8wk 1/2M training schedule

Hi

A colleague is hoping to run a 1/2M in just over 8 weeks time. Does anyone know of an 8 week beginners training schedule he could follow? The shortest one I've found is the RW 10 week one. I don't think he's aiming for a time - just to get round - and he does do some running at the moment (half an hour a couple of times a week I think).

Thanks!

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    If he runs a bit at the moment, how about doing weeks 1,3,5,6-10 of the 10 week program. If it's too much, he can cut some out rather than risk injury, but if he aims to have done one run of 9 miles+ before the day, he should get round without too much discomfort.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Doobs,

I'm preparing for my first 1/2M and started with 8 weeks to do it in. Prior to this I was just doing 30 - 40 mins 3 times a week so I started following the RW 10 week prog but just jumped in further ahead.

By adding a long run each Sunday and then increasing this by 10 mins per week, I am slowly getting closer to my goal. I have found this is not too demanding and I'm actually enjoying the longer runs.

I think the most important thing is to increase the training slowly and to take rest days for recovery and to avoid injury.