Options

Moutain Bike Riders

2»

Comments

• Options
    Popsider... Mudguards are... Well, lets just say if you're that bothered about getting a wet arse, go for Crud Catchers.

ps. It's not crap, it's mud. If it really is crap you're a very, very dirty boy!
  • Options
    I've got an 18"er and I'm 6'2". You basically need about 6" between your knackers and the cross bar, so as to avoid any unpleasantness during crashes etc...
  • Options
    ps. I'm clearly talking about my frame size, not the length of my todger.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Popsider - the crudcatcher things are usually fine. I've been up and down the Coed-y-Brenin trails with them and as long as you check they are tightened up properly they don't come off. I actually had a bit of old inner tube under the clamp bit to pad it out which in retrospect may have helped.

Re: sizing, you might be able to look up the "standover" height on the manufacturers website. Trek do this for instance. Add 4 inches and if that's more than your inside leg measurement then go for a smaller frame.
  • Options
    Get your standover height right and you will thank your lucky stars the moment you have one of those near nut-crunching experiences. If you still feel the bike is small you can change the bars or stem.

I never use mudguards but agree they are probably a good idea - after your front wheel has just contacted with a cow pat and starts to shed upward. Yum!

• Options
    Another thing about sizing... You can always hoike up the seatpost.
  • Options
    Good idea,

I have two scribed lines on my seatpost. One for general riding/uphill and the other for the downhills (another good nut saving idea).

It seems to be all about saving your gonads.

• Options
    I love my gonads.
  • Options
    BOING

This discussion stopped at gonads!

Back to Afan last weekend which was absolutely fantatsic.

Anyone done the Skyline trail, the full jihad? Well worth it even if there is a lot on fireroad, but the views across the Brecons and Black Mountains more than make up for it.

We did the Cwmcarn trail (3rd time) again and this one just gets better the more you ride it. The final vertigo section and then the downhill straight after are probably the best enjoyment you can have in ten minutes.

Anyone been anywhere decent recently? Looking for some good winter riding now.

• Options
    I was out in Aberystwysth a few weeks ago and there were some trails in that area, east of the town I think.
    Can't remember what it's called, but I thought it was good, contrasting with most of the mtn biking area I've been to( Afon Argoed, Cwm Carn, Coed Y Brennin, etc ) as there was alot not in trees, so it seemed more open.

Colin
  • Options
    just getting back into the joys of the MTB after neglecting it all year due to IM and general triathlon training.............used it today to cycle to work and jeez, is the bugger heavy compared to my Ti roadie!!

but still good winter training because of that..............can't get out this weekend onto the South Downs but maybe over the next few weeks I can get onto some gnarlier stuff.........

am down in S Wales just after Xmas and will have the MTB with me, so might get over Twm Barlwm into Cwmcarn for a day........