Scottish Runners

Comments

• It sounds like both TP and TT's experiences ended well, even if the racing experience was not ideal (TT) and downright nasty (TP).

I remember the London Underground was no fun after the marathon with all those little ups and downs.

Nice night, must motivate myself...

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the races, any idea what the problem was, TP? You sound like you were totoally out of sorts fluid/ nutirition- wise- odd after you've done simliar distnaces to that without troubles. OBviously you did the right thing stopping- you live to fight another day!

• TP appears courtesy of the Birmingham Tourist Board... image

• Ok, how did my post from earlier reappear here? All I did was log in with a tablet rather than laptop image.

• TT - well done for finishing when you felt sick. The temperature was all over the place when I was running on Saturday too, I'm sure that didn't help. I know a few people who have been caught out by the Edinburgh course, because of the crowds they have been forced along at too fast a pace at the start, and then it has either been hideously hot, or too windy.

Tricia - I've not been that well on and off this year with periods of fatigue, and was quite ill at the beginning of March, so that probably hasn't helped. But I felt fine on the G2E so I was prepared to just go out there and see how far I could go. As you say I have done similar (and longer) using the same food and drink, and had no stomach problems, really the problem on this was increasing weakness in the legs and lack of muscle control.

• A'noon

TP: Well done

I have lots to catch up on obviously.

• Great report TP, well done for even having the balls to start, never mind stop when it went wrong. DNFing is not an easy thing to do, but its good you did, you'll be backimage

TT, well done for battling onimage

Was dead chuffed seeing Elspeths name appear on GO33 entry listimage

• Thanks MrsMac image.

Maya Angelou died today, and I here offer tribute and salute her memory, and as she said 'in pain, I shall rise...' imageimage.

• elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    TP - great report but shame it wasn't your day(s), brave to get that far when you weren't feeling good. You will be back indeed.

TT - well done in Edinburgh keeping going in a tough race. Sad that I won't get to meet you at Dirty thirty this year but think you'll enjoy that much more.

Mrs mac - don't know if it was lunacy entering the way things are but got to have something to hope for! Trying to be good and rest the leg for 6 weeks, so far going stir crazy after 2! Trying to learn front crawl for my sins - I will take a lot of teaching!
  • That was some epic trip TP (really OH this time). You're not enticing me to try it. Well done for giving it a good go.

enjoy dirty 30 TT, we certainly did last year. 

• A friend at the weekend wedding, who was going to be spending a couple more weeks on the west coast, got a text from her old boss to ask if she was doing the Dirty 30. She was not sure if this was him being a sleazebag or referencing an event. Good thing I was able to put her mind at rest!

• TP & TT well done for persevering. TT you finished image and TP 53 miles is not to be sniffed at. Respect to you both.

• Thanks all.

I'm going to take a bit of a rest from training and let things recover before I attempt anything else. Not that I could do much at the moment anyway!

Good luck with the swimming Elspeth image!

• TP: Well done on writing (not sure if that's the correct word...)the 33,000th post on hereimage

Does Robert, who started this thread, ever look in ? I wonder ??

• BM - I hadn't noticed image. Wow, this thread has been going a while.

• TP: Yup this thread has been going a while.image

• TP:Just checked back. It started on 2nd Jan 2003 !

• Must be one of the longest running threads on RW image.

Shows how much we like a good blether up here image.

• Morning

TP: It sure does.image

Cracking sunny and warm start to the day out here image

Is anyone driving from Glasgow to the strathearn mara? I will be going up on my own, and would love a lift if one is on offer, as I've not tried driving myself home after a marathon before.

If I can't blag a lift, Iam driving myself, I could give a seat to any brave soul needing a lift to the race, but be warned- my car is tiny ( MAzda MX5- not comfy after a race!), and I may be trying to drive with cramp on the way back!

Was meaning to run today, but work was a bother this moring, and then had a visit from a double glazing salesman  this pm- not happy with the high pressure sales chat, and the pseudo "special discounts", and the whole pantomime of repeatedly phoning the boss to see if we qualify for special discounts, etc. Then he wanted us to make a snap decision today, as the special price will magically disppear by monday. GRrrrr. NO way I trust a company using those sales tactics.

• Tricia - not often I would advertise a company on the internet, but if you want a reliable service and none of the sales chat try Pollokshaws Glazing, they are a local company based in Shawlands, been going for years, did all my glazing spot on (they use proper carpenters so even built new window frames to fit my squinty 100yr old building), they also have done window repairs in our close for the factor with no problems. Worth a phone call anyway image.

5hrs on the allotment today, got a bit wet image, but caught up with all my jobs I've been wanting to do.

Thanks- I think we'll be definately going round some local companies to see what is on offer. Even if the big guys have cheaper prices, I am worried by the attitude, and a quick internet search reveals some scary customer reviews for this particular lot ( weathershield).

Just back from 10 miles in the warm drizzle- am trying to "HADD"- so most of it was run very slowly at

less than 75% MHR, and a bit at the end at 80%, which is apparently supposed to be marathon pace. Will be a bit slow, I'm afraid, next week- hope there are still cakes left when I finish!

• Strathearn ladies allotment volunteers always manage to put on a good cake spread - quite jealous, but I'm too knackered to enter image.

Out for a very careful slow run this morning to test the legs, everything seems to be working again after last weeks disaster, and that hideous flu-like tiredness has finally gone image.

It might just be my imagination but I think they might be starting to clean up Glasgow ready for the CG events imageimage! Lots of work seems to be getting done anyway...

• Found out today that my friend I had up staying before GUCR has been off work sick with a stomach virus......hmmmmmm image... puts 2+2 together, makes 12...

Someone please remind me not to have visitors (or leave the house) before I do a major race again imageimage.

• Double glazing salesmen - by the time in my life, I had an interest in double glazing, EVEREST had woken me up, got me out of the bath etc so many times that I had resolved NEVER to use their company.

TP - think there may be a connection there image

13.5 miles this morning and I have a very red scalp. It was cloudy and had only just stopped raining when I went out image

Nothing like  bit of a suntan..........must pack everything from waterproofs to suncream and migde repellant for sunday.......4 seasons in 1 day?

• Loved the Strathearn marathon last yearimage but too close to WHW for me. Have fun triciaimage

Suncream has 2 uses in Scotland OH, sunburn prevention AND waterproofingimage

Boo to infectious visitors TPimage

WHW taper officially starts todayimage

• At a very warm 10 mile race Sunday I was one of a small handful wearing hats, and probably used far more suncream than most of the rest of the field. What is it with Brits and their love of sunburn image.

Happy tapering MrsMac.

• I *don't* love sunburn, 57.5. It *was* cloudy and had only just stopped raining when I went out and was only out for just over 2h. See you on the 15th ...