Scottish Runners

Comments

• Hey TP, you could always have Durness as your 2nd claim. They might be able to pick up a reasonable income from country members that way - especially if they had a cool vest. image

Clydebank tomorrow night for me, hope it stays dry. Feel like I've a good time in my legs now, but don't want to wreck them form MoK on Sunday. Any excuse...
  • Away to London tomorrow for a few days. Happy runs allimage
  • It is an interesting debate between small and big races. I don't run many marathons so there had better be a good reason for each one and I loved London, New York and Boston for the atmosphere. But equally my first in Wanganui, New Zealand with 70 people was great too, and one of my favourite running experiences was a night leg in a relay where all I had for company was the distant bobbing tail lights of one or two other competitors and a few luminous route markers.

In crazier moments I am tempted by ultra running simply because some of the routes would have a lot of meaning for me (WHW which I last walked as a teenager in '82 and '84 or the Glasgow - Edinburgh Double Marathon because I grew up near the F and C Canal), adding another dimension to the experience.

Nice weather for running tonight, makes a change!

• Right then, Edinburgh...

Wow - it already seems like bloody ages ago - was I really stumbling into that wind at 24 miles thinking "why why WHY?  Not again for a LONG LONG TIME" just three days ago?  Apparently so.  Well, a long time is a flexible concept, isn't it?  

Anyway...

Getting there was very exciting - a train full of runners, even if none of them were all that chatty.  It reminded me of travelling to the Great North Run, without the part where people spoke to each other.  The train pulled up (my first "proper" view of Edinburgh.  Wow!), and I could see lots of nervous or excited looking types in running gear heading up towards the Big Impressive Looking Monuments on the hill.  Following them, in the absence of any signs, seemed like a smart move.  

Went to the toilet.  Went to the toilet again.  Went and tried to find a quiet place to do the Bodyglide and Vaseline thing.  Except I'd put the Bodyglide in my bag, on the truck, so it was heel cream on the nips and the inner leg, but that seems to work, thankfully.  I am now at the stage where standing in a public place, with my hands down my running shorts, rubbing vaseline between my butt cheeks (chafed butt - if you've ever had one you'll understand) doesn't embarrass me all that much.  I still got odd looks, but decided they were jealous.  I'm not sure what of.  My self-butt-rubbing-ways, pehaps.  Ignored the people shouting "get to your pen, get to your PEN.  GET TO YOUR PEN!!!".  Fucking Daleks.  I decided it would be wiser not to call anyone a fucking Dalek at this point, popped the immodium, found the other half, hugged, muttered incomprehensibly and got to my pen.  The gold pen.  How it shone, in the glinting rays of the Scottish - 

Err...should I just talk about the run?  Maybe so.

Got about a hundred yards closer to the start and went to the toilet again.  Re-joined as the purple pen were heading across the line.  Felt my shoe needed doing up - left the course briefly again, fannied around with that.  As I went back, a woman shouted at me, looked at me directly and waved.  I don't know if she was being encouraging, or if I actually knew her, but I spent the first mile or so wondering about that.  She looked oddly familiar, but then a lot of people do.

Great start.  Arthur's seat directly in front of you - so impressive: running down, alongside that; marvelling at the scenery; realising you have a stone in your shoe; "having the 'you can't stop, you'll lose time' versus 'and do you want a stone in your shoe for the next 4 hours?' debate.  Finally stopped at just over a mile to sort it out.  I realised I was sort of panicking.  I didn't know why, as on the surface I hadn't, and didn't, feel all that nervous.  Made myself slow down, stop snatching at my shoelaces, take shoe off, get rid of stone (not actually there) and put it back on in as measured, methodical way as I could.  Had a couple of deep breaths and realised that I had to slow down mentally if I was going to do this.  And somehow re-joined the race a hell of a lot calmer.

• I had decided: 10 minute miles for the first 20, with the possibility of speeding up after that.   So, I tried consciously to hold back, which was quite a challenge.  I'm not very good at hitting an exact figure, but the moving pace for most of this bit was about 10 minute miles.  It felt really slow, with all those people up in front.  Went past Holyrood - I expected it to be bigger, with fountains, and perhaps Alex Salmond standing out the front.  I'd decided only to look at my Garmin when we went past mile markers, and to try to listen to my body rather than obsess about pace.  That went out of the window when I realised there weren't going to be all that many mile markers, but at least I'd done nearly 3 miles when I looked. 

Can't remember all that much about this bit.  Some nice views of the sea - or did that come later?  It felt okay, I felt comfortable from about 2 miles onward, and actually started enjoying the whole thing.  

Saw Gillian at about 8 miles, I think.  Recognised the pink top and hair like in the pic.  It was really good to meet you, and your sister (I remember her as your sister, it was, wasn't it?) - we chatted for a bit and there was a real psychological boost from having seen someone you know (sort of, in an internetty way

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

) and sharing some moral support.  We ran together towards where the finish line was, but in the other direction, and then I decided I had a bit more energy in me, and could speed up.  Everyone says don't do this at 10 miles.  I told myself that, as I sped up at 10 miles.  Chatted to another guy that had been pacing himself by me ("thought you looked like you might know what you were doing" - blimey!  Appearances can be so deceptive - and anyway, I'd been pacing myself by him!), and we ran together for a mile or so - past the finish line from the non-finishing direction - to see some of the tail enders of the half marathon going across the line.  

Kind of oscillated between "you should be sensible and slow down" and "yay!  I can run faster!" for the next 5 or 6 miles.  Passed halfway, still feeling quite good.  Shouted "hurray!".  Nobody looked very impressed with that.  I'm sure halfway was over 13.1 miles, but let's not quibble. 

• I think the path continued along by the sea - at this point, the wind didn't feel all that strong - but it was behind us, so perhaps it contributed more than we all thought.  Certainly, mile 13 was by far my fastest of the race.  I think it must have been at about 14 or 15 people started coming back the other way, but I'm not altogether sure - it might have been before that.  We all cheered the first guy, and the second guy, then decided to pretend there weren't lots of people miles ahead of us after all.  

I still felt okay as we turned back round then went up into the trail path bit.  Horrible underfoot - I was very wary of stepping on loose stones, but I liked this bit.  I realised I was slightly in my own world when I found myself laughing at the chickens hovvering at the side of the course, trying to get up the nerve to run across.  They weren't doing anything particulaly amusing, but the fact that they were there was funny. On a normal day, this would not have been so highly amusing.   And, past a cottage in the woods, where a man played the "Chariots of Fire" theme tune on the trumpet.  I liked that.  Think we were getting towards 19 and I was starting to feel it, but just decided to run faster, and found that I could.

I think we started getting some indication of what was coming at about 21 miles.  The wind was gusting across the course.  Everything felt a bit more challenging.  I managed okay - just swung my arms more and was thankful for those hill sessions at Bellhouston Harriers - until about 23 and a half.  At that point, the wind was blowing right in our faces and people were slowing down to walk.  I reminded myself that I was still on course for a PB and could spare a couple of slower miles - and it was just as well, because that's what happened.  At one point, my feet actually blew out from under me!  Bored of the scenery at this point - looked at the Garmin when there weren't any mile markers, and from about 25 was just thinking "not far now...".  Finally, at about 26 they had let some supporters in - their cheering all the difference - someone from the club shouted encouragement at me, and I found not quite a sprint finish, but a decent pace to get across that line (I also think it was part of me thinking "just get this over and done with!"). 

• So relieved to stop!  I honestly hadn't felt too bad until that wind hit - but I think I only lost about 3 minutes to it, and managed a negative split - just - in the end.  In the next one - and there will be a next one - some confidence to run faster in the earlier stages would be a good thing.  And this run provided that.

I don't think I've ever wanted to cry at the end of a race before.  I desperately wanted to talk to someone, to say "well done" - to sit down, stretch, drink water.  Instead - we had what you've heard about already, and people giving out Lucozade sport.  I have now realised that too much Lucozade sport makes me want to throw up.  It felt odd - sort of lonely, amongst all those people.

Anyway, getting the medal was lovely - a very kind lady congratulated me as she put it on me.  I felt so pleased, despite not quite getting the 4.20 I wanted, and that's the bit of the marathon I'm going to try to remember, rather than all the nonsense that happened afterwards.

So - a great run, in a lot of ways.  Because of some of the other people running it, and the crowds that did manage to get through, and the stewards and their friendly support.  And despite the rest of it.  

And...whisper it...hell, yeah, I'd do it again.  But I'm not telling them that.  

• God, I didn't realise that was so long.. I'll try and be more succinct next time.
  • Excellent report IJ! Sounds like you got the pacing down pretty well, on that course in those conditions a negative split is excellent. Very easy pace in the early going is the way to go for a good time.
  • Falkirk parkrun slated to start July 16th. image
  • Morning you lot.

Decent run this morning. A steady run that got faster and turned, unexpectedly, into a tempo run. Then 'wee mini fartlek' session with Geordie in back garden to 'warm down'.

IJ: Great report, will read properly later. Give it the attention its due.

Tri: Yeah you have to be really quiet with him gong out. Do my stretching outside to warm up now.image

All the best to Clydebank 10k racers tonight.

• late posting this morning. rushing about with a million things. its definitely a precident for the day ahead - dreading it!!image Have seen the clinic list... and its not pretty at all image

good luck Ally and all other Clydebank runners. Afraid I couldnt be persuaded to run that route again!

Well done IJ, great read image

Have had an easy week this week as body needed it. Back to normal as of tonight/tomorrow.

Have a good day all image

• Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Morning all, been awake since 0430 due to bird song and summer sunrise. Great report IanJames! Glad you seem to have enjoyed yourself. Never experienced chafed butt myself but never done a marathon either so I'll add that to the list of reasons to not do oneimage

Hoping for a better run than yesterday when I got attacked by a  Yorkshire terrier in Kelvingrove Park and had to abort the lap and turn back. 

• First run since Sunday this morning, pilates class last night - feel okay for now. image

Bird song and summer sunrise sounds like a nice way to wake up.  But maybe not at 4.30.  Birdsong not a massive problem in Ibrox. 

Joe - what did the dog do?  Sounds very unpleasant.

Is the Clydebank 10K one of the polaroid ones?  What didn't you like about it, Tri?  Well, good luck with it folks.

I felt a bit bad for the "fucking dalek" comment above afterwards.  That fucking dalek had given up their Sunday so I could run that race.  Thank you, fucking dalek.  I appreciate the time you took and the effort you put in.  Although if you did feel like being less pushy next time, that would be a plus.

• Well done Ian James! good report!

Clydebank 10K tonight, weather looks awful as ever. not feeling particularly racelike right now but that may change over the course of the day.

• Great report IanJames.

Hope you're ok after your dog encounter Joe

I ran the West Lothian College 5k last night and got my time down to 23.04 and 4th female, getting closer to my PB.  Tough little course with lots of winding paths and  short, sharp inclines.  No clydebank for me as I've got parents night but will be at the other Polaroids.

Parkrun for me on Saturday too

• Morning all

Good luck for tonights 10k all those going.

Ally - I am tempted to join Durness RC if they can get it started image.

Great report IanJ image. Well done again on the race, sounds like you got your pacing spot on with the extra effort required in the wind at the end. I chuckled at your 'F***ing Dalek' - it must be hard for marshalls handling such big crowds - but your comment reminded me of last orders at a certain pub in the West End of Glasgow, where they would serve you your last pint then just as you'd sat down with it be coming round clearing up the tables image. They would literally pick up the chairs and WHAM straight down onto the table next to you, shouting 'Move outside NOW, please'.......how they never got punched image.

• In for  nosey

Joe: Oh dear re your dog encounter !

Birdsong isn't usually the song(s) associated with Ibroximage

• mega race report IJ image

Joe - yorkies are total psychos image, rats on strings image All the in-breeding to get them so small ... My grandmother used to have one. It was totally mental, viscious and I hated it. Called Twinkle, FFS Talk about inappropriate naming

• Great report Ian James.
    I've never tried pilates - imagine would be good for core strength. Is it fun?
  • evening image

IJ, just didnt like the route. Very dreary. And its a dreary enough night. Figure 1 polaroid is enough anyway.

Hope ewan and ally get on well image

Kirsty well done on 5k!! Saw your FB post, excellent resultimage Aiming to be at parkrun Saturday as well. Maybe see you there image

Well today wasnt so bad after all. Extremely busy but not in an out of control way. This is the end of my easy week. Havent done nothing but nowhere near what I normally do. Just felt body was due a rest.  Although really feel like I need a break at work at the moment in general. Think thats the problem. Feel like a tazmanian devil 24-7 at the moment. Wish there was a solution.image

Ok so its Friday tomorrow image And payday today image

• I'm thinking of park running too.  Feel like I could manage it.

Alison - Pilates isn't bad once you get the hang of it, if you find a good instructor.  I'm pretty impressed with my current one, who runs a class in Pollokshields.  The last time I tried it, with someone else, it didn't really do it for me.

Are you over Glasgow way, Alison?  I can dig out a link to her classes if that's any use.

• Thanks IanJames. I'm in Dundee. I think there's a class at the gym where I'm a member, so may try it.
  • morning image

well the sun appears to be shining in through the blinds here. good excuse to get back out there.

feeling much more rested today and the worst day of the week is behind me. image

well done to any Clydebank runners image

• Morning Tri: Was just going out when disturbed pupimage, so so keep a quiet house decided to play with him in garden ! Go out later, as got today off. Glad you're feeling better.

Seconded re Clydebank runners.

• Great report IJ. I was thinking of everyone coping with that wind, while my golf ball went in various directions. Impressive time Kirtsy for the 5K. Lovely day here today. Can't wait to run at lunch time. TFIF!!image
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Happy with yesterday's Clydebank race- I felt much more controlled in terms of pacing than at helensburgh last week- A friend from work was spectating, and said I looked pretty relaxed as I came round the end of the first loop- OK, so I nearly threw up at the last 400m, but if you don't feel like that, you haven't really tried, huh?

49:11- first time under 50 minutes for 2 years.....................phew, I had begun to think that my advanced age was catching up with me, and I would just have to content myself with getting slower!

Got chatting to  a girl in a dumbarton vest in the loos before the start, I think I might try to join them (WHY are all club nights on tues/ thurs- worst possible nights for me work- wise)- anyway, I was about 5 seconds ahead of her at the finish, too, so it would be great to join a club where other folks are at my standard.

Dumbarton next week- can I go sub 49?- it's usually the fastest course of the 4, they've changes the route of the VoL race, but it seems they've lsft in the bad , potholed road at the start- which is always part- flooded, so you have to jump over puddles- not sure exactly what they've changed, I never do well a that one.

• Well done, Tricia - and good luck with the sub 49.  Jealous of that sub-50! image

Dumbarton, you say?  Not THAT far from Glasgow, is it?  Hmmm...

• Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Another encouraging run Kirsty, sounds like the course should get you nice and ready for Pollokimage

Tricia, well done on getting back under 50min.

Good luck anyone doing a parkrun at the weekend.

FFB - yes Yorkshire terriers really are the worst of the lot, is it bred into them?? I was really scared it was going to draw blood as I'm on Warfarin and I was at the furthest point from home when it went for me. Luckily it didn't break my skin.

Bit calmer in the gym today but I'd still rather do some natural running outside. Anyway today was my 20th day of running this month which is more days than I did last May! (ok I got injured last May but that's not the point image)

• Good running Tricia image.

Well done Joe.

Tri chick - you need a holiday, not from training, from work image.

Birkmyre - more cute puppy photos please? image When you can't have a dog its nice to see them and hear doggy tails via the internet image.

Probably only manage a couple of short runs this weekend as I have my parents visiting image. As they never usually want to leave their camper van this is going to be a long boring imageimage weekend. Would rather be up at Durness running another marathon.....it feels much easier than entertaining them!!! imageimage

Have a good one everybody.