Edward Heath RIP

Comments

• Interesting how a thread about Heath has so much about Thatcher.

The sharpest thing about Thatcher was her ability to take credit. I remember the film of Maggie at a european photo-op were she barged her way through the crowd to make sure she was front centre. Sums her up for me.
  • He may have negotiated with the unions but he didnt hate them any less than Thatcher. It was his misfortune to lead the country at a time when the unions were especially powerful. Labour Prime Ministers from the 70's were equally unsuccessful. They didnt even pretend to negotiate with the unions. They just did what they were bloody well told.

Heath planted the seed for Thatcher's eventual success. She finished what he started and it was Heath's abject failure that not only opened the door for Thatcher but also defined her tactics.

The wets? One nation? Total irrelevances and Thatcher knew that.
  • TMAP: But what have the Europeans ever done for us?

:-)
  • Well as a leftie I admired the way he approached his politics, if not all of his beliefs. He was from that generation who had been through WW2 and seen the nation come together during that time. Perhaps that led to his `one nation' outlook and the consensus nature of politics in the 50s, 60s and 70.

A decent man doing the job as he saw best.

Now when Thatcher eventually pops her stilettoes....
  • McGoohanMcGoohan ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed Tony Benn's tribute to EH which, summarised, was pretty much: "Heath was a decent person, unlike Blair or that mad old bat"
  • I'm not a Thatcherite, but I can't stand all of this: "I can't wait for the mad old bag to die" stuff.

Regardless of what her policies created, I think it's distasteful.

You can't come out with comments like that and then claim the moral high ground.
  • But personally... really, I can't wait...

<sorry Biff!>
  • I thought someone might find it distasteful.

I stand by those comments. She created so much misery and division in this country, destroying communities and driving people into depression and suicide that I feel little or no humanity where she is concerned.
  • With you all the way, BR ;-)
  • Perhaps if I'd seen some of that going on, then I might feel the same, I'd like to think not though.

I'm not in any way a Thatcherite, I should emphasise.

Have you already tap-danced on alan Clark's grave (if he was buried)? You know the guy who helped sell arms to Indonesia and who didn't "fill his head much with what one group of foreigners does to another"? Or are you selective in who you select thsi treatment for?
  • BR, "She created so much misery and division in this country, destroying communities and driving people into depression and suicide".

I'm in some agreement with this. Although she also modernised some of our institutions and much of our thinking.

Remember that people voted for her, many respected her and she was the leader of a free parliamentary democracy. Wishing her dead because you are on the losing side might be a little distasteful.

(A good show for your kids, however, might be Billy Elliot where I believe there is a song wisdhing her dead...)
  • But she also did a lot of good: like helping the rich get richer :-0
  • Waapster and Bryan - the historian in me realises that she did achieve a transformation in the country and if I were writing a book about her in 60 years time I might be able to be more dispassionate. However having (like you) lived through the 80s and spent my working life in a community only just recovering from the havoc wreaked by her policies I just feel that way.
  • In answer to the question about Alan Clark, I think Dylan summed it up nicely:-)

Come you masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build the big bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it's your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    When the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion
    As young people's blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I'm young
    You might say I'm unlearned
    But there's one thing I know
    Though I'm younger than you
    Even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand o'er your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead
  • So, basically, it's "ditto" then?

Any excuse to shoe-horn a bit of Dylan in!
  • Bit of a whingeing fecker that Bob Dylan isnt he?

Why use one word when 20 will do eh?

• What, the snail from the Magic Roundabout?
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    As Frank Skinner said:
    You knew where you were with Thatcher. Unfortunately, most of the time it was without a paddle.
  • Does a long-cherished, vindictive hatred bring any good from it?
  • Werent the snail Brian?

Dylan was the rabbit
  • I think Dylan is able to conjour up vivid images with very few words. Thy listening to the songs from `John Wesley Harding'.

He never got to grips with the `I really wanna zig-a-zag yeah' school of lyricism.
  • Knew I should have Googled it...
  • Try, even.

Biff - in some cases, yes. A long cherished hate of Nazism has helped keep this continent free from major wars for the last 60 years.

It's not a trait I enjoy where Thatcher is concerned - it's just the way I feel.
  • Be honest, BR thats a rubbish song.

Sort of thing a 13-year old would write on the back of a (very large) rough book.

Doom, gloom, whinge, doom, gloom.

(carry on in a similar vein for 38 verses)
  • " I think Dylan is able to conjour up vivid images with very few words"

LOL!!

Its the way you tell 'em, BR :)
  • I think living through the Cuban Missile Crisis might make someone a little pessimistic...
  • I'm thinking of very few words now FLK. Two in fact:-)
  • Who's Edward Heath?
  • Can't agree there.

I haven't really looked into it, but I think it was more about a sense of self-presrvation. And then afterwards a sense of "never again".

Wouldn't say it was hatred.

And in any case, I think it's distorting teh discussion, which in itself was a distortion of Ted Heath's passing (were you scretly longing for it to turn in Thatcher-bashing?)

My point was that it is not healthy for individuals to nurture a hatred long-term, I think it is damaging.