Mystery Ankle Pain

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to this............

I've been running about a year, I do four runs a week on tarmac/concrete averaging around 15 miles per week. Using a pair of GT-2070’s that are about 3 months old.

Up until the end of September I have had no injuries at all. Then my right ankle started to ache, there was no swelling or pain when touched, just that in the mornings it was uncomfortable to place any weight on it but this disappeared after an hour or so. I thought it was just a general ache so continued running. The ache stayed. After a month of this I rested for 2 weeks hoping this would resolve the problem, on resuming jogging it was still there.

I then went to the doctor who ruled out all standard running injuries he knew of. Had an x-ray, no joy there. Rested for a further 6 weeks still the same problem. Now I’m off for a MRI scan and a meeting with a sports injury consultant.

I’m still running, with no pain when I actually exercise, but throughout the day the ache comes back for short periods at a time

Sorry for the length of this post. Has anyone had similar problems or heard of something similar??

Cheers

Richard

Comments

• MRI will be definitive answer as to any major structural probs in the ankle.
    Have you had yuor gait and running style analysed ? could be wrong shoes- over or underpronating/etc,,,
    When is the MRI due to be done ? Must cost a lot if private !
    See what expert says first and then reassess.
  • Where abouts on your ankle is the pain?
  • I haven't had my gait analysed, where'd you get that done? I live on Jersey so facilities are a tad restricted. Good thoughts on the shoes, looks like i might try buying another pair and see if that helps, just found out the MRI is not until march!!

The ache runs around the outside of the ankle over the top of my foot and sometimes from the ankle up my calf.

Thanks for the responses
  • The short answer is yes - I had a similar problem with 2070s, and so did a club mate. Outside of the left ankle in my case, not sure why it wasn't the right ankle too. I never really found out the reason!

I got some new shoes last week and had a long chat with the staff in Run and Become - apparently they've had quite a few people have problems with 2070s. Basically they've made the midfoot bit stiffer than on previous versions. The shop said that people had had various problems with calfs etc as this meant the forefoot had to do more flexing. I can't vouch for the science behind this (or indeed whether it was the cause of my sore ankle), just reporting what happened to me (and my club mate Tim) and what I was told. Tim opted to get a different pair of shoes. The 2080s are apparently similar - I opted for the 1080s which don't have such a stiff middle bit.

Having said that, the ankle pain goes off after a mile or too, and I've done plenty of good miles in the 2070s!
  • This is a bit spooky!
    I have started to have a problem with the inside of my right ankle to calf muscle/tendon. I have been using my 2070s for approx 3.5 months and have recently started to get this pain. I was looking for any guidance when I came across this forum!
    I don't have any pains at all when I am not running or wearing my old 2060s as casual trainers.
    Any ideas on what this may be or is it a problem with the ASICS shoes?
  • I have a similar problem but seems to be more in the joint as I can pinpoint the exact location.

Notice it more when horizontal and hang the foot off the end of the bed on certain angles

Have created a bit of a 'click' in the ankle too.

any ideas?
  • I bought a pair of Asics 2080 recently and have since have developed a severe inflammation of one of the upper tendons in my left ankle (peroneus brevis tenosynovitis). No symptoms in the right foot.
  • me to!!

I'm currently seeing a physio re: my left ankle. In a nutshell i felt a sudden pain whilst trail running (in barefeet -nothing to do with asics shoes) and that was back in march. There was no swelling and the pain quickly subsided. But now my ankle aches on the front mainly, and there's alot of clicking going on. I'm unable to run barefoot as i get the pain coming back(feels like the ankle is about to give way, causing me to limp) and if i walk for long enough i start to feel the pain coming on. However i'm not too bad when i wear my orthotics but have not tried to run far yet! My phyiso thinks that the problem is due to excessive over-pronation -this would explain why wearing orthotics helps. He has given me some exercises to strenghten my ankle e.g. rising up one leg.
    But i remain unconvinced that this will help and i feel that i've caused some damage which requires surgery? I'm seeing my GP next week hoping to be put down for a MRI scan (lets just hope i catch him on a good day). But may end up paying it myself (think they cost around £500).

Grateful for some reassurance. I just feel that its not getting better.

• Have recently had a similar sounding problem. My right ankle is fine running but is sore afterwards, especially on the outside above my anklebone. When I put weight on it it feels 'weak'. There is no pain when I press it. I decided to rest it and went swimming and found it was painful when doing front crawl (i.e. foot pointed with force of water creating tenderness in the achilles). I was wondering whether I need new shoes? current pair over a year old although my average mileage is only ~5-10 miles/week. Any suggestions?
  • I'm still experiencing the same problem!! But I've had my MRI results should be the end of the month. MRI got pushed back till start of june :(
  • weird...i run in the asics 1070gel and have had similar ankle problems! ive been for all the check ups including an MRI scan which didnt reveal anything major(this costs around £650!). so i m about to invest in a new pair of trainers i think and will probably avoid asics, though apart form the ankle and its strange clicking they have been fine...
  • Funnily enough, guess what - me too!!! I assumed I'd twisted my ankle earlier this year (beginning of May), despite no recollection of actually having the injury I had constant ankle pain on the inside of my right ankle. I was wearing a pair of 2080's that were approx 3 months old. I've since had to have physio and now have to wear orthotics. Perhaps next time I'll try some different trainers!!
  • I am having problems with a pair of 2080's. I have worn Asics for most of my running since 97 with no problems. But for no apparent reason inside and back of ankle hurts, ran on it, but it seemed to improve as i ran, until next day when it swelled up, rested for 12 days and took anti inflammatories. The problem is still there, went to sports injury clinic thinking it might be achilles tendonnitis, however, they think I may be fortunate enough for it to just be a swollen bursar (i think I have spelt that right) they still recommend resting from running but cycling is ok. But the Asics 2080's have been nothing but trouble and I will think very carefully before buying another pair. I run with orthotics and these did not suit them at all. Anyone got any recommendations in this area, I have not got a clue where to start looking for different shoe???
  • Hi,i have ran in my 2080s for six months and have now got a pain in my left ankle as well as the bridge of my left foot,I think this is my last pair of 2080s.
  • I have a constant pain on the inside of my left ankle. After loads of xrays and blood tests I've been told that I under pronate and that I will need supports inside my shoes because I'm stretching the tendons continuously. the trouble is the supports cost £220. Does anyone know if I can get them on the nhs?
  • HOW INCREDIBLY STRANGE! I too had a problem with my ankle area about 3 years ago, and funnily enough i had a pair of asics 2070's or 2060's or sommink! anyway it did put me out of action. Curious i went to see a sports therapist who advised me that i had strained the (ere we go!) Soleus or soloid! ligament the one that goes from the ankle up to the knee and back down the other side! excuse my technical know how! Anyway to cut a short story long... never had a problem since ditching the asics. Touch wood! ...
  • Rt ankle pain but no swelling nor tender to touch. Pain comes and goes. Previous soreness in rt achilles (last +/- 4 months) Was wearing Asics but switched to Saucony 3 months ago.

Have been doing a lot of stretching which has definitely helped BUT major advance came from getting deep massage on my rt calf.

I pulled my rt calf a year ago and rested but did not rehabilitate the injury. As a result there is a lot of residual scar tissue and the flexibility of the calf had been compromised. The stiffness of the calf then put greater strain on my ankle - hence the pain.

This is a long-winded way of saying "perhaps it is not the shoes but referred pain from higher up"

Just a thought.
  • I too have Asics 2080 and three months down the line have a pain on the inside of my left ankle. Has anybody contacted the makers of Asics cos it makes me mad to think I have to buy new trainers after spending £70 only 3 months
  • Im having ankle problems outside left and inside right with Asics 1080 Gel.

Problems being going on for two months now and rest works but as soon as I start running the problem manifests its self again.

pretty peeved as i only bought them three months ago had footscan etc @ sweatshop
  • I have changed to Brooks and have run about 300 miles with no problems in the ankle. Asics have been dumped.
  • i don't have the trainers you mention, i am new to running doing about 20 miles a week but have pain and swelling in my left ankle.i'm in training for my first ever race great north run so i don't want to stop my training plan if i can help it can anyone give me any tips on what i should do to keep me running pain free. problem only just started a couple of days ago
  • Richard - I had a similar pain on the outside of my ankle and up the outside of my lower leg. It felt stiff in the mornings and sometimes after a run. Physio on the muscle didn't seem to help at all and I wasn't able to stretch it. It turned out it was the nerve that was injured (sciatic nerve runs along here and along the outside of the foot), stretching and physio for this has made a big difference.

Try keeping your leg straight, pointing your toes and turning your foot inwards, if that stretches the area that hurts it maybe a nerve problem.
  • Dipsy - thanks for that advice, have been stretching and trying to change the way i place my feet when running, i have put a firm strapping on my ankle and it seems to help a little, now considering going to see a physio, i don't want to stop my traing schedual if i can help it.
  • Yvonne, did you twist your ankle or did it just start to hurt. If it is swollen then it probably isn't a nerve problem but you should put ice on it to reduce the swelling. Going to see a physio is probably the best way to avoid having to stop running. The best way to treat/avoid injuries is to find out what is causing them and put that right rather than just resting and treating the injury.
  • i don't recall twisting my ankle at any point but then you never really notice, it just seemed to start bothering me a about a week ago and when i get up in the mornings i feel like an old woman going down stairs and just generally walking about the house its quite uncomfortable. Will book that appointment with the physio and hopefully get the problem sorted, thanks once again. will go and get a bag of peas out of freezer and put it on my ankle.
  • Yvonne - I agree with Dipsy that you should really see a physio. Your ankle pain may well be the result of an imbalance elsewhere.

I too am like an old invalid when I get up, go downstairs etc however, with proper stretching, I don't actually get pain when I run. My physio says that apart from my tight calves (see earlier) I am also running too late at night for my legs to recover.

There may be many reasons, so best see the physio

Good Luck
  • thanks timbo until i read about other runners complaints i thought it was only me that was doing something wrong. Having a rest day today thought it for the best. I hope my problem is something simple that can be sorted quickly.
  • thanks guys i've now been to the physio and had my problem diagnosed i have tenosynouitis and i now have a recovery programm and will be out running again soon. Looking forward to clocking up the miles again
  • ooooh she's got an 'ouitis!

Good Luck with your recovery.
  • Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but has anyone got any update on ankle injury and asics trainers?
    Reason I ask is I am getting ankle problems and do run in a pair of asics 2090.Have seen both a sports physio and a podiatrist but am sceptical