Scottish Runners

Comments

• We all hibernated.

• Well race season is almost upon us. How is everyone's training going?

I had issues with shin pain while using treadmills at work. I approached the issue all wrong and thought it was related to working on a moving treadmill or something form related, but I didn't suffer at home. I've since come to the conclusion that it could be going from zero stairs to 20+ flights in a day. I made 81 the other day. I just never put 2 and 2 together.
  • Ran the last 2.5 miles of the St Magnus Marathon today as part of a 9 miler. Certainly up and down but runnable .

Anyone else for D33 next weekend?

• Kirkwall 10k date now fixed for 23 April

• That's good they've fixed a date for the Kirkwall 10k, I'd better check my diary.

I ran from Foveran around Scapa and along Bridalpath and back. It was treacherous in parts. Ended up on the deck 4 or 5 times. At least I managed to avoid the puddles when I fell and there was no injuries. It was a bit miserable though.
  • Have they finalised any of the other races yet? Dounby 10k and any of the halfs?
  • I am still alive and running, even if everyone else is 'resting' from the forum.

Gearing up for the West Highland Way Race, and kicked off the proper training with 100 miles on the Rob Roy Way (Drymen to Pitlochry) over Easter. Sore legs now!

• Orkney 10ks confirmed:

Kirkwall 17 April

Flotta 15 May

Stromness 23 July

Dounby 18 September

(Kirkwall half should be 2nd Sunday after County Show, Bis Geos 12 is on 3 September, Rousay Lap TBC Aug)

• (Kirkwall 10k date was changed to earlier date of 17th)

• Are you running Hoy this year OH and Elspeth? I still have to work out the logistics of getting there (with the scarily fragile new 45-49 trophy).

• No we've opted to go for Lochaber Dirty 30 which on the Saturday

• PB2PB2 ✭✭

Just moved to East Kilbride from London and hoping to start running a bit more (actually doing some running)

Joined the local gym and have been putting a few miles in but looking forward to getting outside too

• Haven't been on here for a while but still running, just popped on to say that I took part in the Great Tartan Skidaddle on Sat, Inversnaid to Callander on the new Trossachs Trail. 31 miles of views, lochs and hills, would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, small field but the slow runners were given at least as much encouragement as the leaders and a well marked route with hot drinks and cakes at the finish. Don't think it's that well known about so just letting folks know!
  • Great weather and time at Castle of Mey 10k last Sunday. Good medal haul for Orkney (2nd male and female with 1st and 3rd female vets). PB for me too.

Anyone else doing Lochalsh Dirty 30?

• Bit of catching up to do. Stopped posting here 5 or 6 years ago but pleased to recognise loads of names. Did you miss me ? image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Hi Gillian.  I remember you.  Not been on this thread for a while (like most others by the looks of things) but I'm back running.  Had a few years off (not totally, but from anything meaningful) having a couple of kids.  Now back in training and planning 3 marathons next year.  Eek!

• Good to see thread wake up again.

Heading back To Orkney on boat after Lochalsh Dirty 30 last Saturday.

Next race is new local marathon - St Magnus marathon on 3 July
  • Hi Nessie I remember you as well. Think we possibly met at either the Elgin 10k or the Edinburgh Marathon about ten years ago. Back when people on this thread used to wear a bit of green ribbon at a race so we would know each other.

3 marathons in one year is pretty impressive.My wee knees are not what they were so I stick to 10ks these days. Hoping to run 100 of them before something falls off image

• well done WHW nutters image

• Have now entered (local) St Magnus marathon 3/7 and FW Trail marathon 31/7 image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Might have been Elgin, Gillian, but I've never done Edinburgh, so definitely not there.    I thought it might have been Inverness half, but now you say Elgin, that rings a bell.

I've saved my knees over the years by totally undertraining for every race I've run.image

• A superbly organised inaugural St Magnus Marathon today - now the most northerly marathon in Scotland (and the U.K.)

... Off to the ceilidh now!

• Anyone else entered the Fort Bill Trail Marathon?

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Hi- it's weird how this thread is so quiet, isn't it? I'm mostly on the variuos marathon training threads, but it's nice to see a few old names still kicking about. Not doing many shorter races- marathons and ultras mainly- OH- I'm doing the inaugural glasgow clyde marathon, rather than fort william, then dunoon wee eck, then glen ogle. Haven't done a race shorter than a marathon for ages.

• Fort William Trail Marathon 2016

First trail marathon for me. First time doing 2 marathons in the same month.
    We travelled down to Fort William on Saturday to stay in a very nice B&B by Neptune's Staircase on the canal picking up our registration packs on route. Meal out with the other couple from Orkney on Saturday evening.
    The forecast was for light westerly, 14C, sun and showers so opted to go light in vest and shorts.
    Short drive to start. Eventually got into toilet at 9:29 (for 9:30 start) coming out to "1 minute" call, although it was chipped, so technically, I could have started a little late without penalty. By chance, managed to meet up with Els again at start. Also had a long chat with C who I knew from Cape Wrath while in the queue.
    The route is circular from Nevis Range Ski gondola. It heads out through undulating forest track before descending to Spean Bridge. Overcast and drizzle turned to steady rain although it remained warm. Midges were better than expected. I thoroughly enjoyed bouncing along this section, although in hindsight took it too enthusiastically. Exchanged greetings with a couple of runners I knew, but mostly ran along with Els until shortly before Spean Bridge when she moved ahead.
    We took the scenic route out to The Commando's Memorial passing the historic High Bridge. It was at this point the midges became more persistent. I waved to Els as she come back down from the Commando's Memorial. Also ate a Mars bar.
    Heading towards Gairlochy from the Commando's Memorial was downhill along an A road. It was at this point, I noticed folk passing me and checked my pace which had dropped to 11, not what I would expect on an easy downhill road. I could not find top gear thereafter
    Shortly before Gairlochy, a lady spectator (not British) ran after me pressing a bar of 70% posh chocolate into my hands, saying "This is for you". I do wonder whether this was because I looked so awful!
    I never really got back into any rhythm and had to push myself down the 6 mile section down the Caledonian canal, munching fruit pastilles as I ran along. However an unexpected shout from the canal did pick me up. I firstly heard my name being spoken followed by "C'mon the Orkney Runners". This was a group from Orkney having a paddle on the canal.
    Overtaken by quite a few along the canal, including a couple that I knew, and having to force myself along all the way.
    Passed our B&B on the other side of the canal.
    On the positive side it had now stopped raining.
    Next 3 miles were through suburban outskirts of Fort William during which Siobhan, the last of the Orkney group caught me up and left me behind.
    The last 3 miles took us back through the forest climbing steadily back up the ski gondola base.
    Still thinking I could make it under 5h but it was not to be. Reaching the gondola car park the route cruelly takes a sharp turn back up a steep track before finally turning back to the home straight to hear my name being called for 5h 2 minutes. 290/383
    I, like most others, crossed the line covered in dead midges but only a couple of noticeable bites (Smidge maybe does work?)
    Met up with Elspeth and other Orkney couple.
    Soup at cafe then gave friend a lift into Fort William before heading back to B&B for showers. Felt not too bad following day: We stopped off at Loch Oich for a swim and walked up Ben Bhraggie (t pay our respects NOT to Duke of Sutherland) on way back before ferry back.
    It was never going to be a PB course and most folk found the canal section hard going. I probably would have enjoyed the second half more if I had taken it a bit more steadily initially.

• Great race report, OH- FW marathon is a toughie, but enjoyable, as long as you aren't PB- chasing!. I might go back to it another year, but summer seems to be chock-a with races, - this year has a marathon or ultra every 3-6 weeks, and I still feel I'm missing out on a few I'd like to do ( mainly Devil of the Highlands, Great glen ultra- both races I'd love to try).

I think smidge works- I did Arran marathon with no bites, despite a very hot day!

• Hello,

I used this board quite a lot in 2010.  It isn't 2010 any more, as many of you might have noticed.  So..er...how have the last 6 years been for YOU?

Anyone??

• We're a pretty select bunch these days, but still here occiaionally. Are you still running?

Lots of good newish events going on too- I seem to feel the need to enter far too much.

• Hi Tricia, yes, I'm still running.  Returning from an unscheduled 2 year break with achilles tendonitis.  I'm more doing the shorter races these days.  Looks like you're doing the opposite!  Have you got any ultras planned this year?