Scottish Runners

Comments

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Great race report Audrey- bit worrying reading for me, as I am planning to try to get into the fling next year. I think my running on uneven paths will need a bit of work- hence the foray into the hills earlier in the week- there's a lovely little cycle path along the side of Loch Humphrey, which I'm sure is good practice for WHW running, but is blocked by forestry works after onyl a fairly short distance- hopefully they'll clear it later in the year.

Did the parkrun for the 2nd time ever today- a 5k PB! ( OK , only my second ever 5k result, so happy with 24.06).

Now I remember why I prefer to plod slowly for several hours, - still feeling a bit shaky after that all -out effort!

Bought a new toy................MIO link HRM- it goes on your wrist- no chest strap, and sends the HR info to your garmin ( or iphone, or whatever), also has lights of differnt colours for various pre- set HR zones- so you can tell at a glance roughly where you are in terms of effort- this might be a good tool for base- building runs, a snip at £80!

• Well done FFB - great Fling pb image. Good luck with the new job, at least Edinburgh is closer than Aberdeen for commuting.

Well done on the 5k Tricia image (faints at thought) image.

Nice 15m run today, road stretches busy but not too bad in the parks. Having a big ham salad now with radishes grown on allotment - they are the first things that are ready, but I think the onions and garlic will not be long image.

3.30 - Arran Half is usually early August (slightly pushing your 20m limit as its the only one I can think of).

• Talking of the Fling - I've read quite a few race reports recently, and it has taken its fair share of 'trophy heads' when it comes to defeating runners. Many a 'top' or 'fast' runner has come a cropper attempting it.

I think the first year I did it I just went in with a kind of blissful naivety (eat and drink and run and walk and hope you get to the end, was about as complex as it got) and I figure on a first attempt that is probably the best way! image  Ironically my first time was faster than my 2nd or 3rd attempt image...

• actually it was not so much 'hope you get to the end' as 'you had better get to the bloody end because you need this as a qualifying race' image, so quite a motivator!

• FFB fabulous race report, a lot I have read on Facebook are very inspiring and make you want to enter next yr, yours is inspiring but realistic. Makes me want to enter but take it really really seriously and only when I have the time away from family commitments and work to really get it right.

I met Robin at Strathearn marathon last yr, we ran from mile 10 to the finish line together chatting all the way. He is such a lovely man and very inspiring. And I hear he makes a habit of being peoples running angel getting them to the end of races.

Out of interest what is longest training run that u do preparing for something like The Fling? That is really what is holding me back, longest run I can fit in around work/ kids at school/ hubby works nightshift/ eldest who usually helps out with childcare is off to Uni this yr and will likely b working weekends. So I can only run during school hrs and most I can get in and guarantee to b back to shower, eat and collect kids is 22 Miles. But I can do back to back long runs. I am training for Lochalsh dirty 30 just now and have done numerous 20-22 Mile training runs and am running Edinburgh marathon as a training run too. But haven't attempted back to backs as it's only 30 Miles. Would introducing back to back long runs with maybe a marathon thrown in to training b enough or do I need to b able to do longer training runs?
  • TT - opinions will vary, but for me back to back runs are the way to go, especially useful if you have limited time and want to maximise your training. I would also say essential for getting used to time on your feet when you are tired.

I would use races as your longer training runs - so as you say, a couple of marathons would be ideal, preferably hilly so you get used to descending (as this is what will knacker your legs on the Fling). And a build up of races to include something around the 30-35m mark in the months before, the more off road the better, should get you to the end.

Essential to leave enough recovery time between events though, and remember which is your main goal.

• I might be - if you excuse me saying so TPimage - at the other end of the field but I agree 100%. Also get in practice with the food and watering system you'll use for the race on the long runs.

I also find another way to get in good training without massive time investment is to run a good distance immediately before or after a short (10k - 10m) race. Getting used to running on tired legs is vital.

Sadly my US trip is over, with one final run down the Potomac River yesterday as a reminder of warm weather. A few miles planned in Bishopbriggs tomorrow, I'm anticipating feeling a bit chilly!

• Finding races in the months before is the hard part. There is loch katrine ( hopefully a yearly event now FFBimage ) and D33. D33 better from the distance point of view but LK better for hills, so thinking could do LK but do a 4-7 mile run beforehand. Hubby works nightshift on a 4 wk rota too so fitting in with that and my work as childminder Mon-Fri is not easy. Only have one car too unless hubby gets his motorbike on the rd, bn lying in garage in bits for yr and half. So lots of pain in the butt annoyances to work round. Got plenty of years ultra running ahead of me tho so if have to wait til youngest a bit older then so b it.
  • I'm sure one reason there are a lot of older runners doing Ultras (quite apart from our diminishing speed) is that logistics simplify as the years go by.

• Lots to catch up on, again

• Very true 575 In 10 yrs time when micro Tangy is off out gallivanting with her friends at the weekends or holed up in her room studying like mini Tangy I will b able to go off roaming the WHW on a Sat til my heart's content ????
  • Or maybe she'll b coming along with me????
  • Start 'em young TT image!

I was looking at some of the Fling photos that have been posted in various places and once you get past the first few speedy folks, the avg age can only be described politely as errrrm...old image, some very old image!

Race photos are probably best avoided on ultras though, cos generally most people just look knackered...especially if some sneaky photographer catches you unawares image.

• TT back to backs are good. The longest long run I would do would 30ish, partly time constraints but also amount of time out. A 30 mile training run will pretty much take all day based on the fact you will be slower than when racing and have to factor in travel to and from. Also, use events as training. That is what I did last year to prepare for Antarctic and again this year I did D33 as a training run for the Fling. The Fling is training for the Great Glen. Over the next 8 weeks I will focus on back-to-back efforts and maybe try to get a 30ish one in at some point too.

Great that you are now managing to reap the rewards of your green fingers TP.

• FFB - thanks image, but not so much any green fingered talent on my part (that resides with my mother), more throw it in the ground and see what grows image.

Plants are amazing actually, they will grow pretty much anywhere. Now, weeds...I am learning quickly that weeds like to grow in the most awkward places, usually right next to your crops so they are really difficult to dig out!

• Nice day today, should get out for a run at some point whilst the sun is shining image.

• Hello all, it's been a wee while! We've had a very strange couple of weeks. Had to fly straight back from London without doing the 12 hour race as MrMacs dad had a leaking aortic aneurysm.  He's since had 3 more emergency ops but is a tough old sod and is still hanging in there! Off to the WHW tomorrow to try and catch up some miles. Have a great weekend everyone image

• Ouch Mrs Mac - I don't know what that is, but it sounds sore! Quick recovery wishes to Mr Mac's dad.

I'm on mega taper.....! image In the midst of scaring myself with all the maps I've been sent for gucr, I decided a stiff whisky was in order image....longest stage with no CP is 20miles, and it comes after the 100m is reached image...ach well, just equivalent of a wee Sunday morning trot imageimage.

• My post failed image

Oh, Mrs Mac image that must have been awful and a stressful couple of weeks. I hope he hangs in and makes a reasonable recovery.

I have had an extra week of enforced Fling recovery thanks to my toes. I have managed the spin bike this week. One of the toes got infected imageimage and I have been on antibiotics.

I am now gearing up for the great glen. I am going to have to have a serious think about fluids and nutrition.

Booked the flights to Chile for the Volcano Marathon today image

I start a new contract on Monday which is in Edinburgh so it is a case of image I have a job and image because of the commute. One good thing though, they have said I can work in Glasgow 2 days per week. What I really want is to be able to get the speaking of the ground and paying, and the writing and then I can ease back on the contracting.

• Arghhh TP image That sounds epic and scary image

Makes my Volcano Marathon seem tame. I booked the flights for that today image

• elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    Mrs mac - So sorry to hear that, did wonder why you and your Sister in law had been quiet. Hope he's now on the mend and doesn't give you any more frights! Enjoy the WHW!

TP - sounds like a long way, but you'll be fine. We look forward to hearing about it after!

FFB and any other Fling runners - well done, sounds like you had a good one.

Still injured and facing a week of marshalling at Cape Wrath, had really expected to be back to normal by now but any time I try to run problem seems to recur. Not a happy bunny. At least have had the weather for a few decent cycle rides recently but having to make do with that and swimming for the moment.
  • Glad to see the forum is alive once more. Sorry to hear about MrMac senior; hope you get weather better than the forecast on the WHW.

Getting back on the road to the Great Glen Way with 10-15 miles a day, with a brief break tomorrow for the Benromach 10k which will seem a bit frenetic. Looks like I will make the Hoy Half too after our plans seemed to be unravelling.

Plan next weekend is to run Fort Bill to Fort Augustus Saturday and on to Inverness Sunday. Not sure I'm ready for the distance yet but it is the only free weekend. Will report on conditions for you FFB!

• Had a few hours out today tidying the allotment, not much more to plant out there at the moment as I've pretty much used up all my growing space...just constant weeding and building things. Made a new stand and frame for the tomatoes today, out of an old pallet image. Potatoes have become jungle-like in the heat / rain combo...

Elspeth - sorry to hear your injury has gone on for so long, Hope you and OH have a good time at CW.

FFB - good luck with the new job and your volcano marathon sounds cool (well actually, hot!!) image!! Noticed you mentioned using coconut water and almond butter as part of pre-Fling breakfast - I didn't know this, but a weight training friend of mine said they are both laxative (hence body builders use them to lose weight before competitions), so you might want to re-think using these before a long run or race image! Coconut water apparently takes the gut quite a while to build up a tolerance to and can irritate some people.

Short run planned tomorrow and really need to bring my mileage down now, gone from 50 to 28, to ?? maybe 20ish this week?

• TP that is really interesting. I have been using almond butter for quite a long time now. I started to use the coconut water last year taking it a few days before an event and then before and sometimes during. I will need to look into this a bit more.

• Saw cragchick at the 10k yesterday, she promises to be back in the forum soon. I assured her that none of us was posting too regularly.

Quite a good day for running if you could get into a group for some shelter from the east wind until a turn downwind for the last 4k. Had a nice battle with some regular competitors and came in at just under 6 minute miling which is encouraging.

Headed into the woods east of Lossiemouth today for a tough long run on sandy tracks. Lots of WWII remains to look at too, and great running conditions. Hope the weather stays settled for Cape Wrath!

• morning

Lots to catch up on

Trying to get Commonwealth Games tickets that went on sale at 10am online. A 60min wait !image

• Good running 57.5 image.

Come back soon Cragchick!

Nice run this morning before the rain came on, always amazed at how quickly they can clean up Pollok Park after the Women's 10k...not a bottle or sweetie wrapper in sight today image.

Good luck getting tickets BM image!

• BM, I know someone who managed to get some good tickets last night after a 30 minute wait although it had said a 60 minute wait.

I was lucky and got most of what I wanted in the original ballot.

It looks like I am going to have to withdraw from volunteering image I was out of contract for 8 weeks, although I did manage to pick up 3 weeks of part time consultancy. So I can't really afford to take 8 days off, which is the number of days that I agreed to do. But also they have assigned me 10 x 9 hour shifts, not sure how that equates to 8 days image, and I have shifts that clash with the 3 events that I have tickets for and apparently you are expected to give up your tickets.

Just a bad mix of circumstances. Had I not had all that time off I probably would manage, but I think the combination of more shifts than agreed, clashes and loss of earnings make it really difficult.

• Never got tickets.

Trying again...

Got tickets for the Diamond League no probs both days for Miss B and myself in July. Ordered them when they first went on sale. So if I get no CG tickets then we'll go and watch the Marathon and Cycling Road races as they're free.

Oh we did get Badminton tickets in the original ballot. So Mrs B going to use them.image