Scottish Runners

Comments

• afternoon...

phew that was a significant catch up! Finally home from Mallorca and surprised myself with the amount I was able to do, although disappointingly the swimming was near impossible...image Shoulder update-am now down to just 1 or 2 doses of pain killers a day. Bruising and swelling much better. Movement much improved but still nowhere near enough for swimming... Managed a lot on the bike although uphill was a bit of a struggle at times as it was pulling a bit and I still have only about 50% range of movement. Can run but reps have been sore as the driving is still difficult and thats what hurts. More relaxed but have yet to attempt anything too long.. hoping to do a long run tomorrow in the Lake District though on our way to Manchester (for a concert on Monday night!-staying 2 nights, and will do MTB hopefully en route home). Hoping Im ok for CW.... it could have been so much worse though so I have to be grateful. My triathlon at the end of the week was a duathlon but I was happy with my time, esp on the bike!!

Great week if disappointing in some respects due to the injury. Weather lovely. Great roads. Quiet. Away from main resorts. Saw some famous cyclists and dined in Mr Wiggins' favourite cafe Tollos and got some nice new kit!!

well done Tricia on G2E!! Dont think these things are ever without a struggle or too!!

Welcome Lee Ann and well done any other racers. Glad you are running again Elspeth.

• Oh and welcome back (againimage) IJ and glad you're on the mend TP!!

Looking at new training plans since the week as the coaches were excellent and the standard was good and mixed. Bf won the tri... and he had a great time in the mountains. Good times had by all!!

Off for a rest this evening before we head off again in the morning....

• Good luck to anyone at Lochaber tomorrow, welocmoe back IJ and TP- glad the shoulder is setling, and didn't completely ruin your trip.

So now my question for those who have done both GE and the fling.............which should I do next year?

I've gone past the "never again" stage, to the "what next?" stage. I am already planning Clyde stride and Glen Ogle for this year, but should I do GE again next year, or the fling? - otherwise I'm not really trying anything new next year.

Dunno- I'm not much good at off road stuff at present, so would need to really get working on that side of it. I have time, though, and at least I know that 11 hours on my feet doesn't kill me.

The fling sounds more "fun" than GE, somehow.

• Just been catching up after a few days away. Welcome Lee-Anne, and welcome back IJ and Joe. 

Didd the parkrun again today. Quite a nice day, and good turnout. Doing the Angus half next Sunday (are you doing it Mrs Mac?).

Good luck to anyone doing Lochaber, and anyone else racing tomorrow.

• Welcome back UTC and glad you are mostly mended.

I will give you my opinion after the Fling tricia, but I did like finishing a race in Edinburgh where a few beers and a curry were of high quality and easy to come by!

Good luck to tomorrow's racers.

• thanks 57.5, off to the Lakes for a long run now but will have to see how things hold up as still pretty sore.... aiming for 18-20 but only time will tell...

• Anyone do the Balloch to Clydebank half today?

just had an email saying the timing hardware was gubbed. image

Anyway, had a great run and PB'd by a good 5 mins. Now just hoping the time isn't "lost".

Good luck to everyone else racing today...some wind to contend with in certian places.

• Afternoon all

Decent 12.5m run today, almost feeling back to normal image.

Glad to hear you had a good week despite the injuries UTC.

Tricia - I dunno if 'fun' is the right word, but image, there are certainly more runners, so you do get to chat a bit. Now you have a time for a flat 50, I would add a generous 2 to 3 hrs extra to complete the Fling, to account for the roughness of some of the terrain along Loch Lomond, and the hilly bits. This would get you finished within the cut-off image.

Got home today just as the last few stragglers were going into Hampden for the football - was looking forward to sticking the TV on and doing my stretching, but the game isnt being televised on terrestrial....Bah!!

In some moment of lunacy I was looking at the Loch Ness marathon website this morning image LOL, well, its been a while since I've done it, would be nice to go back, just have to put that pesky bus journey out of my head image. Leaning toward more marathons in 2014 I think, and fewer ultras.

Hope Ian is doing okay at Lochaber.

• Well done Kenny - hope you do get an official time.

Good running TP.

6 mlies this morning - tapering for next week's half. Quite windy.

• Hope everyone is surviving the taper.

I  had a beautiful run on the banks of Loch Tay yesterday and a cycle round Loch Rannoch. Just as well as the Tay has  today with all the melt water I assume.

my long run is tomorrow and I am going  do the 10k distance for the first time. Am planning to keep it slow and steady and see how it feels.

• Hello...image Back from a fabby week up Glenshee. Lots of running on the Cateran Trail and plenty of drinking wine imageBack to work tomorrowimage Right, off to see what you guys have been up to.......

• Well done Kennyimage

TP - glad you feel better but don't you know washing trainers is dangerous! Laughing at the cat running away!

UTC - glad your shoulder is improving, hope you are OK by Cape Wrath.

Mrs mac - nice wee holiday thenimage

Lovely morning here yesterday before the wind came. Had a sunny 10 miles from SKaill to Marwick Head, all offroad. Followed by a picnic on the beach - well for 10 minutes until we got cold!

• welcome back MrsMac and well done Kenny!

Thanks Elspeth... the annoying thing is the ROM progress seems to have slowed. I cant really raise my shoulder elbow 1st (if u know what I mean) and I was getting there with that but it now seems impossible.. The pain is settling but it now feels like ligaments rather than just bruising...image Any movement originating in the shoulder is almost nil if I attempt it without support of my other arm. I can cycle though and on a positive note I did manage a run today and it was relatively comfortable.. atlhough shorter than intended. Will run again tomorrow before gig (down in Manchester til Tuesday).

Glad you are feeling better TP! 

Oooh and on another positive, we ran on Southern Uplands way today... absolutely beautiful route and both bf and I are thinking of organising an Ultra there... would be a multi day event... what do you Ultra people think? Tricia.. TP, Elspeth, MrsMac... and everyone else, thoughts are appreciatedimage

• Morning all

Elspeth - nice run, sounds like a cold picnic image!

UTC - Southern Uplands has some lovely remote spots, would be great for a 'proper running' ultra - what I mean by that is, there is already an 'ultra' that does that route (not widely advertised) but it seems more of a multi-day walk and carry millions of your own camping gear type event, which put me totally off. If it could be trimmed back to minimum kit, no camping, maybe even an option to do sections of it in a oner rather than multi-day, or if it was multi-day some decent accommodation, then I would be up for it image. By the way - multi days make people cry - in some respects a oner is better, gets it over with quicker image.

• Lol - okay so I've just looked up the route and its 212m long image.....not that that would particularly put people off doing it one go image - so if you used the whole thing you would have one of the longest ultras in Britain. Go for it, lets do it image.

What kind of daily distances would you be thinking of? Or maybe there could be optional distances etc? You might find you get more entries if you have a choice, say 30m, 50m etc, or if people could 'drop in' for certain sections, but not have to do the whole thing if they didnt want to.

• Sorry you're still suffering UTC but good news on your run. VERY interested in your new Ultra idea...image

Did you enter Loch Ness then TP?

Alison, wasn't planning on doing the Angus half but I had a look and they're still taking entries..image

Great to hear you're out running 10 miles again Elspethimage Try and take it steady though (not that I'd be sensible/patientimage).  Brave souls pic-nicking in this weatherimage

How was the 10 Lee-Anne?

5 tready miles tonight as I had a dose of the CBA's after my first day back at work.

• Hi folks,

We're just back from Lochaber (via Loch Ness - I've been here for 3 years and wanted to see it), checked results and am so relieved to find out that I finally have a marathon time that starts with a 3!  Admittedly, the next 2 numbers are rather high, but that doesn't really matter.  A brief report will follow (no, really..) but it went pretty well - some very tight IT bands for the last 3 miles but generally I almost enjoyed it!

Thanks for the good luck wishes.  An early night, I think.  If you raced Balloch or anywhere else yesterday, I hope it went well. 

• Words fail me re what's happened in Boston.image

Hills x 6 in wind and rain. (Mile warm up and down)

Kids and MrsB back at work today

Younger son (in 6th Year) has been given an unconditional offer to do HNC then HND in Sports Coaching at local FE College

An early 'All The Best' to those on here doing London this Sunday.

MissB starts athletics at PE today.

Jamie: Welcome

Need to catch up on lots.

Back later.

• birkmyre congrats to son!

Also thinking about Boston today. Just terrible.

Well done to those who raced this weekend. I have been so inspired reaing through all the posts.

I went for a run last night but it was a bit of a disaster. Too much food and alcohol wwith not enough water and rest over the long weekend. Lesson learned.

Do I need to taper for a 10K (first one!)?

• Morning all

MrsMac - no, not entered yet. Think it might have to be 2014! I'm trying to save a bit of money this year, by limiting my race entries to more local stuff, so I will probably do the RAW again in Sept image, and maybe try to get in GO33 in Nov being as you lot all gave it good reviews image. Nothing planned further afield apart from SDW100, but that's a holiday image.

IanJ - well done, hey a 3 is a 3! Doesnt matter if the other numbers are 59.59, I would still take it imageimage

BM - well done to your son.

Boston thing - very sad, shocking to see on the news image. Anywhere there is big crowds like that these days, gonna attract these sickos....not so much aiming for the runners, as the fact there would be loads of families, innocent folks just having a day out image. London needs to be on full alert this week - what with the 'Maggie thing' on Weds and then the marathon, I wouldnt like to be a police officer this week image.

Off for a run in the hoolie gale outside!

• Lee-Anne - I would recommend a couple of short runs the week before your 10k, then no running on the Saturday, no alcohol Fri or Sat either image, get an early night and you will be raring to go image.

• Thank you tigerspaw.I don't normally drink so I just felt urrrrghy.

Enjoy your dooking outside (I had to put my wellies on to put the bin out!).

• IJ - big congrats on the time starting with a 3imageimage, must have been running well.

Blowing here too TP and the trails are all waterlogged, hadn't noticed that it's been raining! Just done 9 miles, bit hilly and I'm still so slow!

• Hi All, Glad that you are on the mend UTC. It will take a while I guess, but good that you are starting to get back into things.

Like the idea of the ultra too UTC.

Well done Ian J.

I had a lazy weekend and did not train at all, but got out for 17.5 yesterday. Brave TP going out today, but I will probably follow suit and head out later in the afternoon. There is a message going round FB on behalf of the Boston Athletic club, asking runners to dedicate a few miles this week to those affected by the bombing. So I shall do that.

• Elspeth - speed is over-rated image. At least you are out running again, and waterlogged trails are tough.

Well done on the 17.5 FFB, thats more than I've done for a couple of weeks now with this lurgy. Dedicating a few miles sounds like a fitting tribute. I'm with the other folks on here who are saying 'f*ck 'em' its not going to stop us running or doing big events.

My legs seem dis-connected from my lungs at the moment image, but I'm sure I will be fine by the Fling image, just a bit of 'post-viralness' going on and still some yukky gunk in the lungs. But my lungs dont ache or wheeze and I can breath okay, its just that its pretty disgusting!!! Did a good blowy 10m today, didnt get too wet, but there were a few occasions when I was literally stopped in my tracks by the wind. Looks like it should be less windy tommorrow.

Yuk Cragchick - that dust blowing about sounds hideous - no wonder you stayed indoors!

• Well done to your son birkmyreimage

Wise decision cragchick! That's what the tready is good for.

Good effort for running in that TP, glad you didn't blow awayimage

Elspeth, slow is better than stoppedimage

Head bursting tonight so resting up.

• Well done to IJ for a marathon time starting with a 3, and to Birkmyre for his son's place, and to those who got out despite the "spring" weather. I'm still recovering from GE, but managed a quick tready run this morinig.

Awful abouto Boston.