Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

TP: 'Geordie' is very funny, ok I'm biasedimage He's learned already to get up onto the couch (and take sover it)  and our stairs !

Tricia: Good runing,Thought Tues and Thurs were traditional club night !

Kirsty: Good 5k.

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Not often I get the first post of the day!

Hope all having a good weekend.

Congrats on your sub 50 Tricia, hard work!image

Interesting report Ian!image

Running over the hills this morning - dirty 30 training - tough work as it's still pretty windy though at least drier than last weekend, only one wee shower. Was exhausted after 17 miles - oops got to do 30 in 2 weeks! Nice to try some new routes though.image. Now need food and shower - which most urgent - hard to say!image

• Options

Elspeth, that sounds tough (a secret sigh of relief that I ducked out of it) - but you can do it!

Well, 4th park run and 2nd best time for me.  Still a bit short of what I feel I could do, but 24:27 is respectable, if not being amazing.  I need to think about what I do at the gym if I'm going to do the park run the next day (stay off the cross-trainer).

Kirsty, very impressed with your 23 minute-r!

Have good weekends, everyone.  

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

IJ- your park run time is nealry exactly the same as mine- the one and only time I've done it- must try again, sometime.

I braved the sun, wind, rain, locusts (OK, maybe no locusts!) to do a 10mile LSR- just as a warm up for the start of my marathon campaign next week. Didn't want to overdo it, as I have Dumbarton polaroid on thursday, and would really love to get below 49 minutes.

Hope the weather settles a bit, fairly soon- it's getting a bit tedious, and the half- collapsed trees along some of the foot paths are a bit worrying.

• Options

Evening all

Managed an early-ish (for me) run down to Pollok Park today and got in a decent 6.8m before the parents showed up. They got caught in road works on the M8 and went the wrong way, but luckily for them this meant they missed the roads being closed for Southside festival parade.....and meant I had time for a shower image.

Actually got them out for an hours walk, but only with the promise of lunch at the end of it, and we had to wait in 10mins for the rain to pass before I could prize them out the door image. Still, impressed I got them out of the house at all!!!

Want to try a slightly longer run tommorrow.......think my legs are okay....will see what happens when I get to 9-10miles image.

Elspeth, I am very impressed you are going out and doing hill runs already and in this weather image. I guess, like me between Fling and CW tho, you need to get those leggies back in action as quick as is safely possible imageimageimage.

• Options

Evening all

Didnt run yesterday due to being exhausted, have had a long week back at work with a 5k race and a parents night.  Probably shouldn't ahve done parkrun this morning as wasnt and still am not feeling great.  Managed to duck under 24 min but was hoping for a minute faster - oh well theres always another week.  Didnt see you IJ - must say hello next time - i sat with the Bella group for coffee afterwards - was nice.

Back to the marking....

• Options

No parkrun for me in the end this morning... argh, Im sick of being so far away. Its a real pain. As much as its not so difficult getting there on the train, the idea of getting up (although I usually am up but not UP!) early after 5 days of pre 5am rises is just not a nice thought. In saying that Im well ready by 8am but have to leave around 730 to get to parkrun and it just takes too long. The more I leave the east end and venture to the west end and south side the more I hate the east end. It has absolutely beggar all going on in comparison!! If only I could afford somewhere else.... My friend has just bought a flat in Croftfoot, I will have to stay at hers on a Friday when she moves in image Didnt do nothing but didnt run. Gym for spin and body pump, so not a lazy one.

Housework almost done, off to friends for dinner and either circuit training or long-ish run tomorrow. Normal coach is on holibags so its not the same so may opt for the run instead image My easy week is officially over. Nice (and necessary) as it was I need to get some miles in this week.

Oh and TP, yes I do need a break from work. image No break til August though image

Have a good one image

• Options

Tri - you sound tired!

TP - wouldn't be too impressed, I feel knackered nowimage, supposed to be going to a 50 th birthday do tonightimage. Nice to get a run in before the visitors arrived.image

• Options

((Kirsty)) and ((Tri chick)) - take care both of you, you sound exhausted.

((Elspeth)) too - not surprised you are knackered after last weekends tough marathon. I'm ready for my bed and all I've done is less than 7m and entertained the folks for 4 hours imageimage!

imageHugs all round.....must be going soft in me old age image.

• Options

Tricia - I'm thinking of entering the Dumbarton run too.  What is the wise thing to do this weekend if you're doing a 10K in the week?  Was thinking of a 10 miler - not sure if that's a good idea or not!

TP - hope the visit goes okay - good luck!

Kirsty - Would have been nice to say hi - that sounds like a good time, but its all so relative to what you're used to I suppose.  I got 24:25 in the end (if I'd pulled my finger out and scraped off another 5 seconds it would have been a PB.  Oh well!) and would have been made up with that at one point.  You were sat with Bellahouston Harriers?  So was I!  

Tri - you do sound like you need a break!  Or a nice treat to yourself, or something.  

I've been looking for that new pair of shoes I promised myself - I'm sure I saw somewhere selling cheap Waverider 13s  - don't see any point in forking out for the new model.  Can't find  them though.  Is there a good source for such things?  I'm thinking of just getting the same as the ones that I had before.  Having already splurged 40 quid on Amazon which I wasn't planning to spend!

I'm sure there are lots of spammers advertising cheap shoes on the forum if I look enough.

• Options

hey,

thanks for the words and ((()))s, yeah Ive had an easy week as I really needed a break. Barely ran all week and only went to the gym last Saturday and Tuesday this week. And my usual cycle commute. Work has been really hectic and have lots on with internal courses and stuff outwith work as well. Something had to give. Hoping to pick up this week. I am ok though image

Kirsty hope you're feeling ok. Hope you've not been overdoing things?

Wee bit of romance on the cards the last few weeks is kind of cheering me up too and finally seeing a light at the end of the financial tunnel so all in all not so bad. image

Off to bed now image and I'll probably still wake up at 6... image

• Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Morning all, rise and shine! image

Good to see people busy at the parkrun again. I had thought of coming to watch but my neighbours kept me awake until 0300!!! so I was shattered by then. Luckily they seem to have buggered off last night or else I was too tired to notice them. So nicely refreshed for my regular run in Kelvingrove Park, hopefully minus the annoying yapping dogs this time.

trichick - sounds like things could be looking up all around!image

• Options

Morniong hope Kirsty and Tri get a wee rest.

Busy day yesterday up to watch son play football at Scotstoun. Last game of season an dtehy won 4-1.Droped niece up at Milngavie.Memories of old Nigel Barge road races came back going up there for some reason.

• Options

Morning all. Lots of tired people image needing ((( ))))  Take care and get your rest. Rest is a key part of recovery and improvement. It is during rest thatt eh body re-adjusts to cope with the effort.

So, I headed out to the Carron Valley reservoir trails for a 20 miler yesterday. Misjusdged the route and actually only managed 17.25 but just as well cos I totally bonked at 15. Note to self, do not attempt and LSR on 2 croissants. It was quite a tough undulating run with wind rain hail and sun all thrown in for good measure. Obviously not up to the CW and Edinburgh horrors but enough to make it tough.

Question for all you flat coke drinkers. This was part of the problem yesterday too. It only has a tenth of the carbs that sports energy drink has. So do yuo just drink gallons of the stuff or do you supplement with sports products? My rice crispie bar has has 3g less carbs than a gel so that was neglible. I also had haribos. But I think my main prblmen was the stupid breakfast and the lack of carbs in the coke.

last question: has anyone one sports specific energy products that don't upset the stomach? This is my main reson for experimenting with other stuff. The majority of sprts drinks and gels upset my gut and give me horrendous RTs.

Ok - so not last question: anyone tried neovite colostrum to tackle RTs?

• Options
    FFB - I only use water on LSRs, don't like energy drinks much but I tend to eat a big breakfast before long runs. Just had a few sweets on yesterdays run but sometimes have a cereal bar as well - less often of late. During CW mara though I never stopped munching, had a good handful of jelly babies, couple of jaffa cakes, a mars bar and half a banana imageimage. Think I thought I was on a picnic not a race!image I think you are right, should have more breakfast but carry some food with you just in case.
  • Options

Morning all

Just in for a quick nosy before I go out for a plod.

FFB - I've had more success with keeping coke down / in imageimage than any sports drink I've ever tried. I read a 330ml can of coke contains 9 teaspoons sugar, so I guess the danger is drinking too much in one go, spiking then crashing. For me its more about the caffeine boost tho, thats what I need to keep my brain alert from 16m+ else I start to drift off image......CW mara I had peanut butter, toast, tea for brekkie, took one 250ml bottle coke, drank between miles 13-20, and a few sips of water, no gels. Never been a big drinker on runs. On Fling drank 4x 250ml coke, 4x250ml water, 2x330ml flasks tea with sugar, all well spaced out, with salted peanuts just for a change from the sugar overload.

Read organisers notes for my next mara and they are recommending we carry 2litres of water / energy drink each to supplement the 4 water tables they have on route........errrrrrrm, I don't usually need that much imageimageimage.......unless I've missed something and the Lake District has suddenly become a tropical rain forest imageimage.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

I must have been tired too!- just finishing my breakfast image. I managed yesterdays 10.5 miles on water alone up until about 8 miles, then had 2 jelly sweets- I had had 2 slices of toast for breakfast. I think I need to train myself to "run on empty" for at least the first 10k , and then only start the carb replacement for longer runs. I saw a debate some where wherer they thought it was counter productive to starttaking carbs too early in a long run/ race, as you switch off the fat metabolism.....................I don't know.

Going round to help at friends garden "open day" this afternoon- not the best weeather to show off your garden!

• Options
    Hmm. I do drink a fair bit cos if I don't it aggravates the trots too image The coke, haribos and rice crispie bars do sit better in my tum, but just don't seem to be giving the energy I need. They have been fine for the 13-15 milers but beyond that not sure. I am a firm believer that you don't need anything if out for an hour, and that water is fine up to about 1.5 hrs, after that I need soemthing. The trick though is to stat topping the energy up before you are aware that it is depleted. CAn't take nuts cos they just rip through, same with bananas. Defo need the caffiene boost too.
  • Options

I think the theory is that if you train on minimal extra carbs you can adapt to using fat for energy but I would take on extra in a race. It's a very individual thing though. One of my friends never eats on the morning of a long run and is faster than all the rest of us - I always have a good breakfast eg cereal and toast before long runs.

I don't know how much water to carry for dirty 30, none provided on the course. Thinking 1- 1.5 litres but not relishing carrying it! Seems a bit odd when they have 4 checkpoints that can't pick up water at any of them! Agree with TP that if they have 4 water tables that should be plenty or maybe a small bottle to suppliment that but 2 litresimageimage! If the weather continues as it has been up here shouldn't get too thirsty anyhowimage, sick of this cold windy weather , it's meant to be summer for goodness sake!

Err neovite colostrum - don't fancy that! Though have a story, colleagues farming freezer stocked with tubs labelled CC ( calf colostrum), visiting granny thought it was carrot and coriander soup - ughimage.

• Options

Afternoon all

IJ - I was sat at the big table with the blue 'do running' jacket on.   You're right it is all relative and I still get disappointed with  my times as I kknow what kind of condiditon i was in before I took ill.

thanks for the good wishes all, another morning of not feeling too hot but still went out and did my LSR of 12 miles (on that topic - I take nothing on my LSRs - not even water).  Was rather windy though and felt like I wasnt getting anywhere at points. Nice loop wound pollok, bella, pollok and home. My coach might tweak my schedule a little as i have been exhausted with work and marking, my problem is I don't like to give in...

Good news on the romance side Tri - is it anyone I know image

• Options

Tri chick - Whey Hey!!! image

Elspeth - I think you might pass a shop on the Dirty 30 route, at Sheil Bridge? image Might be useful for a top-up. Its annoying when you have to carry all that weight in water etc image.

I've been occasionally using those SIS Go gels, the isotonic ones, and they seem okay, but on a lsr I'll usually take one out with me for emergencys and bring it home un-used, which isnt much of a test really!! I've used one on marathon distance recently and its been okay......but its like at CW this year, I stick them in my belt 'just in case' and then bring them all back image. No way would I be able to stomach them if I followed the manufacturers 3 per hour image, thats just over-kill.

8.4m for me today....felt hard, this gusty wind is doing my nut in! imageimage Rest tommorrow I think.

• Options

don't know how you guys do it: LSRs wth nothing, not even water image

Elspeth: imageimage Its strange, my dad was brought up on a farm and the milk from the cows that had just calved that contains a ton of colustrum was highly prized and often used in baking.

3 gels an hour way overkill image

• Options
    I eat 'Sports beans' on my LSRs - they seem just like jelly beans to me - don't really know if they're any better. don't like gels - actually, the only time I took one on a run, I couldn't open it, and took it when I got home - I'm such a wimp!
  • Options

evening.

LSRs - I cannot run holding a bottle so if its over 13 miles Ill run with my camelbak but less than that I take nothing eitherimage unless its really hot.

Circuit training won out today. Really tough session but loved it. Feeling much much better today. Was a hell of an effort cycling the short journey to the gym in the wind mind you, almost took off more than once!! imageimage Was much easier coming back... wind was behind me imageimage

Anyone else doing the Greaves 10k @ Rouken Glen next week.? Im also planning on doing a wee(?) hill "race" on Wednesday night out by Old Kilpatrick.... should be interesting, never done one before, kind of looking forward to trying something different though. Will be treating it as a run rather than a race I think... hmmm hope I dont come last image

Re the romance, early days but going well. Kirsty, you may do, I'll FB you.

A bit of organising for work tomorrow, hope the wind has died down by the morning image, really cant be bothered with these high winds anymore, give me rain any day over this!!

• Options
    ooh and I made bread today.....mmmmmmm image a third of it is gone already image
  • Options

I would subscribe to the theory that running an LSR without sustenance trains you to use fat, but that may be because my physiology allows it. I will have a big carb rich breakfast a couple of hours pre run though, maybe because running is a great excuse for a big carb rich breakfast! That home made bread sounds good by the way image.

It does annoy me that there are so few drinking fountains or even accessible taps in Scotland. In New Zealand, with a not totally disimilar climate, there was always somewhere to get a drink on a long run. I can't really comment on what might help ffb, I seem to be able to stomach pretty much anything in a race in the energy food/ drink line. The main problem I find is feeling really hungry towards the end of the marathon because the stomach craves something real and substantial.

• Options

re Clydebank 10K. felt pretty shabby all day and didn't expect much. came home after 4 hours driving during work and was all stiff. read my book for a wee while and nearly fell asleep. half woke up and was late , jumped into car and got stuck in traffic en route. was quite stressed when I picked up chip. stood beside some guy who looked like a model at start and thought this is going to be a disaster.

had a tiny stomach cramp hint at 3k and thought it was going to be a re run of Helensburgh but it held off. started feeling good and in rhythym and before I knew it 7 k passed. started upping it and was looking about 30 secs off finally hitting sub 40 10k but doubted myself. got to 9 and thought fuck it! overtook model guy at 9.5 and ran just off a sprint for final 200m and crossed it 39.57. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas! didn't think it ever happen after last week but there you go. running rocks.

as a particularly nice touch, i was standing after finish and a lad I spoke to at Calderglen 10k last summer came over and had a wee chat.  nice to speak to people at these things and share some banter. went home and drank some serious red wine. and why not? dumbarton on thursday 2 days before my wedding! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

well done other Clydebank runners!

• Options

Great running ewan, I can appreciate that moment as someone who ran 40.01 for 10k and didn't get another opportunity to run the distance for over a year.

Getting married is cool too...

• Options

Morning

Lots to catch up on.

Tri: Things looking up. Re Greaves/RoukenGlen 10k The hill at start (800m or so in ) seems never ending if its the same course as they used to run

Ewan: Well done on sub 40  and all the best with your wedding.

• Options

morning.

weather looks distinctly more settled this morning image

off out in 10.

Mondays are hard.... image