New Shoes for FLM 2003

I know enough not to wear new running shoes for a Marathon, but was wondering what is the optimum age (mile-wise) of a running shoe for the marathon. My New Balances might well be just past their peak by the time my training is over with, so if someone has a rough idea, then I can break a new pair in enough for the big day. (can you tell it's my first time?)

Comments

• Tricky to say exactly! Shoes last around 400-500 miles on average, but you need maybe 100 miles to break them in. That isn't a definitive figure by the way!

If you're doing 40 miles a week, then even a pair that is new now will be knackered by FLM. Some people alternate two pairs of the same shoes so that as one pair wears out, they don't go to a completely un-worn in shoe. I've just bought some new shoes, and providing I like them I'm going to buy another pair probably around mid March.

I'm no expert on this, it takes quite a bit of planning! Also bear in mind there's a lot of new shoes around this time of year, so you may not be able to get an exact match for your current NBs unless they're pretty new. Wish they bought out the new models in the summer so this was less of an issue - I had problems switching from 2060s to 2070s last year and it caused me major headaches in the run up to FLM2002.

Best of luck with it.
  • I got some 1210's (over pronater as am flat footed) a couple of years back but running has been on hold for that time, so have probably run about 30 odd miles in them. Marathon training start's tomorrow (belatedly) and I guess all I need is a shoe with soimething like a rollbar that NB do. Am not tied to any brand, just went to Run and Become and they advised on that one after seeing me run in a host of others. Thanks for the advice, might pick something a little lighter fothe one i buy around mid-march though (but still with an anti-roll type function - very useful)
  • See what other people think, I'm no expert!
    Just what I'm planning on doing! The life of shoes will also depend on how heavy you are. Some people get new shoes every 300 miles.
  • Saqib, if you overpronate I can recomend saucony grid trigon, they come in 3 types depending on body weight-however ithink shoes are the most personal part of kit we but, so go to a good running shop and try on loads till you find the ones for you.

i ran about 75 miles in mine before I did the Dublin marathon and had no probs at all.

good luck and maybe see you at FLM
  • I thought the Grid Trigon were cushioning shoes for neutral non over pronators? I had been looking at some for myself as a non overpronator.

Simon