Scottish Runners

Comments

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

I missed out on CS 40 this year, as I have the FW marathon next week, and you can't do every race! I was going to volunteer, but ended up getting a n invite to a big party intead, down south. It sounds like a good day was had all round, and the course record has gone again.

I'd definately do it again, it's just fitting in all the races without ending up broken by the autumn!

• Definitely got to pace yourself (that's party-wise and running!) image.

Run this morning then off to the allotment for lunch, potato digging and a bumper crop of raspberries and strawberries image. Home grown potatoes and carrots for tea followed by fruit compote YUM!!!

Looking forward to the run next week, will no doubt be 'different' image being a new race.

• Might see some of you in Fort William on Sunday.

Forecasts all predicting dry morning with rain in the afternoon, so the sub-3.30's might get a dry run but the rest of us are in for a soaking image! Luckily there is supposed to be a tunnocks wafer and a miniature whisky in the goody bag image, might ease the pain!

Good luck all.

• A bit 50/50 if I'm going to be there still TP, but hopefully will see you if so!

Plenty used to rain and hail this summer, it's sun that might come as a shock should it happen!

Hope you've finished partying in time for Sunday Tricia!

I'm ready for sunday- crappy night on call, and now sipping a beer, feet up, recovering from that. Will head up there on saturday afternnon. My main worry at this stage is midgie attacks!- hope it's either windy or cold enough to discourage them, at least whilst hanging around at the start.

• Ouch - slightly sore legs today from all the downhill sections image!

Good hilly race, great scenery, really enjoyed it (even the 4m uphill to the finish which felt like it would never end through those woods image!). Overtook a tonne of people in the last 6miles, probably why I am feeling it today!!

• Midge bites took a while to come out - 7 on right arm, 3 on left, five on legs around sock and short lines!! image Didn't feel them at the time....

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done FW runners! I read Tricia's report on another thread and you are officially hardcore.

You should come and do the Fife Festival of Trail Running (15k) at Falkland in September: nice and short and there are no midgies in Fife. image Also we always have loads of good home-made cakes.

• When in Sept is it? Might be nice if can fit it in with our hols!

Well done at FW everyone, really sorry to have missed it but OH was too poorly in the end. Oops and I'm using his identity again (elspeth).

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's on 5 September (just had to check; just as well I can make it as I've already entered!).

• Sounds like a possibility, thanks for the info!

• Sorry you couldn't make it Elspeth - maybe next year?

No midges definitely sounds good to me at the moment imageimage!! The itching is worse than having sore legs!

Hmmm, I was wondering what to do in Sept. image.

Miraculously I only have 1 bite! That smidge stuff seem to work, I must get some. The legs have recovered from the race, If I wasn't having such a crap week at work, I'd have got back to running already.

• Where is everyone these days?

Officially feeling fed up. Ran Kirkwall half on Sunday because it is there and to make up numbers to a grand total of 24, tripped in last mile, skinned knees and hands, got up, tried to "catch up" tripped again(why oh why?) and came down with a terrific crunch and upper front teeth bashed inwards. Got up, thought about crying, walked a few steps and jogged to the finish (1.54) dripping blood from mouth, nose and knees. Looked like a monster, teeth knocked backwards, waited for Peter and visiting friend to finish, other friend phoned NHS 24, went home, waited for call - ended up in oral surgery with maxillary fracture containing

the displaced teeth. Very expertly reduced but got a brace and soft food only for 4 weeks and I guess going off to run Speyside Way on Sat is now out.

So that makes three events I've missed this summer, maybe I should give up on 2015!

Hope everyone else is going better.
  • Yup -seems to have gone dead on here. Sorry to hear about your fall, sounds horrible. Hope you recover quickly.

Is anyone else out there?

• Where are you all?

Tricia - Doing OK but disappointed (though not surprised) to hear oral surgeon say yesterday that he wouldn't advise running as a further fall would cause more extensive damage as the brace is so rigid.

So so far Speyside Way, two local HMs and Langdale out the window plus a holiday in a weeks time with no running and mushy food only. Great, time to take up knitting again or worse working on my appraisal !
  • Ouch Elspeth that sounds a horrible fall. Hope you recover soon!

Had friend up staying for two weeks whilst she was on a course, and had loads of work, so not much running here, although did get out at the weekend and on Monday.

Trying to get my bathroom a basic make-over but so far all the quotes have been outrageous, so I think I will be getting a plumber and a tiller in and doing the rest myself!!

Need to pick up on the training once friend leaves tomorrow and get some miles done.

• Yes- don't know why it has gone so quiet, hope you aren't off running for too long Elspeth- did they say how many weeks the brace is for?

Getting stuff done in the house is such a pain- we're about to do a major window replace job, which will be hellish.

Just back from 13 miles from milngavie along WHW- occaisional heavy showers, but mostly just very humid. Worknig this weekend, so not much running, except on treadmill.

• I hate having to get people in to do work too, much rather try to do stuff myself. I know a good plumber so that is one less thing to worry about, just need to find someone to do the tiles.

Long run today in hideous heat and wind, got some good hills in and then cut it short as the heat was flaking me out.

So yesterday I was down at Rouken Glen park looking for some allotment supplies in the garden centre, mainly netting for the broccoli, walked in the door to be greeted by a line of 1m high illuminated Santa's!!! Yes, it was 22nd August and about 18degrees outside and they have already started their Christmas display imageimageimage! They had also moved quite a lot of the useful gardening stuff in order to accommodate this tat!!! I think I might have to shop somewhere else on principle...

• People must buy Xmas tat at this time of year or it would not be available. Why!!

Glad to see the thread reanimated, even if it took Elspeth's DIY dentistry to do it! I'll fix most things around the house (one reason I've not been on here, lots of late summer jobs around house and garden to complete), but try to avoid repositioning my own teethimage. Seriously though, that must be no fun at all, hope you can get back running soon.

I have spent much of the summer running as little as possible, but did manage a decent half last week. Now trying to find a marathon in reasonable proximity to Scotland in Nov or Dec. It would be a shame not to run at least one in 2015.

• 57.5 - Thanks for making me laugh! Having worked with an orthopod who used his teenage sons to relocate his dislocated shoulder I did wonder in retrospect if I could have pushed them back myself but was glad of the local anaesthetic and the skill of our young oral surgeon!

Not laughing so much about the 4 week running ban and sad to miss the Speyside Way and other delights (Rousay Half though I may walk it this weekend it's not the same!).

Christmas things, completely ridiculous!!!!

You should have come up for the Orkney 100 in July 57.5, but if you find a Nov marathon please let me know! Missed entries for GO 33 which is a shame too.
  • Hi everyone, I am new to this thread but feel I need some inspiration. I seem to have lost my running mojo, not that it was that great to start with. I am due to run the Loch Ness Marathon next week but training has been rubbish so I am thinking the 10k may be a better option, seems a shame to miss out on a weekend away. 

I am hoping your banter and running tales, good and bad, will give me some motivation.

• Hi Helga43,  

I'm running the Loch Ness Marathon too.  We have just under 4 weeks left for training so still a bit of time to squeeze in a few long training runs.  

• Just got my entry in for Lakeland 50 for next year.

Entries opened 9am this morning, and were full for both 100 and 50 by 9.30am!!

No hanging about!

Welcome Helga - Loch Ness is a nice marathon.

• Thanks iksander and Tigerspaw, I am going to try for a long run at the weekend and then decide if it is the marathon or just the 10k. I may leave the marathon for this year and try fresh for a Spring marathon.

• Hi Helga, I am a newbee to this thread too (I think!) but have been visiting it for while. Good luck with training for Loch Ness; it is a great marathon and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I've done it three times but have taken the plunge for Berlin this year and alas, the two are on the same date. I've had a terrible couple of years of injury or impediment of one form or another and it is amazing to me that I haven't done 26.2 for 18 months now. I'm committed now since regardless of how I get round, I am focused on 'toeing the line'. If you do run Loch Ness then I guarantee you wont find a better marathon. If not, I'll see you there next year!

• Thanks Moomkin. I have managed to get Thursday morning off so I am going to aim to get out early and go for a 20 miler. If I manage that then it will be the 26.2. I will let you all know how I get on. 

• Managed 20 miles this morning, looks like the marathon could be on!

• Nice one Helga - 3wks taper now remember don't over-do it image.

10m today through the woods, bit of an autumnal chill, prefer running in that to the heat. Probably do about a 13 or 14m tomorrow.

Bathroom getting trashed next week (and hopefully fixed too!), cannot say I am looking forward to the mess and disruption...and no shower!!

• I love the word taper! Off to Keswick tomorrow to run in the Lakeland Trail 15km and then nice and easy for the next 3 weeks. 

Good luck with the bathroom Tigerspaw, nightmare without the shower.