Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Turning point at 13.1m, a man standing in the middle of the road, in the middle of nowhere! Round him and back down. Suddenly its like a different day, the rain has stopped, the wind is behind. I am flying. I open my jacket. Down the hill, its really hard to get my legs moving fast after plodding, 14m, 15m, 16m, I'm coasting with no effort. The terrain flattens back out, its a gentle down to 19m. I try to relax, coast, let the legs just cruise, it is effortless after the climb.

At 20m it is fairly flat, sun is out, jacket off, back on the flat along the Kyles, looking amazing in the rainy bright light, sea a deep blue, sand bars showing through, orange sands, browns, just incredible. I overtake 2 men who passed me on the way up and then catch up with Gerrard from Cotswold AC. His garmin has lost the plot, so he asks me for pacing and distance. We are doing 9.25min miles, and approaching the hill at 22m. We overtake another runner together. The last 4.2m will be familiar to us both as we had a similar egging each other on at this point 2 years ago. I push and push, feeling really good, G's knees give out and he has to walk one of the hills.

Into the village, I see two more runners ahead, these are my next aim, c'mon I shout at myself. Desparate for some water, I grab a quick drink at the table at 24m, nearly there. I dash round the corner, the two I'm after are in front, I pass the guy but cannot catch the girl. We are up the last hill, I see the cairn opposite the Hall, YES, last little bit, done it....and the sun is still out imageimage.

Gerrard comes in about 90secs behind me, we both go in the hall to see how everyone else has done imageimage.

• Options

My garmin packed in and flat lined just as I got into the Hall at the finish, but basically the times went:

13.1m out in 2hr 55mins imageimage

13.1m back in 1hr 55mins imageimage

Total 4hrs 50mins. Would love to know the altitude climb but garmin has lost the plot.

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Wow TP - I really enjoyed that report! It was like running it all over again without the discomfort!imageimageimage

When I said we don't run in winds like that I meant we choose a route where we don't run into it for 13.1 miles. imageimage

You must have been really flying on the way backimage, my garmin broke so I don't have paces but my last few miles felt much slower, esp as had blisters on the soles of my feet- due to the soaking they got on the way out. Ouch! Though I was able to walk better than the 2 folk we gave a lift back to the Spar to. afterwards......they looked in extreme pain.

I think you should forward your race reports to Ronnie and Co for use on their website, really brilliant!

• Options
    Thanks Elspeth image. Dunno about sending it to Ronnie - I might have to edit a few bits first imageimage.
  • Options

TP fantastic post I felt like I was there.
    Rest day today. Was up half the night reading the event reviews  on the Edinburgh Marathothon. Dear dear dear. GSI has so much work to do if thiis event is going to survive. Cause I was slow I finished in reasonable shape and was ok about going on a guided tour of Musselburgh prior to being able to sit down but some people seem to have had the most awful experience. Not good.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Gillian- I agree- the Edinburgh organisers need to get them selves sorted, although the chances of enough people being put off for them to take any notice are slim, unless they actually care about the runner, rather than the profit!

There's a 10k in london that is consistently complained about ,but the innocent punter, just looking at the website, and deciding to enter, has no way of knowing if a race is usually a shambles.

I have to say, in defence of the Edinburgh organisers, that they have listened to runners feedback in the past- for example the compaints about the funny route near the turn- around, were responded to, the year I did it, and you have to wonder whether the changes at the finishing area were a mis-guided attempt to solve the complaints about the "springy" surface they previously used to cover the ground at the race track- it's just that the solution seems worse than the problem!

I won't be doing Edinburgh again until I hear better feed back, though.

Wonder what the weather's going to be like for this week's Polaroid race........

• Options
    Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    ewan w wrote (see)

well done Tri and Tricia.

Helensburgh last night. felt really strong first half and hit 5k at bang on 20 mins and about 30 seconds later, got the most hideous stomach cramp on right side. had to stop and walk for a good min and a half, got back into it slowly and got rhythm back, didn't experience any recurrance of cramp and recovered reasonably well to cross in 42.10. 2nd best time for the distance so far. given the wind, which was annoying and the delay, I'm not too bothered.

a little miffed about the cramp related delay but maybe I was just running too hard in the 1st spilt. the weird thing though, was my breathing was very easy, leg/back muscles felt fine and generally feel excellent right now so the cramps are a mystery. I quit smoking properly 1 month ago so was hoping for a miraculous improvement but wasn't to be. Clydebank next week though!

good luck to anyone at EMF this weekend.

Ewan I had to comment on this as the two times I have done Helensburgh before last week, the same thing happened to me. Just as the course turned at the furthest awat point, after the downhill. I've spoken to fellow runners and come to the conclusion that it was the combination of running at my limit and then hitting a sharp downhill that did it.

Anyway, I took heed this year and ran with a negative second split, no cramp and a much faster time.

• Options
    Total admiration for you TP and your reports are brilliant. You should write a book! Very entertaining and so detailed, like Gillian, I could picture the scene. Well done Elspeth too. The whole week sounds far too tough for me.
  • Options

Gillian and Tricia - I agree - I dont like to be down on races, with all the organisation involved etc - but after all I've read over the years about Edinburgh marathon, I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole. Plus its expensive, and IMO profit motivated at the expense of the runner.

If a small community council in Durness can organise a weeks running including a marathon for £55 (okay they dont have the road closures to contend with, but they do have to pay bus drivers, ferry operators, supply goody bags, medals etc), and Edinburgh mara cost you £45 for one race??? I'll say no more...........

Other than - nothing wrong with making a profit - and I'm sure if Durness werent getting money in they wouldnt continue doing it - its just theres making a profit, then theres pure greed.

• Options
    Thanks Sheesh - maybe when I retire image. You could do it, lots of training and determination - time and plodding, thats all its about image.
  • Options
    Tigerspaw so agree. I hate dissing races. One of my mates was a race director for Lasswade so I know how much work goes into organising one. Its my local marathon. I want to love it like my first born .............but GSI are just taking the p888 full stop. They're not even willing volunteers. They are salaried staff far as I know.
    I do wonder if it will happen next year. There's an awful lot of angry runners out there.
    Maybe we can all join you next year instead Tigerspaw. You lead we follow image
  • Options

Thats it settled then - forum meet at next years cape wrath image

treadmill defeated me again. poxy 8km. don't know weather its that the gym is too hot (which it is) or its just in the head but will keep on trying.

stuck in hotel room waiting for room service (burger and beer!) to be delivered image

• Options

Oh no - the responsibility image!

You have nailed it on the head Gillian - there are so few marathons in Scotland, none of us want to slag them off. But there comes a point when we have to give our honest opinions.

I would love there to be a marathon in Glasgow, but part of me also dreads what a hash GCC would make of it image.......ie, in terms of over-selling it, over-pricing it, messing up the water tables, and choosing a sh!t route image. But I would probably still do it, thats the thing image.

As I said before, come to Cape Wrath instead image.

• Options

I think the bigger marathons must be very hard to put on, and must admit that even Loch Ness can be a bit busy for me but the organisers do a good job. I much prefer the smaller events. I think though at some of the bigger venues there is an expectation that lots of "frills" have to be provided - energy drinks, gels, t shirts etc - quite liked the Cape Wrath idea that if you want a t shirt you pay for one but otherwise the entry is a bit cheaper. Though I have to admit that I did a deal with Frances for one as they'd run out of smalls when I arrived.

Perhaps though there are different types of runners doing the big races (gross generalisation I know) who wouldn't be happy without crowds lining the streets etc and would complain if they were at Cape Wrath - I don't know. Or maybe Edinburgh just is a rubbish race!

• Options

Hail Hail

Virgil - nice to see you posting again.  Saw your time at Helensburgh, very nice.  MJs lunchtimes obviously helpingimage

Longbow - happy to advise, but given the lovely weather that down south is getting (and we arent!).whats stopping you running outside?  If it s a fear of getting lost, either go straight out and turn back, or look for a local club to where you're staying and ask to join them for a run.

TP - superb life story that.  Really feel as though I missed out.

• Options
    Tigerspaw - thanks for the race reports
    Longbow - I think 8km on a treadmill isn't bad - I never do as much as I plan to on the treadmill cos it's so boring.
    Still quite windy, but at least no low-flying trees like yesterday. Managed a short run this evening.
  • Options

Elspeth - I think you are right about CW not being for everyones taste - there are lots of stretches running alone, and no crowd support at all on the marathon route. I like that though, the crowd noise and congestion of say London would do my head in, but the loneliness and remoteness up there is not for everyone. The difference though, is when you do see another runner, you all talk to each other image.

RB, thanks, you would love it I'm sure. There are plenty of fast guys at the front for some good competition for someone of your ability, its not just all slow plodders like me who go there image.

• Options

wow TP what a fantastic read!! image Im definitely keen on experiencing (at least some of) next year!! Forum meet up it is image

gym tonight after missing out last night ( due to it taking 2hrs to get home) and actually feel much better. have had a few days rest over the weekend and I think I actually needed it as Im actually feeling rested now and felt energetic at the gym tonight. Cycle to and from work was ok too, didnt get blown away imageimage although my route to work is blocked by a huge fallen tree!! image (I did manage to go round it by going onto the footie pitch image)

Know what you all mean about the smaller races. I quite like them too - and especially with the cheaper prices!!

My recent experience was the Monklands Half. £12 entry (£15 on the day) - 13.1 mile race, about 150 or so runners (there was also a 5k fun run,  not sure how many running there!). Goody bag: medal, tshirt, water, banana, energy sweet, lip balm, packet of wipes and kit bag. Free massage.

versus

Womens 10k. cheapest entry (early bird, online and in conjunction with GSR) £20, latest entry price £26. 10k race, 11000 or so runners. Goody bag: medal, tshirt, water, banana, pen and bunch of leaflets. Massive queue for massage.

Know which 1 I prefer image

bedtime beckons soon, only 5hrs again last night, need a good 7 tonight. image

• Options

RB, you are spot on. i think that'll be what i'm doing in the future. not knowing the area is the main reason for the treadmill exploits but its a rubbish excuse really.

shows the power of the race reviews when everyone is saying they would avoid edinburgh because of the feedback and on the other hand we're all signed up for cape wrath next year on the feedback from TP and Elspeth. 

• Options
    TP - great marathon report and overall a great challenege report. You should definitely think about tweaking it and sending it over to Ronnie & co. This was Ronnies last challenge, so it will be all change over the winter and for next year
  • Options

TP - guess I'll echo what everyone else has said.  I do like reading your reports.  I'll attempt an Edinburgh one tomorrow.  The last two nights I've just been too sleepy - come home, gone to bed!

Gillian - read your Edinburgh feedback on here.  I went into a bit of a rant on mine, but as Tricia said I don't expect they'll take any notice.  If you can hype enough, people turn up.  

I must admit I'm tempted by this talk of Cape Wrath.  Part of me has been reading your reports thinking "thank God I wasn't doing that" - part of me is thinking "hmmm... sounds interesting".  

• Options

IanJames saw your report on the event reviews. Dear god it was chaos for some folk. GSI keeping their heads down and hoping it will all blow over. Can't believe I'm the only person annoyed that the cider had gone off by the time I got back image

longbow 8km on a treddie is awsome to me. loath the things so well done you.

• Options

morning.

oh dear Edinburgh not getting good publicity on here image Personally Ive never fancied it as a race. Too busy and an out and back, flat Marathon...ie Kenyans on the way back before you're even half way there!! image And after hearing the feedback here, I has confirmed that I dont think Edinburgh will be on my to-do list at any stage soon!!

have a good day all, this should be my rest day but considering a wee run later as I was inadvertently "resting" on Monday. image

• Options

Morning Tri

Having to be extra quiet when goimg out now. Not a bad morning weather wise today.

Legs heavy as did Fartlek session.

• Options
    lol BM, wouldnt want to disturb a no doubt very excitable pup from its slumber at that time of the morning image
  • Options

Afternoon all

Cheers for the report comments everyone image.

FFB - I was wondering what would be happening with next years event, as nothing was said. Frances has made sterling efforts over the last couple of years, so maybe she will take over from Ronnie? Its a lot of work for someone with a full time job like hers though. They are talking about starting a Durness Running Club and were asking how many people would be interested in joining.....thats a long way to go for a training night imageimage.

6 mile slow plod today, legs okay, avoiding stormy devastation in Pollok Park image!

• Options
    remohremoh ✭✭✭

hello all only got number for Edinburgh marathon at last minute so time didnt matter. the start was fine the marathon went alright but it was afterwards it was chaos how nobody got injured or crushed was a miracle.

on a positive note and there is not many but with the WHW just over three weeks away i wanted a 4hr run (4.09) 4.14 last year and had great running company as well

happy running everyone image 

• Options
    Good time remoh and good luck with the WHW. image
  • Options
    Like Elspeth and tri chick, I prefer the smaller events - though I haven't done as many events as the rest of you. Loch Leven was quite small and very friendly.