Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Morning all

Well done on the pb Alison.

Elspeth - onwards and upwards. Are you going to Cape Wrath this year? You are cursed with the Fling in the same way I am cursed with that damned TP100 image!!

57.5 - thanks, that is good to know. Makes an easy shoe choice. I always take that Inversnaid scrambly bit really slowly, then try to catch up a bit later on.

I don't know what you all mean about the Drovers - I thought all pubs in the Highlands were meant to be like that imageimage!

Rest day today, trying to shift this cold, mostly above the neck, but feels like there might be some small alien being lodged in my throat imageimage.

• Options

A'noon

Thought I'd posted on here earlier.

Oh well

Hill reps x 6 for me this morning. Mile warm up and down.

• Options

The Drovers is indeed an experience image The section I was on was very dry also.

TP have you had your race brief info already?

Speed intervals for me today.

• Options

FFB - nope, there was some info at the bottom of the entry email though, mainly about the foil blanket. Apparently something will go up on the site soon.

• Options

Crazy weather here, quite a snowfall last night - for April anyhow then all melted and quite warm for a wee run up wideford hill this afternoon. Hard work, not fit!

Hoping to be at Cape Wrath in that have booked accommodation etc so it's a weeks holiday in sunny(?) Durness if nothing else but hope I'll be fit to run some of it. Not so hopeful about the marathon thoughimage.

Fling was one of those runs I really wanted to do sometime, however shelved for forseable future.

Remember Drovers from when we did WHW - walking in 1984! Quite a place.

• Options
    Drovers 1984 - yes the only time Els and I slept in a 4 poster bed!
  • Options

Allison: Well done on th epb.

Tricia: A belated Happy Birthday.image

• Options

Hi there.  Do I start this with the obligatory "I'm sorry to be so crap at keeping up."?  I hope people have all been well. 

I got to meet a couple of forumites in recent months... UTC at Falkirk - was that really a month and a half ago? - and Kirsty and Scobos at recent park runs.  I may have met others of you, but I'm assuming you don't actually look like rabbits and meerkats, so your internet disguises serve you well.... Also, that isn't a real photo of me on my avatar either.

Anyway... Is anyone going to Lochaber this weekend?  I might do a run there!

• Options

Three days of no running for me - cold has turned rotten image. Think I am going to have to take this whole week as a no-goer, and hope I can breath again by the weekend. NOT a good way to approach the Fling taper image.

• Options

Ian:Nah don't bother mateimage good to have you posting again anyway

TP: Sorry to hear you're 'no well'.

• Options

The WHW in 1984 was quite an experience for me. Sunburn and clegs replaced the usual pissing rain and midgies.

Durness? I guess that's a southern beach holiday for Orcadians image.

Taper for the Fling starts here, but it is hard to plan that when the rest of the training has been so haphazard. Think I'll swap Tuesday intervals for a hill run with Highland Hill Runners for the next two weeks but otherwise, who knows.

At least your cold has come well pre race TP. And it's too late for training to make a difference so enjoy the rest!

• Options

Hi. 

I am a newbie to the forum and to running. I live in Alloa.

I am in training for my first 10k at Balfron. I am loving running because there are so many beautiful places here.

• Options

cleg

n (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Animals) another name for a horsefly esp one of the genus Haematopota [from Old Norse kleggi   Well, that's that question answered.  They don't sound very nice to be bitten by.  If, indeed, there is anything that is nice to be bitten by.   Welcome Lee-Anne.  I remember looking at the Balfron 10K last year, then being far too disorganised to enter it.  Good luck with it.   Last night, I went to Morrisons and bought lots of carbohydrates, because I'm allowed to eat as much as I want for the next 3 days, or something.  Do any of you actually do carb-loading?  I read some of the web sites about it, and I think I'm going to spend the next 3 days feeling sick if I eat what some of them recommend.  Also, the same people that told me to carb-load told me to go for couple of runs in the days before the marathon.  They are wise running people, but I don't get it - surely one counteracts the other?  
  • Options

Welcome Lee-Anne. Balfron will be a good first 10k image Sounds like you have the bug.

Yep, fling tapering. I feel as if I have not really got back into things after the D33 and I am back on tapering: yikes image Run today and then rest day tomorrow as I have hairdresser, then an interview for a new contract. And then as it is our 22nd wedding anniversary we are going to the GFT later afternoon, followed by cocktails at the Blytheswood and dinner at Two Fat Ladies.

Not quite decided what to do for the weekends training. Do I risk a 20??? or would it be better to do a couple for shorter runs back to back image 

• Options

Morning all

57.5 - true, I am kinda not worrying too much about missing this weeks training, this 'Man-Flu' is my body telling me to ease back a bit I think image.

Its funny, cos I didnt do that 100 obviously, but its like, psychologically I have gone through all the things I would have if I had done it image, and physically felt knackered and I now have a bad cold, which I might also have got at this point.....weird stuff.

Good luck at Balfron Lee-Anne. Its a nice race and very well organised and welcoming.

Good luck also Ian this weekend. No I don't really do carbo-loading, although I would probably have something like fish and chips the night before a marathon. For ultras I tend to up my salt intake slightly in the week before, ie eat more crisps image, and generally try to eat quite well, but I don't pig out by any means, think it can make the system a bit sluggish.

Good luck with the interview FFB and happy anniversary image. I definitely won't be doing 20m this weekend image, but probably try a couple of short runs if my lungs are clear of gunk.

• Options

Thanks TP... yeah, one of the things I thought when someone advised "11 bowls of pasta" was that that was a good way to spend 3 days on the toilet.  Although this guy has done a few marathons in his time.  Hmmm... well, I might as well eat this cookie, just in case.  I wouldn't like to jeapordise my race time by not eating it.

FFB - a 20 mile run as part of a taper?  That's one tough taper.  Happy anniversary, though!

• Options

TP - Hope the cold soon goes.

Happy tapering all you fling runners, wish I was too. Still 8 miles yesterday - felt OK just slow!

57.5 - yes a Beach holiday in the sun - though it was more like a windy week in Orkney last year - even had a small snow shower in the middle of one run! Hoping for sun, sea and sand this year!imageimage

IJ -  nice to see you, enjoy Lochaber, bound to be sunny that weekend, it always is!

FFB - Happy anniversary.image

• Options

Thank you all for the welcome and best wishes for the fling!

I didlooking for some beautiful runs to do in central Scotland  the summer. Any ideas?

• Options

welcome Lee-Anne! the Balfron 10k is a cracking race, it's quite hilly in parts but nothing crazy. you will find much flatter 10ks though. i've done it 3 times and it's always been great, the school is an excellent base for it and the course is beautiful. the views are amazing and the atmosphere supportive. you've chosen a peach for your first race!

there are loads of stunning races and routes to be had in central scotland especially in the summer. check out the scottish running guide for the most comprehensive race listings.
    Persoanlly I love the Callander Crags for a leisurely but hilly run which ain't far from you. or go from Bridge of Allan to Dunblane and back along the river path, short but sweet. you'll know the Hillfoots well no doubt so no need to tell you about Clackmannanshire! there is a free 5k Parkrun which is timed in Falkirk every sat morning at 9.30. run round part of Loch katrine is nice. forest paths in Queen Elizabeth forest in Trossachs is great too. there are hundreds on your doorstep. enjoy!

http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php

• Options

Thanks Ewan,

I will give the Callendar Crags a go. My running friends and I are trying to do a different run once a month.

I am so excited about the Balfron race. Terrified but excited. 

I have fallen in love with running.

• Options

Wow lots to catch up on

Lee Anne- Welcome

Glazier coming at 8:30 am to put in a new kitchen window.

• Options

Morning all

Cragchick - yeah the Easter hols do seem to have gone quickly this year.

BM - good luck with the new window.

Lee-Anne - I would have been at Balfron too, but this year it is the day after the Fling, so there is no way I will be running anywhere (well, not fast enough to do a 10k anyway!) image.

Feeling much better today, I think I 'broke' the fever on Weds night, couldnt stop shaking, had the cold shivers part and headache, but not the 'sweats' part, now thats gone it seems much improved. Still gunky lunged, so will give it today to make sure, and probably try a run tommorrow. Downstairs neighbour has been off sick for two weeks with hacking cough, so that is probable origin image, thinking myself lucky I have shaken it off in a week.

• Options

Ewan - you make Balfron sound great.  Is a 10K a fortnight after a marathon a stupid idea?  Let us know how you do Lee-Anne.

Cragchick - just looked at Lairig Ghru.  Wow!  That's the sort of route elevation that would have me running in the opposite direction.  Impressive stuff.

TP - hope you're reeling better.  Doesn't sound like a fun-filled experience.

Turns out eating 600-750g of carbs requires dedication.  I gave up at 400 and still feel rather balloon-like.

• Options

Just organised a week on Harris (to time with the HMimage)

57.5 Hope you're right about the weather at Cape Wrath
    (but will be in the sea whatever even if not sunbathing weather image)

FFB Happy 22nd (we'll be on 29 this year!)

• Options

Ouch Ian - don't overload yourself image!

Harris will be lovely OH image, always fancied a go at that Half.

Was thinking about maybe heading back to cape wrath next year, mainly for the marathon - but I do miss that beach image.

• Options

Busy again

TP: new window fitted in about 20mins.

More catching up to do then some  cross training-Ironingimage

• Options
    ewan w wrote (see)

welcome Lee-Anne! the Balfron 10k is a cracking race, it's quite hilly in parts but nothing crazy. you will find much flatter 10ks though. i've done it 3 times and it's always been great, the school is an excellent base for it and the course is beautiful. the views are amazing and the atmosphere supportive. you've chosen a peach for your first race!

there are loads of stunning races and routes to be had in central scotland especially in the summer. check out the scottish running guide for the most comprehensive race listings.
    Persoanlly I love the Callander Crags for a leisurely but hilly run which ain't far from you. or go from Bridge of Allan to Dunblane and back along the river path, short but sweet. you'll know the Hillfoots well no doubt so no need to tell you about Clackmannanshire! there is a free 5k Parkrun which is timed in Falkirk every sat morning at 9.30. run round part of Loch katrine is nice. forest paths in Queen Elizabeth forest in Trossachs is great too. there are hundreds on your doorstep. enjoy!

http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php

Falkirk parkrun has been shut for a while so DON'T GO THERE! not yet anywayimage I wish it was on as I missed the whole winter with course work then flu and I want to do it again. image Latest outlook is to resume May 6th.

• Options

Been out for a very snottery 6.6m slow run today image, legs felt really weird after a week of no running image.

Got back and decided to wash my trail shoes (I can hear you sniggering at me from here Cragchick image) - normally I would just give them a wipe or something, but after wearing these ones in the flooded Lakes last year, then through stinky sewer farm on the RAW, decided they needed a proper clean as they stank like raw silage image. Been putting it off, but figured if they get wrecked in the machine, at least I have others.

So, a pre-wash with Nikwax foam cleaner, the machine starts going mental, foam spews out of the door, water leaks all over the floor image......errrrr maybe by 'two cap fulls' they meant the inner cup and not the outer cup? image Foam central, it was like 'The Blob' in there, and it was slithering toward the cat image!!! Cat ran to his safest place - the cat basket I take him to the vet in - and hid in there image! Drained machine, scooped out foamy excess, water everywhere.....think I should have just left them stinking! Second wash on now - gore-tex reproofer - so far no foam and no leaks! Hopefully they will be dry in the next two weeks image!

Subsequently missed most of the football - and it looks like it has been a really good game.