Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

BM, yeah Ive done Greaves 10k the last 2 years and THAT hill does seem to go on forever image

Oh and echo BM on wedding and sub 40 10k ewan, hope all goes well image

• Options
    Morning Tri: I thought I was on an Everest expedition when I ran it the first timeimage
  • Options

Morning all

I wish it was a bank holiday every morning as it only took me 42 mins to get to work - bliss!

I'm doing Dumbarton and Greaves Sport 10k too.  Cant pass up on the race at Rouken Glen as its 3 miles from my house!

Almost finished my marking, will be done tonight!

• Options
    Morning Kirsty: You're working today ?image
  • Options
    Yip...West Lothian had last Monday off image
  • Options

Alison - I use the beans too, if I'm running over a certain distance.  Not sure how much difference they make, but having a couple every mile or so for the first few miles helps to mark them. 

Kirsty - Probably was sat near you!  I wonder how many people from this board I've seen/ walked past/ got passed by in a race - probably quite a few. 

Ewan - massive congratulations on the sub 40, and the wedding.  Presumably not in that order. image

Tri - glad to hear you're feeling better.  Sounded like a rest was needed.

So... the gel/coke/sports drinks debate.  I still don't really understand the whole sugar/ carbs/ calories thing.  I'm aware that we need carbs when we're running, obviously, but isn't sugar just immediately accessible carbs?  Which, I would imagine, gets absorbed more quickly than a more complex carbohydrate, so would work more quickly (and crash more quickly afterwards, perhaps?).  Calories are also a measure of energy, though, aren't they?  So how does that fit in?  Why would coke, with all that sugar, be less good than a sports drink - unless its about electrolytes?

The last two marathons I've been in (god, look at me, I can now talk about my "last two" marathons image) they've given us heaps of Lucozade sport.  The orange flavour stuff.  Both times I think it is the Lucozade that has made me feel quite sick.  I'm not overly keen on orange flavour stuff anyway - take a couple of bottles of the "Summer Fruits" (Summer Fruits being E1093 and aspartame, presumably) variety on a long run if I'm going to be out for a while.  If its under a couple of hours I'll only take one or try to go without.  Like you, Tri, I don't like running with a bottle - it makes your running very uneven.  Or mine, anyway.  I found some non-horrible gel with caffeine in for Edinburgh and I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not, but it did seem to make a difference.  I still prefer mini mars-bars though. 

Going to see if there are still places in Dumbarton.  If not, no biggie.  It'll help me keep procrastinating on that 10K (quite intimidated by the idea of a 10K - never done one yet!).  I hope when I do do one I don't get too hung up on the sub-50 thing.  Really close to 50, but not sure what side of it I fall.

A long slow run yesterday, though I'm trying to make them quicker and shorter for a while.  Trying for 10 miles in 90 minutes, and building up again from there to longer distances at a comparable pace.  Unfortunately, some stupid part of me decided to go up the trails in Pollok park.  Ended up just over 92.  I'm going to keep going with that until I get under 90. 

Well, hope those of us at work have a good day.  And those of you at home too.  Not jealous.  Really.  Much.

• Options
    All these questions, again.  I should probably just google "sports drinks" and see what comes up...
  • Options
    You weren't following me yesterday were you IJ in pollok park?
  • Options

Hi everyone, I live near Glasgow and have been running on and off for 8 years and i am 38years old. In that time I have lost 4.5stone, gained it all again plus extraimage and am now 4.3 stone down again, have 2.5stone still to go and then the hard part of keeping it off image. Hopefully will not go back there, not be having any more babies though so that will help( have two children aged 14 and 3).

Currently run around 30 miles a week and my most recent race was the EMF half marathon.Usually run LSR of 13.1 miles most Sundays with my running buddy and it takes us 2hrs 25mins so I was aiming for anything under 2:20 at EMF and was over the moon when finished in 2:09:31. Have only ever ran one other half marathon and that was Kinloss 6 years ago when I was a trim 10stone and my time was 2:12, so still can't quite believe I set a pb 6 years older and 2.5stone heavier. Would love to get under the 2hrs for a half but suspect my only chance of that would be the EMF half again as so downhill and flat. However planning to do the EMF marathon next year, will be my 1st image(bit scared).

Did the women's 10k a few weeks back too, hoping to do under 60mins and was bitterly disappointed to cross line in 60:12. Had to stop to tie my lace and it was unbelievably busy, wish I had been in the pen in front, will know better next year. Heartbreakingly i ran 10k in training a few days later in 59:29 so know I can do it. My fastest 10k pre baby number 2 was 57mins so my aim is to get under that. 

Want to get my speed up by as much as I can premarathon as the thought of running for over 4hrs does not fill me with excitement .Haven't done any serious or prolonged speedwork until now, have just made up my training schedule for next 14 weeks (run GSR half in 14wks and my local 10k the wk after), and have planned interval run every wk and alternating tempo run with hill run each wk, so hoping along with some more weightloss I will get my speed up significantly, fingers crossed.

On the fueling subject, I don't carry any drinks on midweek and Sat runs (5 to 10k) but wear my camelbak on LSR if not hot I usually just put in a bottle of powerade low cal stuff and if it hot I top it up with water. I have tried gels in the past but don't like them, make me feel sick and find them hard to take on the move. So I now use lucozade tablets, start taking them 45 mins into run and take one every 10mins, they are easy to carry in your hand, they melt in the mouth and i find they keep my energy levels really stable. Unlike gels which made me feel like I was on a rollercoaster. When I trained for half marathon 6 years ago I never used any gels/tablets/isotonic drinks and never felt the need, but now i just die without them and if I don't eat (usually a peanut butter and jam sandwich) fairly quickly after my run I get a stonking migraine with visual disturbances thrown in.

TT ;0)

• Options

Morning all

IanJ - re sports drinks - the original reason I started using Lucozade Sport was because that was what they were giving out free in my first mara (Loch Ness) - so I tried to get used to it.  I stuck with it a few years, until eventually deciding it was the main cause of me suffering stomach cramps and runners trots image. I read a lot of the old timer marathon runners used coca cola as an energy drink in the pre-sports drink / gel era, and co-incidentally I was about to do a long event where they gave out cola, tea and coffee at the feed stations, so thought why not? Its been great, no stomach problems, a good energy kick and good alertness thru the latter parts of the race (where I always had problems). The trick I think, is not to use it all the time in training, save it for racing, then you get the most benefit, otherwise you just become a bit of a sugar / caffeine junkie and it loses its kick (not to mention increasing the dental bills image). I mean, you need to try it a few times on a run, to see if it works for you, but after that, keep it to a minimum on all but the longest lsr's until marathon day. I have also been known to dilute it, so its half coke / half water on say a 20m lsr, then in a race, sip it at water stations so you can follow it with a good chug of water. Diluting the sugar content down seems to prevent stomach issues.

Ewan - brilliant 10k time, Well done. And good luck for your wedding image.

• Options
    Welcome to the thread TT image.
  • Options

TT: Welcome to the thread.

Kirsty: Ok,j ust thought everybody had today off .Obviously not !

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

tri chick- what's this about a hill race at Old Kilpatrick?- is it a club thing? or open to everyone.

It's the night before dumbarton 10k, so I don't think I would go anyway, but if ther are others later on, I'd be interested.

I'm starting to Loch Ness plan today- schedule says "rest"- but that seems stupid on a holiday, so I did the recvoery run instead- seems like 4 different seasons out there in the 45 minutes or so I was out for!

Welcome TT.- that reminds me, I haven't out my entry in for GSR. Must do it.

• Options

Geordie' chilling out' below.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248880_2111571468830_1231930452_2622885_3728377_n.jpg

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Ewan - big congrats on the sub 40 and the wedding!

Ianjames - i prefer mini mars bars too, I think a few will make their way into the backpack for dirty 30! Never tried coke - haven't even drunk the stuff since i was in my teens but sounds worth a try from what TP says.When I've been given lucozade in a race I can only manage a couple of mouthfuls and even then have a yukky feeling for hours afterwards though I don't actually feel sick. No more LSRs planned before the event now though but maybe try a bit out on Sat.

Had a nice run over the trails and Wideford hill this morning, weather has picked up though a few showers still, ground is pretty soggy though so i got the "dirty " bit but not the 30 - 9 miles was enough!image

Have a ncie day all those of you who are off _ it's my day off todayimageimage

• Options

Birkmyre - thats some big paws he's got there imageimage. Actually, he looks bigger already than in the photo you put up the other week image.

Elspeth - run sounds nice. I'm not running today, got work to do, might go out on the bike tommorrow if the wind stays down image....or run if its not.

I had a cocker spaniel for company on my run again yesterday, it kept looking up at me and wagging its tail, shaking with excitement, but I had to send it back eventually as its owners were disappeared into the distance behind me image. Think he wanted to be my doggie image.

• Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

ewan, that's great news, well done mate!image and plenty of summer months ahead to get faster still.

I had a great run along the canal today, longest distance/duration so far since illness and no fatigue problems.image

I think I even saw the sun earlier but I might be mistaken image

• Options

I've just entered Dumbarton - had a confirmation from Q-buster and presuming one from Polaroid will follow?

Eek.  Quite scared about this now.  Not altogether sure why - its 20 miles less than the last one!  But perhaps that is the reason - less room to correct any mistakes.

Joe - glad the run went well.  And I suspect it might have been the sun!

Kirsty - I think I was, considering I did Pollok/Bella (or, more accurately: Bella/Pollock/Bella/flop) too.  If you were there Sunday morning, and you saw a lost looking chap trying to find a way out of the park...

Tangerine - hi, good to meet you. 

BM - very cute!

Elspeth - Mars bars are so much nicer than gel.  There's that motivation factor of having something you actually want to eat!

• Options
    Hi Robert I am Scots and live in Scotlandimage I find there are lots of runs, if you are prepared to travel, what's your distance? there are some really good 1/2 marathons and 10k . If you are looking to run a 10 MILE try a visit to Ballater, which is near Balmoral castle, you will not be disappointed fantastic scenery, Inverness has a half marathon in March great run, just look around you will find they are out there.
  • Options
    Birkmyre - beautiful puppy - he is growing fast
    Ianjames - I don't like carrying a bottle either, but carry a small one on my long runs. Also, if the weather's warm, the water is too after about 20 minutes - better than no liquid but not very nice. In races I just get drinks from the water stations.
    TT - welcome, and well done on the weight loss.
    Ewan - great 10k time, and congratulations on your wedding.
  • Options

cheers for the well wishes folks! much appreciated, some good advice and chat in here re the fuelling subject.

Joe, whereabouts on the canal  are you running? love running along it but when you see neds fishing, occasionally get worried someone will say something but it's not happened yet. ran out to Bishopbriggs and back from botanic gardens along kelvin then canal via maryhill locks on a very cold and windy sunday morn a couple of months ago. hardly a soul in sight, heaven.

birkmyre, crcking wee dug!

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

IJ- not sure how it works when you enter at relatively short notice, but I got an envelope with all my race numbers in, and then you pick up your chip before the start, in the school.- I assume yours will arrive in the post before thursday- if not, I'm sure they'll give you a number at the start.

Parking is a bit iffy at dumbarton, unless you are really early- I usually park a bit away.

Worried my legs will be wrecked by thursday- big increase in mileage this week.

• Options

evening. off to bed after this.

good day today, wasn't off either though image consultants were off mind you!image

Tricia, its part of the Bog n Burn series... apparently "10k"... but off road things tend to be slightly "approximate" I've found image. You'll find this one and others all on Scottish Running Guide website. You can just enter on the night. I know its just before Dumbarton though so it may not be the best idea image

Been looking at flats today online. Hoping to move soon image

Right off to blanket bay now.

• Options

Greetings to everyone else who had to work today. Nice commute to Nairn on the bike for me with even lighter traffic than usual.

tricialitt - 4 seasons in 45 minutes is the ideal prep for Inverness, today I think we got through the cycle in about 5 minutes.

ewan - I'll have to try that run. My parents are still in Bishopbriggs and I've followed the canal many times but I've never linked in the Kelvin run. Though last time I was down at the river the floods got in the way a bit.

Another thing I love about Scotland: walked home a couple of miles from Inverness city centre a little after 11pm with no need of street lights on a perfect clear night. 

• Options

wow busy thread.

Welcome TT image

Great time ewan and congrats on wedding image

LOL TP re the spanial running companion image

Love the pic BM. The big feet are adorable. I just love the way pups grow into their feet image

So, my ambitious plan of 2 x 20 in 3 days did not work. legs were too tired today so after 6.5 miles I divertd to the gym where I did another 3 on the treadmill and 16 on the bike, so hopefully that counts as an LSR, maybe image

• Options

Morning.Cracking sunny one here.

An easy/steady run this morning. Got up to bank then realised that I'd taken wrong card wallet ! So have to walk up 10mins earlier as get monthly bus ticket today.image 'Senior Moment'image

TP:Yeah his paws are quite big. He's grown in the week and a bit we've had him. Great fun though.

Glad he's got your lots approval.At moment, I'm like a big kid thats just got his most wanted Christmas present ever.

• Options

morning.

lol FFB, yeah Id say that does as an LSR image

not running this morning as this hill race is tomorrow image

BM your pup is seriously cute image

busy day ahead image training later... back to busy roads today image

• Options

Mornig Tri: I (and he) thanks you.image

All the best with your hill race tomorrow.

Off to work now...

• Options
    Hi All, I notice from the posts here that some of you are also on FB. Happy if you want to ping me a friend request my real identity is Audrey McIntosh.
  • Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

ewan, this is my seventh year running the canal and I don't think I've ever had a problem except once when some youths were lobbing stones at each other on opposite sides and I got caught up a bit in the cross-fireimage There is a group of winos who hang out on the Maryhill section but they always get out of the way most politelyimage

Most days I join the canal opposite the big new Tescos in Maryhill Road. Sometimes I run towards Maryhill Locks or more usually out to Spiers Wharf. My interval session routes start at Maryhill Locks and run back towards the start. If I want something a bit hillier I run along the Kelvin and join at the viaduct below the locks. And when I want something really hilly I go out along Cleveden Road cos' running back up that is tough!image (as I expect you know?)

Joe