Scottish Runners

Comments

• freefall bunny.

18 miles on a treadmill thats good going. I hate treadmill running

• Hope the weather is better tomorrow - especially in Edinburgh.
    Planned to walk up Lochnagar today. Didn't get to the top, as weather atrocious. Good walk though.
  • Pup loves to run, well in back garden anyway. Not allowed any further at moment.

All the best to those racing over this weekend.

• Weathers crap and I'm stuffed with the cold !!!!!!!!!!!! Goonna give tomorrow a go but its not going to be pretty. Hope every one else esp IanJames is in better fettle than me tonight. Still all be over this tome tomorrow.

BM your dog is lovely. Wish my life style was such I could have one but not fair on a dog to live in a wee flat in central Edinburgh.
  • Really doesn't look scorchio, does it?  I hope those at Cape Wrath fared well.

I am officially rubbish at carb loading.  Who would have thought stuffing your face would be so difficult?

FFB - that's some serious treadmill running!

Gillian - well, apart from some inflamed tonsils (always before a marathon, why?) I'm not so bad.  Some nerves, but not ridiculous.  Resisting the urge to unpack everything and check its right.  I hope you're feeling better tomorrow.  And good luck sleeping tonight!

Maybe I'll just check over everything one last time...

• good luck to all runners today.

Ive had hardly any sleep as my neighbours had a party till 1am, then a house alarm went off at 3 am for 3 hrs - its now making a horrible buzzing noise so just had to get up.  May pop thru to edinburgh to support my training partner - staring to get sunny in Glasgow.

• Gillian; Pup is cracking, but already our routine has been changed. Agreed not ideal for flat in central Edinburgh !
  • Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Hope Gillian only has a nose cold, take care ...image

Good luck IanJ and others.

Kirsty, good job you weren't running today then eh?image

I'm having a rest day today before grinding my ITB on the xtrainer tomorrow image Oh and to get my running stuff to actually dry out...image

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

OH dear - looks a bit dreich for the Edinburgh guys- hope it's slightly less wet through there.

Look forwards to the race reports.

• hmmm I posted earlier and it seems to have disappeared!! imageimage

belated good luck to all Edinburgh image hope the weather is ok!
    Survived baby/dog sitting last night. Back to just my mums wee dog now til tomorrow.

Kirsty, hope you sleep ok tonight image

Hope everyone is well.

• Glad to be back running again. 3 weeks off was difficult, had to stop eating haribo tangfastics and cut out the hula hoops too.image

Good to read back the pages and learn what others have been up to. Trust the training plan is working for you Joe (even through the frustrations) and I'm especially looking forward to Ian's report on Edinburgh later on...

I can confirm that TC did run right by me with no bother on Thursday night. I managed to hang on to her heels between 7 and 9k, but after that mark I was going backwards and had nothing left in my legs. Really annoying when you tell your body to do something and it doesn't even acknowledge the instruction - never mind complain. Finished with enough in my lungs to go round again, but could hardly move my tired limbs to the water and medals. Mars bar was a very welcome treat and was gone in 3 bites.

Did a 3-mile recovery yesterday and feel the benefit now, although quads still heavy. Compression shorts are however, a great success and there's no pain, just tension. Hoping to run a bit quicker on Thursday, but save enough for the MoK half next week. Foot feels 90% there, but taking no risks...yet.
  • elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

First Cape Wrather home - 5 min ago!

Cute pup!

While awaiting Edinburgh news have to say CW was interesting and TP is tough for doing the whole week.

Unsurprisingly course changed as not safe to run the Capeside route so a 13 mile out and back heading directly into the wind and rain starting 8am yesterday morning. Still chucking it down outside when we set off clad in long legs, and waterproofs which was a wise decision. Did a bit of discreet using of bigger runners as windbreaks for first few mies before braving the elements on my own. Quite a climb from 8-11 miles with views of all the Northern hills, well what could see in the clouds. Then down the other side to turn and run back up again but this time with a bit of wind assistance. A lot easier going on the way back until the inevitable tired legs set in about 22 miles along with blisters from the wet feet but kept going OK. Actually quite enjoyed most of it and in in a reasonable time of 4hrs 9 min so I was pretty happy.

Chatted to TP before the start but she slipped away unseen at the end - probably to dry out!

Nice night at the ceiledh last night with an enormour buffet as usual.image

Not enough sleep is the only complaint from the weekend and a lot of pre race nerves the night before!image

• Managed to fit in my run between showers this morning. Quite windy.
  • Second Cape Wrather reporting in image. Home at 4pm and unpacked, copious amounts of rank wet running clothes already in washing machine, running shoes still drying out imageimage.

Had a really good holiday break in Durness with some mental running, which can only be described as wonderfully invigorating / fecking horrific, depending on your mind set on the day imageimage.

Good to see Elspeth yesterday and some of the usual faces through the week, as well as getting to know a couple of new folk up by themselves image. Really strange not to see you there FFB image. Distinct lack of Scottish runners, 2 from Perth RR, one from Lothian, and a nice woman from JS Edinburgh / Fife area there for whole week. Find it odd more Scottish clubs dont get involved to be honest, its almost all English clubs that take part, nowt wrong with that, just find it strange.

Had quick read back, Well done Tri chick on your 1hr 47 Half image, Happy New Bike Sheesh, and OMG Birkmyre, that is the cutest puppy image.

Hope Edinburgh people got on okay today.

Will do proper report once had a sleep, brain a bit doolally still image.

• Great admiration for you Elspeth and TP for surviving Cape Wrath. Hope the weather hasn't been too awful for the Edinburgh marathoners. I've heard the half marathon was a nightmare. Golf wasn't good. Too windy, and nasty rain showers. Hubby said the atsmorphere in Edinburgh was amazing before the race started, and wished he was doing it. Maybe next year.
  • I really missed being there too TP image But apart from mum duties during exams we had family who are over from NZ drop in for a couple of days.

Well done to both you and Elspeth. Sarah-Louise was posting on FB during the week and it seems like it has been an epic one.

• elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

I think TP will have some tales to tell from the week. Including fishing small children out of the water in the beach raceimage.

No word from our Edinburgh folk yetimage - think I might have to get some sleep before work tomorrow image, no stamina these days!

• My goodness. I was looking at the photos on the website and it looked like the cut it fine with the tidea again this year , a bit like in 2009.

I meant to say, TP, there are quite a few scots at CW, just not club members.

• Just back from the day supporting RB at Edinburgh.  managed to fit my long run in with supporting him.  Horrrible weather, horrible wind and rain, but also some lovely bright sunshine too.  I'll let him tell you his time.

Organisation of the event was a shambles though!

• Hi,

Home, slightly drunk, tired.  Just fell asleep on the phone to my parents telling them about it, then did a rather garbled "I'll phone you tomorrow" - hope they aren't offended!

I'm happy with my time of 4:23, although I thought I was going to get something faster (possibly sub 4:20) until the wind hit from about 21 miles!  

A proper report tomorrow - I got to meet Gillian!

Nice to see you're both back from the frozen North.  I look forward to some in-depth reports!

• well done all CW/Edinburgh runners-proper post in the am, bed beckons!! what a weekend image
  • And I got to meet IanJames from mile 8 to mile 10. Which was lovely. Managed it in 5.03 which was a personnal worst  but I've got a sniffle so I was  quite happy with it. Wind was tedious heading back but support was awsome. Now considering the Elgin Marathon since I'm not to knackered after this one. Cape Wrath sounds amazing. what an achievment. Must look at it for next year.
  • Well done to all the race survivors. The Glasgow parkrun yesterday caught the best of the weekend's weather so I enjoyed my little bit of racing. Not so lucky with the afternoon's run and barbeque in Milgavie... not stop rain reminding me why I left the West of Scotland.

TP - Maybe the northern clubs leave the field to the English as we know how rough the weather is likely to be?!  That said Durness is one of my favourite bits of the country.

IJ - You kept your pacing pretty good, my friend (a very experienced runner) said she went through 20 miles feeling good at 4.20 pace then fell apart in the last 6 miles of wind to scape in under 5 hours.

birkmyre - cute pup!

• Morning

No run as calves and hamstrings are very tight this morningimage. Just stretched for 20mins with some sit ups and pressups thrown in.

Thanks for liking the pup.image He is happily snoring away and I'm being extra quiet at momentimage

Will read reports properly soon. Well done to all concerned.

• morning image Monday again imageimage

doggie walking/running this morning  instead of "proper" run image

well done Gillian.

hope the legs settle for tomorrow BM.

have a good day all.

• did anyone do that M74 run/cycle yesterday by the way? I know 1 guy who did the 14km run, said it was very very windy and difficult. I totally forgot about it. Ah well. Think I needed a weekend off. image
  • Well done to everyone completing the Edinburgh course yesterday - At around mile 19 i was thinking "who the bloody hell decided it was a good idea to design a course that has you running into a headwind for the last 7 miles?!" Although, I'd had a similar thought about the (granted) small hill at mile 18... A tight achilles tendon started pulling at 6 miles and got less manageable after 14, so suffice to say I wasn't really enjoying myself dropping the pace off and having everyone and their pup surge past at the end. Ended up going over my target of a sub 3:30 time by 97 seconds. image

Did anyone find the finish area a bit questionable?  Having recently completed the Edinburgh half, I thought the setup in Mussellburgh was good, so not sure why they opted to change over to a nearby park, then stick the bus service a mile and a bit down the road?

• well done EMFers! weather was horrendous all weekend.was thinking about EMF runners and a woman at work who was doing the M74 run in that wind. glad I took the weekend off.

getting married on 4th June and beginning to worry it'll be blowing a gale and volcanic ash will hamper le honeymoon. it's supposed to be summer time for goodness sakes! get it sorted! heard rumours of a heatwave but no such luck yet.

• Hail Hail

2.51.06 at Edinburgh - half way in 79.50, 2nd half in 91.16.  Really does tell the story of how bad the wind was from about 17M.

Various organisational shambles.  Its not actually a hard thing to get right, but it was done with penny pinching in mind.

Thanks to Kirsty for the support and lift home. 

Well done everybody else.

• Quite glad  I passed on the M74 run. I failed to stretch properly after my LSR on Saturday (due to lying around feeling nauseous), plus mega bad chaffing, so not in good shape to do it and opted for a rest day.

Seen quite a few grumbles re the shambles at the finish of Edinburgh. It seems to have been an event dogged by bad organisation from the start. When I did it back in 2004 there were problems with water and energy drinks running out (which seems to be perennial)