.... what are these rings you'll be flashing at Tiger then? 

• There is talk that we could merge with another club and go the following week instead.
  • ..sorry to hear that it possibly clashes with your weekend away, Ashley.

I'll ask the Dartford 10 committee if they can postpone the race until the following month, so that you can do both events.

Which Sunday in February can you do? (or would a Saturday suit your diary better?)

• Hmmm Now thats a choise and a half. Maybe the summer?

Looks like we may be able to go to the club weekend away after because I think Lynda may be able to get the time off.image

• Would be great to see you all again image
  • good run by young Snoops yesturday, coming in 1st place again yesturday at the Mob Match, but then having 20 years over the rest of us he does have a slight advantage. Didn't get to see the results at the end but guess Orpington won as I know that we had 7 of the first 10 finishers. I managed to stay in 3rd place until mile 2 but lost it after that finishing in 9th. 

Lynda had bought me a Garmin 305 for my birthday and it was interesting to see I ran at 16 miles an hour in the last 100m.  Not sure about the heart rate thingy though as I ran at 120% of max heart rate for most of the race.

• ..well the last 100m was a 1 in 8 downhill gradient, so you would expect to do well just at that point image.

Anyway, congratulations Ashley for the fifth anniversary today of your first ever posting on RW - here it is:-

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=11&UTN=4065&last=1%20&%20SP%20=%20%20&%20V%20=%201

I seem to remember I responded to that, and we started up the Beckenham running club soon after with Slowpoke (where is she now?)

Perhaps we should get everyone together again for a reunion run at Beckenham station on a Saturday morning. You up for that as well Fliss?

• Blimey - where did you drag that thread up from!!!!

Hmmmm.....I could be tempted. What about those dreaded Chislehurst hill sessions - AHHHHHHH!

• We do "those dreaded Chislehurst hill sessions" as you call them most Tuesday evenings in our Petts Wood Runners training seshes, Fliss, if you want to come along one evening (8 p.m. near Petts Wood station - just stay on one more stop after Chislehurst).

Anyway, we wanna see this noo sveltelike figure of yours following all the bonki.... I mean weight losing training of yours. 

• FIVE YEARS ??????

Christ that realy has flown.

Wow and the Bromley thread has been going that long.

So in that time we've had one wedding and one - well lets not go there.

A few bust ups and how many mile between us?

• ..which particular bust-ups were you referring to then?

I get on with everybodyimage 

• ooo-er.

what have we stumbled upon here then?  - not harbouring malevolent thortz, are we Ashley?

spit it out then! image

• nope that was three years ago no reason to go over old ground time to move on.
  • Ah, I wuz right then; you are still harbouring.

...did you a favour though - you gave up wasting further time and effort on pursuing a disastrous ultramarathon dream, and got into shorter stuff instead - you have to admit that was the right thing to do.

..maybe I short think of taking up coaching runners formally....image 

• Thats not all I gave up,

Who knows maybe one day I am try the longer distances again... But for now you are right I much prefer the shorter distances. Got a new PB at Orp 10k Handicap by smashing 2 minutes off my 2004 time. I will be going sub 43 next time since I finished in 43:08 without breaking into a sweat this Tuesday.

And at some point this season Im heading over to PW for one of your 5k handicaps to see how long i can keep up with young Ashley. I managed two miles last Sunday).

• you'll have to be quick then - he's hitting the hippie trail on Wednesday for a year via India/Thailand/'nam/Cambodia/Oz/Kiwi/L.A. and back again next November.

You can take on our Hannah though - she likes to beat the boyz. 

• Hannah is no problem, its Ashley I was looking at trying to keep up with (not beat he has 20 years youth in his favour).

Oh well .. wish him a great time - he will be missed by all at Orpington Road Runners... when is the next Mob Match?

• Sorry to jump in on the thread here! 5 years Congratulations!!! Ashley that was a very impressive time at the 10K !! You beat me by a good bit - 30 secs or so !! Are you doing speed work on Saturdays still? Sorry I couldn't get to the mob match - the photos look good on the Orpington Web Site! Well done I bet it was tough? Good luck to Ashley on his travels! He is seriously fast and flew past me at Maidstone Half a few weeks ago!
  • Hello everyone!! It seems like ages since I last came on the forum. Good to see that everyone is still setting goals and working hard to achieve them.

Just finished resting up after a great holiday in Switzerland. Me and the family did a tour of the Lake Geneva area over half term. . . . oh, and I did 4:12 in the Lausanne mara. A great place to visit and a great race - tough undulating course, though. Recommend it!

Next race: London Marathon 08. I'm not gonna do any racing in the run-up!

• hey - you're in form this year, Mr P - well done on a tough course.

I did the Amsterdam marathon probably the same weekend as you - no proper training for it, and jogged round in 4'33" which I was quite happy about - who wants to train for these things anyway? Boring 20 miler training runs etc etc.

• Hi Benyo and congratulations to you on your appointment last Thursday evening as new PULSE editor.

Pathfinder lovely part of the world that you stayed.  I took Jan there in 1993 to propose to her. We stayed in Geneva.  Did you go to Montraeux?  I stayed there in 1975 for our firsst family holiday at the tender age of 9 because we had family friends who lived there. Been back a couple of times since but mainly only for skiing.

• Ashley - Yeah we stayed in Montreux (cue Deep Purple) and took the mountain railway to the top of the mountain for bright sunshine and a fantastic meal in a retaurant with great views. Also visited Geneva and went into France and stayed in Evian which was really nice. Cheap flights make it well worth the trip.

Next race abroad is the half ironman in Antwerp during the summer hols.

Snoops - I agree with you about the need to cut down the longer runs. Through triathlon training, I've now adopted a policy of just doing a max of 13 milers in the 16 weeks before a race and then doing a blast of 5 or 6 20 milers in the final peak period. It's hard but saves all this 15 and18 mile build-up faff.

• Well done Mr P image  Lausanne does sound lovely!

I thought I'd found the ideal marathon training programme when you said a max of 13 milers .... until I read the bit about 5 or 6 20 milers afterwards .. image

• I found forgetting marathons altogether and concentrating on a max of 10k is far more appealing... in fact the races I am looking forward to the most next season are not more than 400m when Im look at getting back to closer to 60 seconds. image
  • C'mon you two, all y'gotta do is put one foot in front of the other 60,000 times inside 4 hours and you'll feel great!!
  • 60,000 times!!!!!  So that's how you pass the time image