Scottish Runners

Comments

• morning BM image

looks dry and calm out today, can you verify? image

• Well done Tri. I'm sure you'll crack 48 mins soon enough then you will be aiming for 47 image

No birkmyre this morning? Must be a glitch on the Internet somewhere. Either that or he's slept in.

Have a good one!!
  • yeah where's BM?image

Thanks LB, yep a few seconds only in it - I will get there!! image

Night off tonight as my mum is dropping the dog off tonight while she's away for the weekend, so its dog sitting for me imageimage

• Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Good run last night trichick. Was it windy? The solo canal ride to Cadder was tough yesterday lunchtime, wind was 20mph from the west.image

Off to my first supervised gym session at Kelvin Hall shortly, not really sure why as I did 64min on the bike on my own yesterday...

Joe

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Just failed to break 50 minutes at Helensburgh last night -27 seconds off, but then it's not the fastest course- I usually pick up at least a few seconds for clydebank/ dumbarton. I agree clydebank is a bit grim, scenery -wise, but dumbarton is OK, unless the weather is like yesterday, when the uphill bit towards  the Bowling roundabout is a bit unpleasant with the lorries swishing by on the A82- most of the rest is on cycle path, so quite nice.

I manged to get in my car to drive home after the race, get half way out the car park, and get terrible cramp in my "clutch" calf- I could hardly get the car stopped, and then just couldnot drive at all- had to be "rescued" and car moved out of the way by one of the marshalls- how embarrassing.................it's never happenend before!-took me ages before I dared the drive home!

Joe- I think the fok at you supervised gym sesion will be shocked when they realise how much you're doing already- hopefully they'll be a bit more endouraging about the whole thing than your last interview.

•  well done Tri and Tricia.

Helensburgh last night. felt really strong first half and hit 5k at bang on 20 mins and about 30 seconds later, got the most hideous stomach cramp on right side. had to stop and walk for a good min and a half, got back into it slowly and got rhythm back, didn't experience any recurrance of cramp and recovered reasonably well to cross in 42.10. 2nd best time for the distance so far. given the wind, which was annoying and the delay, I'm not too bothered.

a little miffed about the cramp related delay but maybe I was just running too hard in the 1st spilt. the weird thing though, was my breathing was very easy, leg/back muscles felt fine and generally feel excellent right now so the cramps are a mystery. I quit smoking properly 1 month ago so was hoping for a miraculous improvement but wasn't to be. Clydebank next week though!

good luck to anyone at EMF this weekend.

• Hi

Elspeth - I have no idea why I'm not more worried, actually.  Keep getting twinges here and there and thinking "oh, that's not good just before a marathon" but not the pre-race trepidation I've had before.  Maybe its relative, and I'm just not as scared as usual!  Is the weather looking any better for you yet?

Tri - great run - though the 48 minute thing sounds frustrating.  It'll happen soon, though, with those times.  If you're getting that at the end of a hard week day when you've cycled there, I reckon you'll smash that when you've got the right course and a proper rest before. 

Tricia - well done on the run.  Hope you're feeling okay after your clutch experience.

Ewan - that's a fantasy time for me - with a walk in the middle!  Quitting smoking can do weird things to your system.  Could it be that?

Joe - hope the gym people are a bit more supportive than last time!

Gillian - beer, for definite!  I'll be in a Bellahouston Harriers (yay!) top - first time I've worn it.  Yes, I know.  But it'll be over something so I'm hoping to avoid unexpected chafing. 

In other news... no more of these tablets until after the marathon.  I am NOT having my digestion doing this halfway round.  Hope I haven't already undermined myself.  I don't think so. 

I hope your weekends are good, racing or otherwise.  No more pictures from me today.  That avenue has been explored.  The trees are fine, but the cars drive too fast.  And I'd imagined more blossom. 

Anyway...

• Good luck Ian and Gillian in Edinburgh.
    Well done, tri chick, Tricia and Ewan - I can only dream of those times.
  • evening image

Thanks for all the "well done"s. pretty sure I'll break 48 soon enough, its so close!! there are a few 10ks in the next 2 months to aim for.

well done Tricia and Ewan also.. Ewan thats an amazing time - especially with a walk included!! image image

Joe, yeah it was a bit windy but to be honest I didnt feel it affected me too much. In saying that it could have knocked a couple of seconds off which would have been enough to break 48!!imageimageimage

good luck all edinburgh-ers image Am quite looking forward to TPs reports soon enough!!

Have a good weekend everyone, think I'll be parkrunning tomorrow, havent done it in a while.

• oh and wonder what happened to BM today!! hope all is ok!
  • good luck to all racers at the weekend and well done to all who did helensburgh
  • Is anyone in the Edinburgh area doing Berlin Marathon this year ?

• Morning

Sorry, thought I'd posted on here early yesterday. Was off at 5am to collect our new Labrador  pup from Ullapool at 9:45am The Ferry from Lewis, meeting sis in law. So managed it by 9:35. Only a 10min break in I'ness for petrol. Then back to I'ness and down the Great Glen with a few puppy stops. Arrived back 5:45pmish.

Up and let pup out to do toilet, he's sleeping again. Go out for a run later.

Tri and Trisha: Well done on Helensburgh 10k

• morning BM image

yeah we were all very curious as to where you were yday morning (well, me and Longbow anyway image).

awww well done on the pup!! Id love a dog but Im hardly in so it really wouldnt be fair. On the other hand, I have my mums wee dog for the weekend again - she's sleeping too, all curled up on my bed image

was going to go to parkrun this morning but just too knackered and dont want to leave the dog too long. will head to spin then for a run myself. will be back much quicker that way.

have a good day all,

• Pup has been out for a  wee playimage
    Tricia - well done on the 10k. I can get quite bad calf cramp and usually avoid driving myself back from races.

Ewan - sorry to hear about your race cramp but you still ran well.

Good luck to Gillian and others in the Edinburgh marathon. Hope the weather is kind to you! image

Meanwhile my gym session was fun but probably the lightest training session I've ever done in my life. I had to do 15 min of gentle biking to warm up then about 8-10min each on the bike, xtrainer and finally the treadmill. Only got HR into the 120s on the last equipment. Then 10 min of walking cooldown and some stretching. The focus is on warming up the heart very slowly. At home I've been doing a bike warmup with hr 100-120 but they thought that was way too quick!! Oh dear. They asked if I could do some walking then the bike before I start the run. Anyway I re-emphasised my 'race' plan for June just to make sure the message has sunk in.

Have now had two consecutive evenings when my RHR test had minimum 47, average 53 so very pleased with the way things are going. Must have been all that slogging back from Cadder on the bike the other day image
  • Well done Tricia and Ewan on your recent racing. Ouch!! on the cramp front, to you both. I haven't done a 10K race for a few years but would I'd finish well into the 50mins, so great times. Joe, sounds like your health advisers are just wanting you to take more caution and not to overdo it. Must be frustrating for you but they must also be so pleased with how well you are doing.  I ran 5 miles yesterday at lunch time, in the gales. Hope it's a bit calmer today. Aw, MB, a lab pup. What have you called it? Do you think you'll take it running with you? Good luck to all doing the Edinburgh marathon tomorrow. It sounds like it'll be a good temperature for it. I'm golfing tomorrow, and going for a cycle soon. Managing to balance things quite well at the moment. Shame about the housework!!image 

• Joe - sounds frustrating.  They have to advise you within certain limits, I suppose - the joys of working in the NHS, and worrying about getting sued!   But some flexibility in that might be helpful.

Sheesh - enjoy the golfing.

BM - a labrador pup sounds lovely.  Post a pic image

Right - off to buy some jelly beans - god bless the placebo effect.  

By the way, if any of you are sucked into the sky today - put in a good word for me.  

• That wind was unbelievable. Good 14.5 mile cycle all on country roads and cycle path. Scary when I was on a busier road for a while. Cars just don't give you any room!image. That's why I'll never cycle to work or do much road cycling if I can help it. Might try and fit in a short run before golf tomorrow. Weight is starting to come off. Yahoo!!image 
  • Okay so that didn't work.image It is picture of the new pup !image

Try again soon.

• Right that worked in above postimage
  • awww too cute BM image

sheesh, I know all too well about the dangers/issues with cycling on the road. image Unfortunately (for me and the motorists most likely) I am a stubborn beggar so even after having had numerous accidents over the years, I refuse to be forced onto public transport (literally sometimes imageimage)

Off to my sisters shortly to babysit... along with my mums dog. Oh this is going to be fun. A 21 month old and a 3 month old... image and 2 dogs (my sisters and my mums). Makes me realise why I dont want kids image

Then off to a friends for dinner later I think.

lovely pic BM!image

sheesh, you need nerves of steel to commute on the bike, also IMHO you need to defend your space quite aggresively if necessary. I did read some research that suggests that this is why more women get knocked off their bikes than men. Not trying to put you off or anything...image

Ian - wish you hadn't mentioned jelly beans, I've been doing quite well in not eating sweets for oh several days now image

Anyway, nice run of my old Kelvingrove Park run today, first time I've done it in full since Jan. Great feeling.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

HI- the weather drove me back to my old tready- long run habits today- well, that and the fact that I was feeling a little dodgy, and didn't want to risk having a problem at the other end of a long run. Anyway- zoned out while watching GP qualifying for 16km of slow running, so geting ready to start my Loch Ness campaign.

I notice that my HR at the end of the helensbugh 10k was 180- so I now need to recalulate all my HR training zones for the traning plan- looks like it will mean running a bit faster than I thought! - my attempt at a max HR test was obviously just not good enough- as my max on that looked like 172!- I certainly DID feel near to death at the end of Helensburgh, so I guess it's a prertty genuine meaurement ( my monitor hit 185 at the start, but I don't buy that as real- it always takes a little while for the measurements to settle- 'spose you have to get up a certain amount of sweat!)

That puppy looks seriously cute- I'm not really a dog fan, but it's because of the undisciplined  ones that jump at you, with owners who don't see that that can be scary, if I know a dog is properly trained, I am actually quite fond of them.

Will you be allowed to go running with it when it's a bit older?

Hope it stops raining/ blowing QUITE so hard for edinburgh runners tomorrow- the slower guys will get a bit chilly along that sea front if it's like this.

• I've got my sou'wester packed already, Tricia.

Lovely pic, BM.  Ridiculously cute.

• err... so if the wind is behind you for the first bit and against you for the last bit - is the smart move to run a bit faster while you've got the wind with you or conserve energy for running into the wind at the end?

I suspect I know the answer.

• aaaww love the pup!image

Cape Wrathers seem to have survived image Seen a couple of post marathon pics on FB.

So, I think I deserve a medal for today: 18 miles, 2hrs 50mins: treadmill imageimageimage Sweated buckets, needed loads of determination to keep going, and I ended up feeling sick. I had done weights and a 12 mile cycle yesterday afternoon. I might have to skip the M74 charity run tomorrow image

• Good luck to everyone doing edinburgh tomorrow image