Scottish Runners

Hi there

As much as I enjoy reading all the postings here I would like to hear from Scottish runners. Are there any out there or am I on my own???

I live in Old Kilpatrick not too far from Glasgow.

Also why is there so little info about races in Scotland?
Tagged:

Comments

• All the Welsh runners--apart from the 5 min miles boys--have vanished also. It's our Pictish/Gaelic climate that does for them, Robert. Perhaps they all ressurrect when the sun comes out?

• Im here, ok not born in Wales, but speaka lingo bit
  • I'm half Scottish, but lived in England all my life. I imagine Borther Walfrid is Scottish.
  • And to think
    I nearly had a job in Dunfermline
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Hiya Robert,

I'm a fellow Scot but living in Kent. From Carluke, Lanarkshire originally

Check out the old event threads on the Glasgow Half and Loch Ness Marathon to see that all is well with Scottish running/runners.

Also look at page 126 of the latest RW mag for a list of forthcoming Scottish events.

Happy running

Scotty
  • Ah, Benz, but we're tough.
    Or a bit chewy, anyway. That's why we're still at it.
    Running that is.
  • Why are you an evil hippo today, anyway?
  • Im honorary welsh
    There is a welsh hill in yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Aberdeen (born and bred) and I agree about the lack of information on Scottish race! - so there!!
  • Hi Robert

I live in Arbroath and my husband comes from Old Kilpatrick, coincidence eh!! The Scottish Athletics website is good for Scottish race info - saf.org (or something!)
  • MM ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I'm Dundee born but moved to Edinburgh last year. I agree with Mrs Mac about the Scottish athletics website - only place i've found with lots of Scottish race info.
    www.saf.org.uk/
  • Hi there, I live in Aberdeen too.

Mrs Mac, are you doing the Arbroath Smokies 10 mile for ladies in March.

I see many of the same faces at races I have attended in the Northeast. Moray and Lossiemouth areas seem to have a few races each year but Aberdeen seems to have very few races.

Looking for a good 10k in this area in April, any suggestions.
  • I am up in Inverness, you are not alone.
  • Hi Jane M

Yes! Its the first time I've entered, although I'm familiar with the course(v. hilly)Have you ran it before?
  • Good to hear that there are still a few of us Scots out there running. Mabye we are just a shy lot and keep in the background??

Any of you training for a spring marathon? I am doing the Paris marathon if I can get fit enough.

Well I am off out for a run now. It is a cold but sunny day out there.
  • Hi Mrs Mac, haven't ran it before as I only started entering races from May onwards last year. A very hilly course means a good test for me and not a fast time, I ran 1hr 45 mins in the Lossiemouth 10 and was very pleased to be third from last. I see from last years results that Jenny Allen ran it last year, do you know if she's doing it this year, I would love to meet this very great lady.

Having a day off today as there is a very thin covering of snow here, this fell on top of very wet pavements and roads so won't chance it.
  • Hi Robert

Well I'm in Aberdeen and definitely Scottish. I agree there's not a lot of Scots about on the forums and most of the events discussed are English based.

I'm aiming for a spring Marathon as well and thought about Paris though suspect I'm too late now (I was rejected for London).

Aberdeen does have some races apart from the annual 10K which is easily the biggest.

There was meant to be a 3K today organised by Aberdeen Metro Runners which I assume went ahead at Aberdeen Beach. But as it's been snowing I decided to give it a miss.

Check out the following websites if you're based in the North of Scotland and want to find some races:
    http://www.metro-aberdeen-rrc.co.uk
    http://www.cosmics.org.uk/hillbasher/

Cheers
    PPB.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Another runner freezing her socks off in Inverness. I had tried for London but didn't get in (again) so I'm going to do a few halfs (Inverness, Mid Argyll and Glasgow are definites) and then do the Loch Ness Marathon again in September.

I've been laid low with the nasty Xmas cold/flu bug, so I haven't run since Christmas Day. It's pretty slippery out there today (got as far as the dustbin with some rubbish), so I would probably not be running today anyway, but looking out across the firth to Ben Wyvis and the hills beyond, covered with snow and bathed in beautiful winter sunlight has me longing for a good tramp in the hills. Pity climbing the stairs is still a challenge that leaves me coughing my lungs up - ho hum.
  • I agree totally with original thread the mag good as it is does seem to be aimed at predominatly England, office workers and those competing in the london marathon, but maybe by continually making them aware of our neglect through the web-site then we shall see some improvement.
    Open up our own forum would be a start.

Reside in Balloch Loch Lomond
  • Totally agree Robert,

I'm Secretary at Greenock Glenpark Harriers and have tried on several occassions to attract new runners via this forum, without success.

We're having a club race tomorrow if you're interested?
  • Would be good if we could have Scottish Runners as a seperate topic on the forum menu page. If anyone from RW reading then can this be arranged?
  • I live in Scotland but most of the time i am just an interested observer on this forum as most of the converstaion seems to be regarding road races in England, mile times and paces whereas of the 40 or so races i did last year only 4 were road races. You can probably tell from my nickname what my favourite running terrain is!!! The most interesting thing i find about reading the forum is the large number of questions regarding hill running or training. Theres no escaping it where i live.
  • That should read conversation. We hill runners can't spell.
  • Hi Everyone

Not Scottish, but been living here 3 years. Love it, fab running, but distinct lack of races/or far between. Agree with the comment that RW mag concentrates on SE and on London marathon.

Ladies, am entered for Smokies (3rd time) First few miles hilly, but not too bad. Great race, lovely tea for free afterwards. Last year was held in May due to snow - great day, wish it was the same this year! Am with Lothian RC, hope to see you there.
  • I'll wave the flag for Morayshire, although I'm originally from Glasgow. If I may rant for a sentence or so, I've always wondered for years why RW has always missed out listing Scottish races, advising to contact the SAF or Run & Become. The fixture information is easily available. In the bad old days when it was Running magazine and I wasn't in the know, I was forever scaning the fixtures list in the Glasgow Herald on a Saturday morning to plan the weekend - so much for planning racing in advance!

In this particular bit of the North East we've got quite a good race calendar - see the Moray Road Runners, Forres Harriers or Garioch Road Runners web pages for details. I'm thinking of doing the Loch Ness Marathon this year after good feedback from friends and on the Forums. (I've said it now, there's no going back!)
  • I've just moved to Perth and am interested in contacting a local running club. I know that Perth Roadrunners exist but can't find a webpage or contact.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
  • Hi Saran, looking forward to doing the ladies 10 mile smokies race and may see you there.

To Matthew, can't help you re Perth Roadrunners, you could try another website address and click the links page it might come up that way, I think Perth is a very beautiful part of Scotland, enjoy finding good running routes.