Scottish Runners

Comments

• Anyone here run the Balloch to Clydebank half ? missed it this year but was thinking of doing it next

• Afternoon all

MrsMac - looks like lots of snow forecast for Tyndrum area Thurs/Fri, but the southern part of the trail should be okay. Good forecast for Saturday, dry about 6-8deg for Rowardennan mid-day, but very cold first thing and last, currently saying 0 to minus1 for Tyndrum at 7pm image!!! Errrrrm, not the 30deg heatwave of a few years ago to fry us all this time then image.

Two pairs of gloves for me then imageimage!

FFB - you will definitely be well prepared with all your antarctic kit image. Good idea re. the extra Crianlarich point, that section is quite long.

Got some tablet today YUM image.

• FFB, that is awful newsimage 

Sorry not to be seeing you there cragchick. Sounds like you're running wellimage

Thanks for the update TP. Currently having a nightmare deciding what to take as I'm leaving straight from work tomorrow. Dropping the car in Tyndrum and bussing to Dumbarton then overnight at sis-in-laws.

Good luck everyone for The Fling and any other races. See you guys thereimage

• Best of luck to all the Flingersimage and like Cragchick very sorry not going to be thereimage

Hope the weather is better than expected.

FFB - sorry to hear that.

Leg still bearing up and managing some short runs. Hope it holds out until Cape Wrath anyhow though will only be doing shorter things and slowly at that. Still rubbish weather here, windy and wet but improving a bit. Hoping for anice run at the weekend - well I can hope. And to keep in the spirit of the Fling it will be off road - though prob coastal.

Off to Glasgow next week with work, was hoping to see a bit of son who lives there but he is being sent to Kirkwall for the week with work. Bother!image.

• Oh FFB - so sorry.

Glad you are feeling better Elspeth.

I have had a rough couple of days at work so my head is all over the place.

Good news is that I got a place in the GNR!

• Really sorry about your bad news ffb.

Good luck to flingers, and anyone else racing at the weekend. I'm on-call, but hope to manage a run on Sunday. Did my first run since the Angus half this evening - just a short, easy one. Lovely weather; first time I've worn my summer running gear this year.

• Sorry to hear about your bad news ffb.

Hope eveyone is more organised for the Fling than me, though I do have the contents of drop bags plus running gear in a big pile.

I'll be the short haired, balding middle aged chap (I guess that doesn't rule out too many in the average ultra field image) in a yellow vest with reddish diagonal stripe. And several other layers I'm sure.

• Morning

All the best to all The Flingers. All  have a good one.

Lee Anne: Good news re place

It sure is busy on here these days. good to see.

Legs stiff from yesterdays hill session. So walked Goeordie. Might try an indoor bike session later.

• Morning all. Thanks to everyone for your comments. What a week it has been.

I have a new contract, but it is in Aberdeen imageimage

I am currently struggling with what  to wear tomorrow? base mid and shell might be too much image It will definitely be long tights and I am thinking my skins rather than HH.

What are the other flingers going for?

Will I need a head torch for the evening? I don' think I will but Mr FFB thinks I might??

• Morning everyone

Lee-Anne - good news on your place. Good luck for Balfron, enjoy the free orange segments at the finish image!

Well done on the job FFB, that is gonna be one long commute image. My neighbour used to commute to Inverness every Mon morning and come home Fri night, leaving her (grown up, early 20yr old) kids the free run of the flat all week, then she would have to spend all sat cleaning up all the mess they had made image! I would have been like, errrm heres the marigolds image!!!

Safe travels all you Northerners coming down for the Fling today / tommorrow. Such a shame you cannot make it CC and Elspeth image. Think of us all freezing to death when you are tucking into a nice cake in the Birsay cafe Elspeth image.

Hmmm, clothes, yes.....I also have a big load piling up in the bedroom. Will go for long ronhills (my compression tights hurt too much over that distance image), base layer, short sleave, merino, and jacket. The merino and jacket can go in the bag once it warms up a bit. Looks like the coldest bit is going to hit us somewhere between Bein Glas and the finish image! I'm taking a mini-light thingy for emergencies, but you shouldnt need a headtorch FFB, unless you finish after 9pm......if in doubt you could always have Mr FFB meet you at Crianlarich with a torch.

Good luck everyone, and see some of you tommorrow image.

• I might actually now be packed and ready to go.....

imageimage

• TP - you read my mind, cake in the Birsay cafe after run!image

Good luck to you all and stay warm!

• FFB.. hope you are bearing up ok... that is terrible terrible news. Take care.

Oooh good luck everyone doing the Fling at the weekend!!! Turns out there are a couple of our club members doing it that I didnt know about. Most are doing Highlander Mountain Marathon though

Lovely wee run after work toay after I didnt make it out this morning. Really perked me up. Had been a bit down about everything lately what with recurrent injury affecting fitness but now feeling a bit better.

Long cycle and shortish run tomorrow then long run Sunday... really hope I'm still fit enough for CW although going by last week's run (albeit shorter) pace seems not too bad.

Good luck LeeAnn as well at Balfron!!

Elspeth, will you be racing at CW?

Hope everyone is well!

• Evening Tri

Just finished reading David Millars book.' Racing through the dark The fall and rise of David Millar,' Very interesting read on the guy.

• everyone is obviously busy flingin' image

• Go Flingersimage

Just had a fantastic 10 miles on the west coast though, great day for it, cold sunny huge waves. And a lovely lunch at Birsay Bay cafe.image Still would have liked to have done the Fling though!

Trying to rearrange travel for my trip south(work) - our boat is seriously brokenimage so having to go via Aberdeen instead. should work Ok I think!

• sounds lovely Elspeth!!image

went for a cycle this morning a few loops of a good reasonably hilly 10 mile section through west end/milngavie/bearsden. No vertigo!! Very pleased I may have finally conquered it over that areaimage

Having caught up on the rugby (Leinster v Biarritz) now off for a wander as its so nice out.

• Cycle sounds nice too!

Hear that 57.5 did a really good timeimage, as did Mrs mac image Well done!

No word of TP and FFB yet.

• Late post from me....fed, showered, but had to eat a packet of crisps before bed image.

Lovely day on Loch Lomond, the new start order seemed to work well and things didnt get too congested, in fact less so later on. Conic redeemed itself in my opinion with its shiny new path which I found much easier to climb and especially descend than last year. Felt great for the first 34m, focused, mentally strong, legs going for it, then the wheels came off the waggon spectacularly somewhere around Inversnaid/Bein glas, not too bad going over the rocks, but when I tried to run again after nothing was happening! So walked/hobbled quite a lot of the last stretch. Caught by FFB with 3m to go, we ended the race in style together and ran pretty much the whole last 3 at a faster pace than I had moved for the previous 20 image! Certainly the terrain played a big part this year in my legs not wanting to behave, cos mentally I felt really good and up for it, probably went out too fast trying to push for a sub-14.00 finish, gee'd on by being with all the speedy boys at the start image.

I knew I should stick to flat races....hills PAH!!! image

In honour of Elspeth and a 'long distance cake share' moment, I had Jamaica ginger cake and tea at Rowardennan image. YUM!

Look forward to other reports coming in image.

• Well done to TP and FFB as wellimageimage, nice that you both came in together. A tough race you all did really well. Couple of  Orkney boys with good times too.

image to the long distance cake sharing moment! Sometime would be nice to be there for it though!

Utra tri - you still doing Cape Wrath?. I'm thinking it's going to be the half, round durness race and maybe a short leg of the marathon for me nowimage. Had a plan to do a team marathon with a friend from home who could have come over but had a no to that from the organisers. Still a bit tempted to walk run it but sense tells me that would be foolish. Still looking forward to it!

• MilidhMilidh ✭✭✭

Last run in North-East done for a while, still building back up to what I used to be able to do , speeds getting better need to work more on distance. Hopefully will get a good summer of running in Orkneyimage and not blown about too much. Wind should be good strength/endurance training at least.

• Morning all. Wow what a day imageimageimageimage I had a similar race to TP. Feeling great and strong at 34 miles and was still 45 mins ahead of schedule. So, so slow through the technical section between Inversnaid & Beinglas and getting lots of cramp. Made Beinglas 10 mines before the cut off having lost all my 'time in the bank'. Just like TP I could not get going again in the last section. Walked most of it, and the sweeper caught me. Then spectaularly with 3 miles to go I managed to start running. Saw this figure ahead of me, and as I got closer I recognised the runnign style and the blue cap. Never thought I would see TP, but was so glad it was. It was great to be able to finish running and with a friend image

Lessons for me: if I am going to do more of this type of race, get more practice on rought technical terrain (narrow paths, rocks and tree roots); have some electrolyte tablets, and dont' rely soley on energy drink, which you get fed up with and stop drinking cos it is too sweet.

Could not eat when I finished or got home, but did manage some chips about midnight. Woke up starving this morning. Going to hobble out to buy some steak shortly.

• Well done both of you! I am so jealous- but still not sure that I have the guts to go for this next year- I'll really need to work on my off road skills, and then decide, but sounds like a great day- although the weather looked a bit "iffy" at times- must have been chillly by the end.

I know the feeling of being unable to eat at the end of a race, - takes ages for metabolism to settle, doesn't it?

I just did a quick tempo run today- I haven't done anything except plod for hours at a stretch recently, and I'm thinking of doing at least 1 of the polaroid series, - a 10k would be a serious shock to the system just now!

• When do you arrive in Orkney George?
    (certainly a bit blowy today)

• FFB - it was great to do the last 3m together, and it kept me running probably faster than I would have done alone - I certainly wouldnt have done the sprint finish anyway image. When I heard someone approaching, with the gates clanging behind, I assumed it was the knackered Irish chap I had passed a few mins earlier feeling a bit better on the flat, so I was really surprised and glad to see it was you image. I got to Bein glas at about 5.08, dithered with water bottle etc, and left about 5.15, so you must have been not that far behind me throughout that last couple of stages.

I usually cannot eat very much straight after either, but last night was bloomin' ravenous image! I ate a half portion of fish and chips in the Tyndrum car park and bag of crisps when I got home. Could have ate more but it was so late. In fact I passed and chatted to a couple of walkers near stinky cow path at about 6.45 and was ready to mug them of any dinner they might have had in their bags, sooooo hungry image. Today I've already had a cooked breakfast and 3 slices toast, and later I'm gonna have a beef roast image. Nuun tablets really help keep the stomach working, although yesterday that just meant I was fantasising about food for the last 4hours!

Tricia - eeeeeek to the thought of a 10k image!

• Well done fellow Flingersimage What a cracking day eh? Nice to see you (very briefly) at the start FFB. Good stuff to you & TP for bringing it home togetherimage Well done 57.5 tooimage

Sounds like you're doing great Elspeth, keep on keeping onimage

Good luck with the Polaroid series Tricia. My sis-in-law is doing it too.

My Fling went ok until Beinglas where the wheel came off for me too. Had to let my friend run on who I'd ran all the way with up until then but I felt she was pushing just a bit hard for me at that stage. Slogged the last 12 miles but was quite strict and making myself run all the runnable bits, also made a point of talking to every runner I passed so as not to get downhearted and miserable. Pleased with my time of 10.56.19, a 24 min PB image Now got The Cateran Trail in 3 weeks......image

• Wow, brilliant time MrsMac image.

• You should all be very pleased with yourselvesimageimage, big well dones. Nice to be able to finish with a friend TP and FFB! Really excellent time Mrs Macimage

TP - sounds nice refuelling strategy, cooked brekkie is really yummy after ultras and I've only done short ones.

I do feel envious, I love running on rough terrain, though maybe less so 30 odd miles in but guess my bones just don't stand up to too many long runs.

Anyone up for a little run Tues/Wed evening in Glasgow - only half joking! Guess I will go for a plod down there sometime.

• George - welcome to Orkney - if you want a run with some of us sometime let me know. You will certainly get used to the wind.