Scottish Runners

Comments

• No problem. All the best with the 10K.
  • Good luck all RFL people.

See you on that hill Trichick! I did a wee run out there yesterday but didnt know i could pick my racing pack up then so will need to pick it up today.

• Scobos wrote (see)

"I just did 3 laps of Glasgow Green, hampered slightly by workmen putting up fencing for some big event and forcing me off the grass. Otherwise a satisfactory run."

That'll be the Glasgow Race for Life (approx. 18000 entries).....hopefully preparations for this event didn't cause too much distress. Seems like a good initiative to me.

Looking forward to seeing countless ladies running for all the right reasons.

Best of luck to anyone running tomorrow.

image You can tell I'm really up on the Glasgow racing scene!! The last time this happened to me was when Radiohead were playing there (not that I have anything against them mind) so I thought maybe it was another concert.

Good luck anyone racing todayimage

• So - how did everyone's races go? 

TT - sorry to hear your Mum is going through that.

TC/ Kirsty - is Rouken Glen today as well?  Good luck.

I got a PB at the park run yesterday - 24:02.  Nearly didn't run after having 3 pints on Friday (and falling asleep - I'm so rock n roll) and being knackered from Thursday.  So, I was pleased with a PB though I secretly hoped to go under 24.

Wasn't quite so pleased with myself when I had pain up and down my sciatic nerve all day and most of the night.  Took co-codamol to sleep and it does seem much better today.  So, that was the prompt I needed to buy new running shoes!  I was told more cushioning was better if I'm experiencing that - the other pair were really past their sell by date.  Had them since the Great Scottish Run last year.  

Not running until Tuesday - assuming I feel up to it on Tuesday.  Bit of a bummer, but I don't suppose a rest will do me any harm.

• TT - hope the long run went OK after the wine.

IJ - I'd take off 1 second per pint and call it a 23.59. Plus it probably took you 3 secs to get over the start if it was the usual Glasgow stampede. 

• Afternoon all

Rouken Glen 10k = hills!

Knew it was hilly  but didnt realise it was that hilly. first 7k is uphill and my pace dropped for miles 3 and 4 to 8.37 and 8.20 respectively, but managed to pick it back up again to 7.20 and 7.10 for last 2 miles. Turned into a nice sunny day.

Nice to see Tri Chick again, I managed 48.02, not bad considering I've not had a rest day since Monday, ran a race on Thursday and this week managed 37 miles!

• Kirsty: It sure is hills.image No way is downhill as long as uphillimage Well done on your race and time.

IJ: A well done to you too.

• Well done Kirsty and Ian on your runs.

I saw lots of marshalls out this morning all up the A77, I presume that was on the route of the Rouken 10K?

13.4m run for me, nice day, getting tired near the end though, legs not quite back up to full whack yet.

• IJ- could it be piriformis that causing your sciatic pain? Might be worth trying some stretches for piriformis and apparently lying down on floor with a tennis ball under your bum and rolling around on it helps too.

I ordered new running shoes last wk too, hoping they arrive tomorrow. Although I have promised I'll not wear them til my current ones reach 500miles which should be by the end of next week ( I log my runs on sport tracks and it tallies up how many miles my trainers have done). I only got my current pair in February so if you have been running in yours since Sept and averaging around 30 miles a wk you have to have done over 1000miles in yours. A new pair of trainers and you'll fly round in under 24mins nae bother.

Fab race times everyone, I would love to be able to do any of those times.

15k run done this morning, doesn't really feel like legs have done a long run though, but it was bl**dy hilly. Have agreed with running buddy we will alternate LSR every two wks between 15km and 22km as she has bad knee and is struggling doing 22km LSR every wk.

TT ;0)

• Ianjames - well done on the PB.
    Kirsty - great time
    Tri chick - how did you do?
    Hope the Race for Life went well too.
  • Hi fellow Scottish runners, was pointed this way by Tricalitt. Just about running 5k so a beginner, (2 months) next stop 10k. I live in the west end of Glasgow and run in and around Kelvingrove Park although wouldn't mind hearing of other routes nearby.

Regards

Mark
  • morning all image just in image

course PB today/yesterday @ RG 1:50 off last year - 48:44. Only 31 seconds off distance PB - not bad for those ridiculous hills!!  And a ridiculous stitch at 8.5k didnt help, felt really sick but managed to push through image Also discovered 17th female (you were 13th Kirsty) out of 150! imageWell done Kirsty, yes you did catch up at 7k - and overtook me not to be seen til the end image Very happy with progress. Weather was perfect pretty much image

1 complaint - tshirt bottle of water and 2 leaflets - poor show!!!

Really nice afternoon after, new man came to meet me at end of race and we went for cycle over to pollok (had cycled to RG from home) then onto west end for lunch and took in some of west end festival image Then went to for dinner and a relaxing evening at his. All in all a great day (and a huge improvement on Saturday image).

Ok I have work in the morning... bed is calling, alarm will be ringing in 4-5 hours image I need to stop these late nights image

• Oh and Kirsty thanks again for bag storing and jaffa cakes imageimage
  • morning.... is it?? image

feeling a bit shaky due to lack of sleep but will be fine. quick nurse appt before work this morning at 830 so have a bit of time on my side. Hope its not too busy today but am not hopeful.

ah the joys of having to work....

• Morning Tri: Glad race went okish. Poor show indeed. 'Goodies' after race used to be really good. Gels, bananas,energy bars etc etc

Geordie unsettled due to oldest sons mad coughing earlier,so will run later.

• really happy with time BM, just the poor goody bag.... image With greaves as  a sponsor you'd think they'd chuck a few things in image

hill run definitely set for wednesday image

• Tri: Agreed re Greaves. Or Sir Chris as the guest starterimage
  • ah yes now that would be a treat image bought his autobiog the other day, will be reading once I finish my current read image
  • wow busy weekend for posting!
    well done everyone with your various training and reacing events.
    I was super impressed by the sub 50 for rouken glen 10k. That is a killer, and yes it really does add insult to injury with barely 3k of downhill after 7k uphill.

No training for me this weekend: as predicted. Although I did not over indulge on Saturday night, I was up for 27 hours and then up again after only 5 hrs sleep, so just too tired to train yesterday. Did manage some yoga and stretching though.
  • Well done Tri chick image.

Got a bit of a stiff back today image so might do a walk to the shops and see if I can loosen it off a bit, and decide on a run later.

Have a good day all.

• Hope the back loosens off TP: don't recall you ever posting with backache before imageimage
  • Thanks FFB - I've had a few sciatic / hip issues over the years, but kept it under control.....this is higher up and muscular.......think I was leaning a bit funny on my run yesterday up and down hill and the muscles have just spasmed a bit while I've been in bed. Its okay tho, I think I will go out and take a cautious plod this afternoon.
  • Well done Tri chick - you and Kirsty are seriously speedy.
    Welcome Markmm
    Planned to do about 5 miles at easy pace this evening, but shortened to 3 - runner's trots again. I'm going to try giving up my lunch time smoothy. Shame - i really like smoothies - but on the bright side, will save money.
  • Lots of PBs and good race times this weekend, well done allimage

Last couple of hilly runs for me before dirty 30 at the weekend. Still not very organised about it!

FFB - how long until your ultra now?

TP - hope the back is OK.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Hi- yes, welcome Markmm.

Hope all the niggles/ family lurgies are settling.

Just got in from running all the way home from work for the first time in ages- 11 miles. Took it nice and slow in the knowledge that I HAVE to run back in tomorrow, now ( 'cos I've left the car there!).

Felt better than I remember in the past, though, so not bad right at the start of marathon campaign, if I can do this once a week, that's 22 miles in the bag, plus a longer one at weekend and 1 or 2 shorter, sharper ones before work thursday/ friday.

Also gives me a couple of rest days later this week before final 10k of polaroid series, although I will be cr@p at this one because:

1. I always get my worst time of the whole series at this one.

2. I'm going too a BBQ at a friends on saturday afternoon...........drink may be taken.image

Nothing like the power of positive thinking, eh?

• Hey Tricia, you forgot my favourite, "I'm always quicker in the evening - not really a morning person...".
  • Morning wet again

Tri: Thought you'd like my guest starter suggestionimage

Welcome to Markmm.

Some good racing gone on recently.

• morning image

going to run later today as wont make gym tonight due to mortgage interview image so will just go out after it about 7 image

hope the pup wasnt disturbed this morning BM image

• Morning Tri: Nah not too bad ta. image All the best with your morgage interview image
  • Hi Elspeth - Clyde Stride is on 16th July image So, I need to get a 22, 26 and a 30 in over the next 3 weekends before taper.