Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Hello folks, Happy New Year to you! (yes I know we are now half way through January ..) image

See some of you at Dartford on Sunday.  Last time I looked at the forecast they were promising hail showers, yippee! image

Anyone heard from Mr P recently? 

• Half way through January... seems more like half way throught the year....even the weather is similar to a standard English Summer !
  • Time to dig up the past.

Im planning on running London  Bridge back to Orpington on Thursday Nights from today through to beginning of March, gradually increasing the miles.

I've advertised through Orpington Road Runners and Snoops perhaps if any PW's want to join me I'd be more than happy.  I plan on trying to build up miles but not speed on these runs so would be looking to run around 9 minute pace, although if there are any peps who want to do it at sub 8 I wouldn't rule this out as training is on target for 3:15 - 3:30 at London....

• Hi, I'll be on for Thursday this week, but not next week.

What time will you be leaving? 

• 6.30 from London Bridge

Week 2 26/02/09
    London Bridge, Rotherhithe, Deptford, Lewisham, Catford, Downham, Bromley, Petts Wood, Orpington. Distance approx 14 miles.

http://orprunners.com/marathonfile.html

Propose to meet outside London Dungeons (suitable place !).

If its not too late would you like to make an announcement at Petts Wood Runners tonight and extend the offer to anyone at the club who wants to join us.

Oh and any Forumites who happen to come accross this thread your also more than welcome. Look out for a strange group of runners lurking around London Dungeons in Bright Yellow shirts - or White !

• I'll get a train there to arrive at LB by 18.20
  • OK see you there.... I will not be in Bright Yellow after all but a nice WHITE FLM 2008 Staff coat instead. (appropriate !).

See you later.

• 13.71 miles to my house from LB. Thanks for the company.

If you do that every week and keep adding an additional mile, as well as a LSR over the weekend, you'll be well on the way to completing your required mileage - just try to avoid getting stale from over training though - that's what got to me 7 years ago.

• Will do... And one of the reasons Im trying to run with different people throughout the week and on different runs at different paces. Last night was circa 10.5 minute miling.  my Long Runs at weekends (18 -20 miles) will be circa 8-9 minute miling and my shorter Tuesday night runs (10 -13 miles) will be sub 7.30.

Hopefully I can alternate and keep the motivation going... Certainly the Good For Age is a major target... I have a score to settle with London and this year I intend to do just that, and to do it in style...  No more sub four targets... 2009 is sub 3:15image

• A rather dissapointing 2:35 yesturday. OK shouldn;t be unhappy as its a new PB.

I set off way too fast, got to mile 7 in 34 minutes and realised I needed to slow down, went through 10 in 72 minutes and blew up at 13. By mile 19 I was down to 11 minute miling although I managed to rally with a little encouregement at the end.  Oh well, a little more work on getting the pace right and I should be OK and ready for Good For Age... Just need to ensure I dont run any faster in training than 7.30 and to get a nice training pace going of 8 minute miling to make the grade.

• You did the first seven miles in sub 5 minute miles?

..and the next three miles in 13 minutes miles?

Something wrong with your times there, Ashley.

But 2hrs 35 mins is a good overall time, nevertheless, if your pacing had been consistent. 

• Sounds like something has gone serioulsy wrong there... Mile 7 was 49 minutes, mile 5 was 34.50.
  • OK so one week and it will all be over, we'll be in the local with our club mates reliving the day and )hopefully) our achievement and new PB, or in Snoops case new Photo opportunity.

Good luck Snoops, enjoy the day.

For me and after your inspiration, I have a real target this year on the sub 3.15... If I get it I'll let you all know... My turn to go for a Guiness World Record next year... (but need guaranteed entry to do it)...

Lets hope the weather was like today. Cool, bright and not too hot.

• Yes, it's this Sunday, innit?

Targetting a very slow FLM again, hopefully no faster than 4hrs 55 mins.

It'll be quite warm again, which is great, because I run the same pace in all weathers, whereas everyone else seems to slow down by 45 mins if the sun even so much as peeps in front of a cloud for a couple of minutes.

Good luck with your effort Ashley - I'll be going home straight afterwards though to put my feet up and watch the footy.

Forgot to say - Paris was a superb weekend and marked the first group overseas trip by Petts Wood Runners - first of many more I should think.

• Thanks Snoops. If the weather was like last sunday it will be perfect for me. Post race we are thinking of heading into China Town for a spot of lunch, but then that depends on the stomache.

Harry did you go for the GBR in the end ? 

• Hi

Look out for Virgil Tracy, pilot of Thunderbirds 2 on Sunday.

• Who that ?

Pen 3 on Blue Start for me.

• That was me. Loads of crowd reaction. A  F.A.B. day.

Jogged round the course as slowly as possible without walking, and it paid huge dividends - no problems, blisters, bruises or anything else and legs are fine today. Really enjoyed every moment.

Probably my best experience in terms of running a marathon, and after 31 marathons in a nine years running period, give or take a couple ( I haven't counted them), I feel ready to knock them on the head, and stick now to sensible distances, such as between 5k's and 13.1 miles if future.

There again, it wont surprise me if I do do another next year.

• FAB start for me with the exception of the Garmin Battery dying at the start line.

7.02 and 7.10 for the first two miles. I was up by 2 minutes every mile for approxto 10 miles. I rained it in a bit too much at the half way point but still achieved a PB for a Half of 1.37.29.

Whilst the heat didn't bother me taking on the extra fluids did and I had to make too many stops though docklands result my pace was reduced to around 9 minute miles. Realinsing at 20 miles that 3:15 was now out I thought I would go for the sub 3:30 (still PB territory), but the pschological damage had been done and so at 24 when I came to the realisation that even 3.30 was a gonna I decided to simply take it easy and not kill myself in the last two miles. 

Final time 3.37, so 49 minutes quicker than last time I did London in 2004 so no complaints whatsover with that result.

Bit bored of London, There realy isn't (apart for the crowds) and Tower bridge thats exciting, and being that I work there even that isn't that great.

More marathons, yes I think so (if the VLM site is ever going to display anything other than come 'back later' ...  And theres quiet a few internationals that seem interesting.

Wish that the Halfs had the same kudos as like you Snoops I would tend to prefer doing them

• Looks like you did your usual over-enthusiastic thing and went off way too fast. It was clear from 7 a.m. that it was going to be a very warm day and not one to try for a pb.

But well done on doing a pb - what's changed you from being a "4'15 and above" marathoner to a sub 3'45 marathoner over the last few years?

We could all do with a bit of the same!

• Less training !

Taking two years out and going back to basics, starting with track and max 10k getting the speed in my legs and then gradually increasing  the distance whilst maintaining the speed. 

I think I buggered Sunday last week though by doing a 9 mile run with the club at around 7-7.30 minute pace rather than resting so close.

Still theres always 2010, entry accepted last night so lets wait and see what October brings... 

• Yep - I've entered it again as well.

I just couldn't ignore it, and in the event I were to get in it again through the ballot, I know I'd do it. Some things just cannot be ignored.

Anyway, I've got the message. Stop running for a few years, and then practice sprinting.

• Halfs are a lot more fun though, Be nice to see a 100 Half club... could we call it the 50's Half Marathon Club !
  • Come to think about it Snoops.

One of the main reasons for the big differences is simply 'the mind'.  I set a target and a fall back target.  I think the problem is that once the target is missed I get despondant and so end up missing the fall back. Once thats gone then I give up and concerve energy for another day.

So 3:15 target, tall order miss it new target 3:30. Im now despondant so 3:30 becomres a tall order. I start to give up, so 3:15 became 3:37

FLM in 2004, same story. Target 3:30, missed it Sub 4 was next... missed it (Champagne and being cold) so gave up result 4:27

Contrast this to Hastings. Target sub 4. Finish time 3:27!

So in summary it would appear that I have to set myself an easy goal that is achievable. If for example I had aimed at 3:45 in London this year I may well have done 3:29 and more likely better than that, my last 6 miles were all around 9 minutes.

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭

Maybe you have a point there.

I'm usually within 2 mins of my prediction - you seem to be half an hour, feither better or worse.

Maybe you should just give up on predictions and run without too much thought. It's more enjoyable that way anyway.  

• Maybe I should give up !!!!!

Looking again and thinking back to my one mile time of 5:16 last year. I had an outside hope of going under 6 minutes for the first time. I set off with the others and decided to simply try and stick with them as long as I could. I did think once of looking at my Garmin but resisted, when I felt tired and wanted to stop I resisted thinking it was only a mile so I pushed throught he pain barrier. I couldn't belief the time at the end 5:16 I double checked the garmin for time and distance and it confirmed what the official timedistance was showing...

Maybe my problem with London is that they have clocks with the tiem every mile. Perhaps if they didn't I would do better... hahahaha thoughts of me setting off with the elite runners and trying ot keep up with them spring to mind - Ashley suddenly becomes an ultra elite international runner ...

You mean sub-4 minute miling then?

Well, give up work, spend the next 6 months on the Kenyan steppes at altitude, sleep 15 hours daily in a hypo oxygenated tent, run 150 miles a week, massage twice daily, change to a 50% protein macrobiotic diet, lose 4 stones in weight, and you're probably half way there.

Personally, I'd rather have a cheese sandwich and listen to the Archers, and go round at 9 minute miles.

• Great to see you and Tiger at the weekend Snoops. Fantastic day for a jolly around Orpington and some supurb times were had in the end. The biggest field to date with 35 No Shows and 39 On day entires. In all around 150 finishers so getting bigger each year. (plus lappers)

Fast times as well, I did 1:38 which was the 6th fastest time... I never managed to catch the lead marathoner who finished in 3:20...

Im looking at a new course next year and wondered about your input... I want to try and get away from roads werever possable, preference for one lap, and also keep the halfs and full on the same route. One option I have for this is to maybe head down the Crays via the stream (behind industrial Park) pick up Scadbury Park then head through Petts Wood (past monument where Day Light Time was thought about) onto Bishops Justice, thoners would then continue through Keston Ponds, past the seat at the top of the hill where we used to crash out on Sunday morning (I think where the idea of abolition of slavery was thought up) head past Downe House (evolution) through some countryside coming out around Biggin Hill (more history - World War 2) and back Mind you this seems to be down hill whereas if we did it anti clockwise it would include lots of nice steep uphill bits...

What do you think, safety, enjoyability, views etc.  Think this route could be sold on for scenic value ?

I also thought that we could get Medals printed that depict the various monuments making them a collectors series over a number of years.

• Lovely to see you too Ashley!  Snoops sent me on here to read up your conversations as to how you've got so speedy these days. image

I like the sound of off road - especially the clockwise downhill bit image  But as I'm not really a local I'll leave it to you lot to debate which is the best route!  Scenic = good image  I'd just say make sure there are marshalls at tricky crossings / bits where you can take a wrong turn (golf club!).

Medal idea sounds good image  Was there one on Saturday?  I know we started with the marathoners so arrived back a bit early.  

I also enjoyed finishing the half and being able to sit in the pub garden watching the marathoners on their second lap while having a beer! image

I do feel that adding Scadbury and the parkland around Downe would add enormously to the appeal, if this can be incorporated into the route, with a short cut in the loop back to base camp for the half marathoners, and get away from the one lap/two laps there is at present.

It is essential though that marshalling is provided for on crossing the A21 deathtrap, or at the very minimum, a traffic light crossing en route wherever the A21 is encountered.

The same applies to Shire Lane, which is another 'Road of Death' as you'll be aware - boy racers and Bromley housewives in 4x4's (still high on last night's crack cocaine taking their alsations for walkies) do not mix well with road runners on country roads without pavements.

Sort out a route bearing this in mind and you've a winner - the medal idea is also good. Let me know if you want some company researching on foot such a route, and I'll come out with you.