Scottish Runners

Comments

• OH glad to hear you were on both feet as you finished image

57.5 good to hear that the trails and paths good. My recollection from the sections I know was that they were good. Might opt for road shoes or maybe swap about.

TT as I already do the Loch Katrine Festival in March I think 2 spring events might be just too much to organise even for me image So, I am thinking October for the Ultra. Quite a lot of logistics involved as well as sorting the route so its still not a definite. I will hopefully do a trial run this year with a small invite only field.

• Would an ultra race alongside the marathon not save some work? Combine them into the same race ????

I am just being selfish cos that would suit me lol, My running all goes to pot over summer hols so just never going to manage to train for anything more than a half marathon in later part of the yr. already planning to use katrine as a training run for the fling when I get up the nerve to actually do it and was planning to add a few miles on at the beginning/end to make it a longer run.

But of course once my youngest is all grown up I'll b able to get out for wkend LSR's and I'll b able to do marathons and ultras at back end of the yr. just need to b patient.
  • CC - good cycling image.

GGW sounds like a nice route from your description 57.5 image. I am familiar with the Inverness end, and a bit around Fort Augustus but that is about it.

House back to peace and quiet now my visitor has gone, done millions of housework and been going through my route maps again for the weekend, for no other reason than to adjust my mind into the task ahead and I get a bizarrely perverse pleasure from the number juggling imageimage.

Here is some food for thought - these are the distances between checkpoints - 10.7m, 11.7m, 13.6m, 17m, 17,5m, 14m, 15.5m, 20.3m, 12.7m and 12.4m. Now the mathematically astute amongst us will notice that that big 20.3m comes just after the 100m point is reached imageimage... and I remember what state I was in last time I did 100m image. If and when I get that far I will have to make sure I carry lots of extra food for that stage, but generally on the other long 17m sections I will break it into smaller chunks and take my own food breaks based upon time on the feet.

I got a new battery for my wrist watch today, and will do everything based on time and pacing, because there is just no point even thinking about Garmins on this kind of trip image.

• CC - that Lakeland 3000 route looks really nice too.

On the way back from Oban last week there was a bunch of people in the RFC in Tyndrum discussing the 3 peaks challenge, they were on their way up to Ben Nevis to walk that first. I was really tempted to just drop into their conversation - you know it would be much quicker if you just ran some of that - but I managed to resist imageimage!

• Bloomin' 'eck TT image Loch Katrine Festival already has 3 races and a field of 350. It is like herding cats. Whilst logically the ultra could also sit in there as it incorporates the route I think it might be bit much even for my superior organisation skills image Plus D33 in March. 

My route for the ultra is Inversnaid to Callander which is 30 miles. If I add the mell loop it goes up to between 45 and 50, or there is a loop that can be added at Kilmahog that would make a 39 - 40 mile route. Include both loops we have 65 - 70 probably. There is very little flat, so depending on distance it could range from about 3500 feet of climbing to close to 6000.

• elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    TT/FFB - I don't think an ultra as well would be workable, and I guess some of the usual ultra suspects would be running the marathon, best to keep them separate I would think!

Would love to be fit to do it and certainly interested in your recce run if am anyway fit.

At present that seem a bit of a dream, went along to CW as Peter going, entered the hill race as a walker since I was there anyhow but just couldn't do it and ended up running, felt OK and all offroad so gambled and did the round Durness run the next day - I love that route. Thoroughly enjoyed it and felt fine and only 3 min slower than last year on no training but came back to bite me and back on the injury bench. Very frustrating.

TP - wow those are long distances without support but I guess you are prepared for it, really look forward to hearing about it afterwards and hope you enjoy it.
  • Lol I know was just being cheeky and chancing my arm, ur closer than D33 ????
  • Thanks Elspeth - glad to hear you got some running in at CW, and hope you can sort this injury soon.

'Herding cats' LOL FFB, I like it image! As a herder of one solitary single-minded cat I know what that is like imageimage!

• Probably a case of 'slowly, slowly, catchy monkey' Elspeth. As with all injuries it will take time and patience.

On the LK and ultra subject, I am really lucky in that the LK marathon actually get a fair few ultra runners running it because it is such a challenging course. Anyway, after a few more recces I will hopefully be able to invite some bods to do a trial in October.

I have a bit unexpectedly become part of the support crew for a friend who is running the WHW this year. She and her partner were supposed to be running it but he is injured, so as a result they have re-arranged the support and drafted me in. Cue some training up on the top half. Hopefully will be good training for GGW.

TP - thanks, I hope so! Meanwhile marshalling at CW was quite sociable though the 6 hours at the lighthouse on Sat were on the chilly side. Helped by lots of free drinks from the caf??, we kept trying to pay, a wee splash of whisky from one of the runners and good company from the other marshalls. Was a bit of a climate shock coming back to the crowded hall afterwards though.

Good week socially and the weather was mostly kind. Sadly the two guys at the bookshop have retired, leaves a bit of a hole. Kirkwall seems a bit crowded and built up in comparison.
    FFB - guess so, where can I buy this "patience" thing?

WHW support should be good training I guess but also likely to be at antisocial hours.
  • Elspeth, it sounds like you had a good week in spite of the injury image It is a great friendly event and very supportive

• Wow, the forum has livened up all of a sudden!

Had a gentle run tonight in great weather, then stopped at the pub so route report will have to wait another day.

Pop over to Hoy Elspeth, you'll soon get that lonesome feeling back...

• I like the Cape Wrath week, I'm seriously thinking I might go back and do it again next year image. It was the local headmaster giving out whisky on the marathon a few years ago I seem to recall - as much as I like a nice malt, 8 in the morning was a bit early!!

Taper run/walk today 7m, it was very windy so I walked those bits!!

Starting to gather things together for Friday - managed to accumulate the usual suspect huge pile of gear, clothes, food, shoes etc on the bedroom floor. Will start whittling it down a bit and packing nearer the time.

TP - you should, will be easy for you after all these mega long ultras! Headteacher now moved away from Durness, came back last year for his drink station at inshore but away at a wedding this year.

I would struggle to know where to start assembling all the gear for that long a run! All the best with it though!
  • So, the Great Glen Way:

From the race start the canal towpath on the east of the canal is mostly easy to run on, there are a few areas with shallow potholes so it might need a bit of fancy footwork to keep dry in typical west coast weather (it was wet when I ran it but had been fairly dry in previous days). Once you get to Loch Lochy there is a mix of decent paths, a stretch of road and then a long section on a good forest road. Back by the canal for a short while you are on a nice wooded path, then you get to Loch Oich where I took the old route to the right of the loch, so I can't comment on the west side race route. Beyond the Loch, the rest of the way to Fort Augustus is on well maintained towpath (though if it was really wet for a long while you might have to paddle over the ford where the canal can drain into the river!), this time with the canal on the right, so dead flat before the drop at the Fort Augustus locks. That whole section is really quite flat other than some short sharp ups and downs at the southern end of Loch Lochy and more rolling terrain further north by that Loch.

There is a bit of a climb out of Fort Augustus, then a long stretch on a good forest road with quite a bit of climbing (some steepish) but some fine views both north and south down the loch. At the moment the northern end of this section has about 2km on a temporary path because of logging, this was pretty slippery and unpleasant to run in road shoes, with some sharp ups and downs. Should be finished in July but the finish date has already been delayed!. The descent into Invermoriston is not too painful but the climb back out is very steep for a short time, onto a good forest road. This has several steep up and down sections and gets up to about 300m, more good views though and not much shade in places if hot. After the forest track there is a section on a newly laid path, good grip but all made on one camber or another that threw me off stride quite a bit. Towards Drumnadrochit there is a drop and another short climb with another road stretch (on a parallel dirt path in places though) then a trail giving a gentler drop to Lewiston Bridge than that on the road.

Drumnadrochit gives you a few fairly flat miles on a road with lots of walkers and tourists around, becoming quieter at you leave the village. Now there is another stiff climb, part of it on a slippery temporary path during lambing (no indication how temporary but should be back to normal in July one would hope). The occasionally slippery but mostly good path regular path climbs quite steeply to a forest road where you climb more gently for a while then spend a long time on relatively flat ground around Abriachan with a short stretch on a narrow path (you'll get wet feet and clothing in the rain with the vegetation pushing in on the trail) with lots of tasteful painted posts advertising what you can order at the nearby cafe. After this you are on a road for a few miles, great if you are feeling good, exposed and boring if you are not. Eventually at Blackfold a well made track climbs to the right and you get the final steady ascent of the route, before you flatten out on a very nice forest path for the remaining miles before the drop to Inverness. This section does get wet after rain though as drainage is poor.

Once the path drops to the right out of the woods past a pond you start the final 'quad mash', steep down a well made path towards civilisation, over a road, down a slightly rougher path then onto grass for the last descent. The final mile or so is flat, on a concrete path, then a track past a golf course and back onto the canal before a suicide crossing of the A82 (if you are racingimage) and a short 'sprint' the the Queens Park track. Having done this descent many times at a gentle pace to save my knees and once

• Mmmm, last line got cut off:

... at breakneck speed in a hill race I'll be interested to finish 72 miles with it!

• Morning you lot

Wow lots to catch up on I see.

Here we go.

• 575: I'll read your report first.

• Thanks for the report 57.5 image At loch oich we will be on the new route on the left side. If you are on FB and following the race FB page there is a good blog entry by Karen Donohue from last year when the did a trial run.

I will need to watch out for my toes on the descents. They will not be up for a hasmmering like they had at the fling.

Failed miserably in my plan to be up at 5 this morning to do a run/bike session before work. This commuting to Edinburgh does not half mess with your training image

• I am a bit of a sucker for old railway lines which is why I did the classic route FFB (rather muddy by the way). Will take a wee trip down the Great Glen nearer the race to do a circuit of Loch Oich and take in the course if I can.

I'm sure my 'report' is not that exiting if you are not doing the race BM!

Should really get out and run now but the weather is awfy dreich. 2 dogs are looking expectant though!

Anyone run in Loch Ard Forest SW of Aberfoyle? I have to help organise a challenging but pleasant run there with no local knowledge at all.

• Evening

57.5 - I think that forest might have graded walks set up, like posts with red, blue, yellow etc, but I've only ever cycled past, never been in. It has quite a big car park just off the main road, if I am thinking of the right place image. Sorry, bit vague!

Elspeth - mainly, I have to say, my pile of stuff to pack consists of food imageimage.

Would it be considered greedy to take an entire Jamaica ginger cake just for me? image

It is a long way...image

Turned into a lovely day today, had a good rest and just did some watering at the allotment, then got the car ready for heading South. Got a huge job coming tomorrow but that can sit in its box until I get back, at least I know I have some work on the horizon, it has been pretty dead the last few weeks.

• TP - I guess you may feel like sitting down for work come next week! I would pack two cakes just in case!

57.5 - what sort of run are you organising and when, sounds interesting but don't know the area apart from staying in Aberfoyle last year before L Katrine.

Back in the pool again tonight. Tedious - enjoyed my 2 open water swims in Durness more though they were rather cold. Oh to be able torun again. Mind this morning we had torrential rain, wouldn't have been nice on run or bike so sometimes it's good to be at work!

• Oops did it again, posting as OH, it's Elspeth!

• 57.5 I have run round Loch Ard. It was a good few years ago and the trails were not that well marked, but there is a good 7.5 loop you can do that is quite hilly.

• Been for a short 3.5m taper run and then gave legs a good seeing to with the massage stick image. Feeling a bit more loosened off now and ready to go image.

Good plan on two cakes Elspeth image. I think I will make a batch of flapjacks tonight and that can count as cake no.2 image. I made some last week, mainly with oats, nuts and syrup, very little butter, thinking they would keep - but my visitor managed to munch her way through most of them image!

Off tomorrow so will attempt to report back next week, hopefully in one piece imageimage. Canal path here I come...image!

Good luck and good weather TP!!!
  • When I walked the WHW as a youth (30 and 32 years ago, errrk!) I was fuelled mainly by Jamaica Ginger Cake and Ambrosia tinned rice pudding. So take several.

I am helping organise a Hash House Harriers event. While this sometimes involves more beer that running we always put on a long and strenuous run for the serious runners (a couple I have done have been among my toughest runs ever, especially one in the Malaysian jungle). I have the job of coordinating this run with a couple of others who know the area about as much as I do. If you are right TP hopefully I can get a trail map!