Mantras...

I've found these quite useful when attempting other feats of endurance - climbing, long treks, panting ceilings etc.

You know the kind of thing...

"Nice and easy does it"
"Ever closer, ever nearer"
"Keep it together"
"No pain, no gain"
"Give up, go home"
etc

(mine normally in that order !)

Any better ones out there that may come in handy on the 13th ?

t.

Comments

• GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    "I'm not going to be beaten by a Womble."
  • One of my favourites was on a banner draped over a bridge somewhere - around 20-22 miles in FLM2000, although I believe it's been seen elsewhere. It runs thus:

"Pain is temporary, pride is forever"

My mantra for 2000 up until then had been "I'm not going to be beaten by that Fat Git Doctor Fox", who I kept seeing just ahead of me. No offence to him really, it was just to help my mental state!! Respect to him for doing the marathon at all.
  • Ghandi said

"Happiness starts when your dreams and achievements are in harmony"

(have a feeling he was more of a 10k person though...)

t

• A few others - not exactly mantras but thoughts:

"I didn't spend all those mornings running 22 sodding miles in the freezing rain to give up now" i.e. all of that will be wasted if I don't finish.

I also find it helpful thinking about how it will feel when I finish. If you've never done it then it really is one of the most amazing feelings imaginable.

I also thought of other people who've run it - take a look at any coverage and you'll see the 88 year olds doing it. I actually saw one of them at about mile 13 when I was coming back from docklands, and it really spurred me on!

Also think people like Lloyd Scott (bloke in diving suit), Jane Tomlinson (terminal cancer, did the marathon in 2002, plus of course people like Chris Moon, who did it a few years back with an artificial leg. If they can do it, then surely you can't give up!
  • About three years ago there was an article in RW about Chris Moon, with a sub-heading *If I run too fast my leg drops off." I've used that as a mantra over quite a few miles - it did stop me feeling too sorry for myself.
  • Frank n'Furter said, "Don't dream it, be it".
  • "Dont be beaten by a ninety year old bloke" that was my final boost at 25.5 mile point coming up towards Buckingham Palace in 2002 FLM, and he looked like he was running sidewards!!. Oh yes, one of the rubber rhinos pippped me at the post but the 90 year old bloke didnt see me for dust. roll on April 2003, and look out ALL of those at pension age plus. From Billie Aged 38!!!! (but ps, respect to anyone that finishes)

• "its better to be a few minutes later
    in this world than a few years earlier
    in the next" your going to do it but
    be careful..good luck!!!
  • My mantra very boring but effective during a half marathon was " Don't stop or you won't start again" and it worked even when I was in agony!
    Will have to think of a few more for the FLM though I think.
    The womble one is fab.
    First time I've laughed out loud today!
  • Every time any bit of me aches I just remind myself that it's getting stronger, set another small target (like the next lamp-post), and remind myself why I'm doing it (because I *want* to). And that's just to do the training - goodness know what it will take to get my brain round the course...

I do like the womble one, will try to remember that!
  • I find it helpful to try not to thing of how much further to go - it's too intimidating!

I try to break it down into ever smaller chunks - maybe first is two ten miles then a 10k, and so on. When it gets tough it can be to the next mile marker, or as Helen suggests, to the next lampost.

Plus of course think how lousy you'll feel if you do actually drop out, when you see people with finishers' medals. Every time you see someone wearing this year's T-shirt, you'll be reminded of the fact you didn't keep going through the (temporary) pain.

Having said that, don't be daft about it and really do yourself in by running with a bad injury!
  • I read today that it is two races, a 20 mile followed by a 10k. Think I'll collect a few good mantras for the 10k between now and April

"I will not be beaten by a womble, I will not be eaten by a womble..."
  • Either 'you're a runner not a jogger, so run' or 'you're a graceful gazelle or cheetah'
  • Beaten or eaten Helen!!?

The only thing I've got against a twenty mile, then a 10k is that a twenty is quite scary on its own!!

Still, anything to keep the focus off the last 10k until you actually get there.
  • Careful about the womble thing though.

You won't feel so motivated if you crash and burn trying to keep up, because inside that silly costume is a hardcore club runner whose sponsorship is entirely dependent on doing sub-2:30 in costume ;)
  • I quite like this one which I think is attributed to Maggie Thatcher...
    "are you a starter or a finisher?" (i.e. lots of people start things but how many finish them?) Thats got me through many a hard trek and long run! I've never attempted a full marathon before so I'm sure it will soon be put to a much harder test....
  • I always tell myself that if I don't finish then I won't let myself ever run again!

Bizarre but it works.....very very sad!
  • Eaten was a deliberate spelling :-) Good point about the club runners though, it isn't likely to be a rank beginner in a silly costume now is it?

Did a 5k swim a few years ago, and, apart from the boredom, there was a point close to half way when I realised I had done so much work, and still had to do the same again, which was mentally draining. At that point I started counting strokes and thinking, another one gone, that's one I won't have to do again, until I could start counting down to the finish.
  • I guess it would be best to avoid being eaten by Great Uncle Bulgaria!! :-)

A pre-race mantra -"I must not forget my shoes!". I was so paranoid I stuck them in fron to fthe front door and had post-it notes up all over the place!

Funnily enough at the start last year, someone HAD forgotten their shoes and there was an announcement on the tannoy asking if anyone had a spare pair of (I think) size 11's with them.

Another thing I do is compare my position to one of my training runs - I find the distance always seems less on a familiar course, so by making the link between the two I can think of the next stage on a run I know well.
  • Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  • "Stop and you'll rot"

(...abbreviated version of Debs' !!)

• "Run short to run long"

..to remind me NOT to over-stride but "short-step shuffle" when knack'd on long runs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another home-grown effort I'm rather proud of goes...

"left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right
    left, right"

etc

..one for the minimalists ?

t.

Iain ; "Don't forget the shoes" deserves a thread all to itself - superb !