Scottish Runners

Comments

• Ouch UTC. Glad that nothing is broken. It must have been a bit of a scare..

TP - as you say, you must have needed the rest.

Abs weights and bike for me today and then a run tomorrow before a sneaky afternoon trip to the GFT.

• 45mins steady off road. On farm fields overlooking Glasgow airport.

Not a bad run. Dry, bit cold.

Tri: On no. Glad you're okay !

Now if Sir Chris himself was to call asking how you were, that would make your day (or year)image

• morning all.

ooh stiff this morning and quite sore but I'll be ok. Abs and neck seem stiff but wonder if thats all compensatory or just from the accident and Im only just noticing now because my shoulder has distracted me for now.

Lol BM yeah now that would be nice!! I have met him briefly a couple of times before but a personal call would be something else!

Hopefully get out for a good walk today. 

• Strange weather at present - bush fires on Skye reported today!

((UTC))

• OH: Something I associate with Australia not Skye !

• My goodness UTC, glad you're okimage 

Sounds like a nice run bmimage

Enjoy the GFT FFBimage

Hope you feel refreshed today after your big sleep TP? Must have needed it!

Booked a week in a cabin up Glenshee for next week. Hoping to get a few Cateran trail runs and some nice walksimage

• Hope you're less sore UTC; sounds scary.

Good blogging ffb - really enjoyed reading it, and the pictures.

Nice easy run this evening. Sunny here but still cold.

• I was over in Applecross last weekend and the friends who drove up from the south passed 3 fires on the west coast. The local fire brigade arrived late at the Applecross Inn Friday, presumably for some food and a drink after a busy day. Great place to run in clear weather so I put in a 20 miler Friday with great views of Skye and a 10 miler Saturday in a lovely warm sheltered valley. Followed by some restorative beers and seafood at the Inn. It was a little chilly camping Saturday night though.

Rushed back Sunday for a 10k race in Elgin with more fine weather and was rewarded by a one second PB. The race was marred by an idiot driver who pulled too fast around my group in a short out and back section, swerved in to avoid a bigger group on the other side of the road and hit a runner on his own right in the back. No major damage done luckily (though he was kept in hospital overnight just in case) and it was right by some marshals... but it was scary.

Hope you are well on the mend UTC. When I lived near a track in New Zealand my participation involved spectating from the bar, some of the crashes were a bit too intense for my liking.

Loving the late evenings! I have another large dog to look after from tonight for the next week so some long runs in the woods are in order to keep them tired out. Jack actually ran much better with me than Barny usually does (though he loved the trails of Applecross and did all 30 miles) so I might have to steal him. So long as the house is in one piece when I get home from work tomorrow image.

One or both will get to scout the east side of Loch Lomond with me this weekend in the final reconnaisance before the Fling. Not bee there in 29 years.

• 57.5 Scary stuff indeed. I often wonder how much time each one of life threatening actions actually saves the driver - probably not more than a few seconds in most cases.

Wel done on PB - a PB's a PB

Enjoy Loch Lomond

Lighter evenings are certainly providing more incentment to get out now.

• Nice running 57.5 - I remember the road to Applecross from attempting to cycle it about 15yrs ago image! Enjoy Loch Lomond - do let us know how the paths are looking - I was hoping to get a trip up to Conic sometime next week myself to see what they have done with this new path, largely to decide if I need my grippy shoes or slightly slippy but more comfy shoes for the Fling image! Last year it was very wet underfoot.

Holiday sounds good MrsMac, lots of good places to explore image.

How are you feeling UTC?

Run for me today at some point.

• TP Im ok but not great up top. Frustrated, angry, disappointed doesn't even begin to explain.

Trying to do a turbo session-near to useless as I cant centralize my weight if u get me so cant do anything at speed.

Cant swim as  shoulder completely useless... and havent attempted running but think more than a jog will be asking too much due to the vibrations. The day before a tri training camp this is not good.

Everyone else doing good. Sorry Im not fairing good in the mood stakes at the moment.                           

• A'noon

About 5M off road this morning. Cold, dry, no wind. Not a bad run.

Tri: Hope you recover quickly

It's warm outside, well warmish.

• Bad news, I have a cold. Good news, no dog fights image.

The Drovers Inn says Conic Hill reopens on the 15th TP, if I read it right.

image UTC image.

• OMG......GE tomorrow..............what have I let myself in for???????? (weather looks great, though)

Sorry to heat you are in the wars, UTC, ARGHHhhhhh

• Tricia - best of luck with Glasgow to Edinburghimage

UTC - sounds horrible, hope you recover soon.

Mrs Mac - enjoy your hols, sounds lovely, weather getting better too.image

Hi to everyone else!

Had a nice week in snowy Keswick but back to an evil week at work! However some short runs being done again with no ill effects - just hope I can stay intact for a bit now.

• Good luck triciaimage

Great news Elspethimage Gently does it thoughimage

57.5, get well soon. Applecross was on our holiday shortlistimage Have a great run on the Fling route.

Its all relative bmimage

All packed and raring to goimage Running Spittal of Glenshee to Blairgowrie tomorrow with friends. I hear there is still LOTS of snowimageimage

• Good luck Tricia - you will do great I'm sure image.

((UTC)) - I'm not surprised you are frustrated, awful timing image. Some walking and gentle stretching may be the order of the day whilst you are off work.

Have fun MrsMac.

Yeah, take it easy Elspeth - no going for crazy 20m runs now image.

57.5 - I had heard the 8th for Conic, but possibly they were delayed with the snow - I might go up anyway and check out what is happening with that whole Drymen forestry bit etc.

Had a nice 10miles again today, but think I have got a cold too image. First one of the year Boo to that!!! Terrible headache overnight and this morning, shook it off with the run, but then felt progressively knackered as the day went on. More early nights required pre-Fling I think!!

• Good luck Fling-ers and everyone else running/racing.

Off to bed for early night, early flight so may not get on.

I will let u know how I get on,am sure there will be net access.

Trying to stay positive. image

• Morning

MrsMac: Enjoy your hols.

Flingers: Aw ra best

Tri: Stay postitive.

45mins Steady  mixture of paths and off road

• Morning all. Hope G2E went well yesterday and that Mrs Mac had a good run of the Cateran. I was up on the westy way. Had Mr FFB and a baby FFB with me so did a mix of running and trekking. Set out from the Drovers and just went as far as Crianlarich. I was intending to head on further but then realised that actually I am supposed to be thinking about tapering for the Fling imageimage. Seems odd when I am just getting back into things from the D33 image. We had a great day and for the first and only time Mr FFB could say I was his bitch imageimage Just because I was a bit like the family dog, running ahead then running  back then running on image. Did 17 - 18 miles in total.

It was odd though cos Mr FFB is now all worried and says I have to pay the £10 and have vehicle support. He's more worried than me imageimage. TP what are you doing? Have you got support or are you just getting picked up at the finish?

Anyway, a good day out. Also introduced baby FFB to the Drovers which was an experience LOL

• Good to see you are getting back into some short runs Elspeth. Don't overdo though, just take it slowly.

• Morning

A rest day for me today. been out walking Geordie though.

• Rest day for me too! GE was hard work, but I made it. I was making good time until about 35 miles, then by 42 miles I felt like quitting- just feeling no energy- lightheaded at  checkpoint- but everyone at the CP was so positive and encourafing that I felt I couldn't quit. OK again until 50 miles, then struggling with general leg tightness- I hooked up with someone else for the last few miles, as I didn't fancy sighthill/ westerhailes alone , he had been vomiting, so was only walking anyway, so the last 5 miles were pure walking ( apart from the sprint for the line!). 11:45 -ish. Feet not too sore- I can walk (just), oddest ill effect is a very tender toungue surface- feels burnt! Celebrating  my birthday today- will be the laziest onE ever!

• Morning all

18miles for me too yesterday, some good hills, although not quite as spectacular as the WHW image. This cold is trying to get on my lungs so I am double-dosing the steroid inhaler to keep it out image!

FFB - I always just get dropped off at the start and picked up at the finish of the Fling. Tbh the drop bag system is so good, and well spaced, and the car parks get really busy, so unless you wanted a change of shoes etc, or to drop off kit, there is not much point having the car support. Although (whispers) I have often thought Millarochy Bay would be a good place to have someone meet you cos a) it has great toilets! b) its not a CP! c) they wouldnt have to drive all the way to Rowardennan then just turn around and drive back.

I have always taken Rowardennan as 'the point of no return' - so I will text L from there and say, all going well, going to carry on, see you in Tyndrum etc. Its a good spot to make the decision because of the road access issues further up, and lets them know you are doing okay. I always put a small flask of tea in the Rowardennan drop bag as a moral boost - lots of people stop at this CP and get some good food down them, its like a runners picnic spot, and the mobile receprion is good imageimage.

Fling will be a bit different this year with us all starting at 6am.

Off out for a gentle cycle, if the lungs will allow it image.

• Well done Tricia imageimage and happy birthday!!

• Well done Tricia, and enjoy your Birthday rest day imageimage

Thanks for the tips TP. Daft question, does anything you leave at the CPs get back to you or is it basically ditched/lost? Also, do they do a kit inspection? I currently do not have waterproof trousers (but do have windproof shell trousers). I don't 'do' waterproof trousers as a general rule. 

• Hi FFB - they don't return the drop bags, as a general rule, so don't leave anything you plan to keep. Last year I think John did try to return one or two items that people had mislaid/left behind, tops etc, but this was all done via the Fling forum, and not generally encouraged.

No, there is no kit inspection, it is all very relaxed (not like the Army-esque weigh in and inspection they do at the Lakeland 50 image). The only compulsory item this year is a foil blanket, everything else is up to personal choice. They have brought this rule in this year because a woman fell last year and broke her collar bone and was lying on the trail for a while before they could evac her (although they were very quick with the medics). I tend to take a little more warm stuff than some, as being slower I will be out longer and it does get a little chilly toward the latter end of the route as it starts to get dark. I won't take the waterproof trousers on this though, unless it is absolutely lashing it down image.

• Well done Tricia. Hope you're enjoying your laezy birthday.

Goodd to hear you're running again Elspeth.

Did the parkrun yesterday - first time for weeks - new pb. Good run this morning - snowing again.

• Well done Tricia and Happy Birthdayimageimage

FFB- sounds like anice family day out.

TP - Nice run too.

Ali Mac - nice work with new PBimage

Still only little runs and so slow for me, very impatient to be fully better, but worried of course that it might recurr again. Another DNS for Fling for me. Think I'm jinxed!

Light snowfall last night! Lovely day but got called into work for the afternoonimage

• Well done on the PB Alison.

Great job in the G2E Tricia, and happy Birthday! It is a tough course if you get down on yourself with the monotonous terrain, especially when the countour starts taking you back away from Edinburgh. I'm glad I decided not to run this year as I was too full of cold to give it a good go. Did get in a few miles on the canal around Bishopbriggs yesterday, though, and it's all been tarmaced! Not sure what the tongue could be other than a reaction to a cocktail of energy food, or you had a dry mouth and were subconsciously rubbing it on teeth or palate.

How was the stretch from Drovers to Crianlarich FFB? Was going to do that section on our way south if I'd been healthier but won't get to practice it now. My wife also thought the Drovers was 'interesting', and full of her fellow Americans today. Dog friendly to two tired an muddy big pooches though which is always a plus.

I can report that the east side of the Loch is very dry TP. I was feeling a bit better today so took the dogs from the car park at Sallochy Wood up to the Drovers. Bit wet south of Inversnaid and a few slippy spots in the really rough bit 4-5 km north of the hotel but no trouble at all for the shoes. Sadly the weather was a bit dull as I'd been looking forward to some views.

Lots of snow blowing around up north on the way home but nothing lying, even over the Dava.