Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    You're right the conditions couldn't have been better, and a well organised event. I wasn't feeling too optomistic before the start as I hadn't trained much for about the last month and not run any further than 8 miles since about January, so took it steady for the first 3 miles then felt good (in spite of the hills)so picked it up to 10 miles, then somehow struggled through to the finish, amazing myself with a 3 minute PB in 1:26. I will be publishing my "Don't train and still run a PB" article in RW soon. Fantastic goodie bag too!
  • Options
    Well done to Dougal for getting a PB, and to Matthew for getting a time I can only dream about. Managed 2hours 17mins, approx 1and half mins slower than my last Half.

It was a very warm and sunny day and it was a well organised event.

All the best.
  • Options
    I've got to agree with the last couple of comments. Inverness was really well organised. Congratulations to all those involved. I think I saw Nessie but I didn't have the guts to say "Hello" in case it was the wrong person. Sorry Nessie.

That was my first ever Half Marathon. The weather was perfect for me as there was no wind and it was warm without being hot. I set off at a pace I couldn't hope to maintain just to see how long I could hang on. I miled in the mid-7's early on and then slipped into the 8's by 9 miles. I was really toiling beyond 9 miles and just hung on till the end. I finished in a watch time of 1.44 which I was really happy with as my target a couple of weeks back had been to break 2 hours.

The last 3 miles were tough for me as I could see the finish across the river for quite a long time before I got there which I always find a bit demoralising. Nice course. Not too hilly and the ones there were I was expecting as they were mentioned on the Inverness Half website.

Cheers.

PPB.
  • Options
    Hills - what hills.. if you've done Lasswade last week or the Dundee 10, that'll teach you about hills!!! Inverness was flat as a pancake and a good course for PBs as I did...

But the day was great from start to finish, and it was great to meet up with a couple of forumites.. so hi to Nessie and Sarch again it was good to meet you no matter how briefly!

But thanks to everyone for the day...

Def consider doing again... and hopefully the weather would be as perfect!
  • Options
    CCCC ✭✭✭
    I agree with the previous comments, Inverness was a superb day, with great organisation.

It sounds like a lot of fast times were run yesterday, I managed a PB of 1:39. It is the flatest 1/2 marathon course I have run so far. I agree with StevieBoy, if you want hills try the Dundee 10 mile race!
  • Options
    Nessie, Where were you? I asked a few people where you were but no one knew you!! You should have worn a big bright T shirt with "Hello I'm Nessie" on it.

I had a good day coming in at 1.43.01 on my watch, I obviously just snicked in ahead of Ping Pong Boy there. I was happy enough with this which was my first half. Where to next team, Skye? Loch Ness Marathon?

T
  • Options
    I agree with you all, a very good day and race all round. I met cc and Stevie-boy briefly and ran 1.31.50, a pb by 5 mins too.

Isn't there an Inverness 10k sometime in the summer? There's one in Skye in May I think and a half later there too, although I think the hills there might put even Dundee's to shame.

Same goes for me Nessie, I looked for you but didn't see you.
  • Options
    The Inverness organisers continue to impress - full results are up on the website www.invernesshalfmarathon.co.uk
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed you PPB, Teflon and Sarcy. Glad you all had a good time and ran so well.
  • Options
    Just got back from Inverness.

It was a lovely day and the usual very well organised and marshalled event. Thanks to everyone who takes time out to do that.

great to hear of people getting PB's etc. I had a bit of a mare and ran 1.56 which is well down on my PB of 1.42 that I did two years ago in Inverness. Could it be the extra stone I was carrying around?

Never mind, I'll be back next year. Hopefully a bit slimmer! See you all there!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I know a few of us are recovering from the Inverness Half Marathon but I thought I would let you know that the Aberdeen 10k is on May 25th. You can enter online www.activeeurope.com. This website has several other 10k listed in Scoland in May which you can also enter online.

The Aberdeen 10k is mainly flat but maybe hard going if its a windy day. This year for the first time they are using Chips to record everyones time accurately.

May see some of you there.
  • Options
    who's doing Alloa 1/2 on Sun??
  • Options
    Hi, i'm a scot doing FLM, how about a comp for first scottish runner home on 13/4. A beer from me for the winner. No people with the surname McColgan!
  • Options
    Dont forget all those Scots Rotterdamers who got rejected from FLM....Good luck to everybody whether your in London or Rotterdam... I'll be at O'Sheas in Rotterdam if you want a Guinness....
  • Options
    scotjim, i'm doing FLM too..Good Luck!
  • Options
    Mands

I'm a late entry for Alloa on Sunday, re you going? Hope the weather's ok, heard the wind can be a nightmare.
  • Options
    EEyin, I seen from an earlier email that you're from Gourock. Which club do you belong to?
  • Options
    'SEE you' on Sun Mrs Mac.... not looking forward to hill at mile 12!!!! Good Luck!
  • Options
    MrsMac

The wind is nothing compared to the hill or hills just after 11 miles, keep some in the tank.
  • Options
    Hi Allan, I am from Gourock but apart from being in the SAF, Im not in a club. I see you are in the Glenpark Harriers. I know Robert Wilson we were in the RMR together. Good luck to him in London FLM. Im possibly at Alloa tomorrow and if I see any Glenpark vests, I'll ask for you. Although I read you all have a meeting in Dunoon this weekend.
  • Options
    EEyin. Good luck at Alloa if you do it. I did it 3yrs ago and vowed never to do it again. They promised a fast flat course but should have been done on the Trades Description because the hill at 12miles is a bugger. I think maybe Robert introduced me to you at Helensburgh's 10km last year.
    Good day at Dunoon yesterday and I'm still dying with the hangover from the post race bevvy session.
    If you ever fancy training with the club, let me know and I'll give you details of the various training times.
  • Options
    hi group
    to any one doing alloa good luck i ran it a few years to and i also have to say that the hill at 12miles is a good one.and thats me back in to running well i have went back to running with my old club motherwell.a.c.and also hoping to do the tom scott on the 6th of april all being well even o i am not totally fit but will give it a bash anyway.

alan
  • Options
    Ran Alloa this morning... can you believe Scotland can be too hot???!!! Good course, managed 1:52:04 which has given me confidence for London..3wks to go!!!!!
  • Options
    Did you enjoy the hills after 11 miles mands
  • Options
    dare I say that I didn't find it tooooo bad???
  • Options
    Good on ye mands, never ran it this year but have done it a few times in the past and I must agree it is a beautiful course, well organised(apart from trying to park your car) and good facilities.
  • Options
    Hi all. Good to see that this thread is still being kept alive.I am now on my 2 weeks countdown to Paris. Did my last long run yesterday. 23miles. Was not looking forward to it but glad to say that I felt not too bad afterwards and knees are doing ok today. Hope you all did well in Alloa.
  • Options
    Good luck to you in Paris Robert, the hard work been done now, ENJOY
  • Options
    Yes, Good luck Robert..
  • Options
    Finished Alloa today... they had ahemm run out of T-shirts ... no need to work out where I finished then !!!
    It was a real nice course ... almost as nice as Loch Ness marathon. I really struggled between 8 & 12 miles (legs like lead)... but allowed myself to walk up the hill as a treat for getting that far !!
    Slowest 1/2 marathon yet, but all the same ... enjoyable ...
    I can honestly say .. I can only get better ..