First Direct - Text Messages

Received a letter from First Direct at the weekend advising me that they are going to start charging £2.50 a month to send certain text messages. They will continue to send weekly mini statements for free, but messages such as salary being credited or money starting to run will be charged for. I think is is outrageous as text messaging saves banks millions of pounds.

I've emailed them my thoughts and will see what kind of response I get, but I'm very tempted to move my accounts as a consequence. In the meantime, I'm tempted to stop using on-line banking and go back to calling them instead (costs them more that way). Also, I might ask for statements by post again and maybe ring them daily for a balance. Petty I know, but this kind of profiteering must be nipped in the bud.

Rant over.

Comments

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    How do you think text messaging saves them money?
  • It cost them about 4p to send a text and about 50p to answer a phone call. That's why these services are developed.

I've seen the figures - I work in IT development for high street Building Society.
  • Why doncha just tell 'em you don't want the texts?!!
  • I'll probably do that too.

This is a principal thing though. They've been slapped down about charging for using cash machines and are just looking other services that they can charge for. If they get away with this it's just a short tep to charing fro issuing debit cards and cheque books etc.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    My bank don't charge me for anything - only interest if I go overdrawn (with an agreed overdraft facility). I don't get text messages, but I don't need them to tell me that my salary has been paid in, I can see that online, or at a cash machine, for free.

Change banks, I suggest.
  • There's got to be a better way.
  • I ought to change to Nationwide but I don't like the idea of my employer also having my current account.
  • I always think of this letter when anybody moans about banks, you might have seen it before and I doubt if it's true, but it makes me laugh.
  • Useful info, I will also cancel my texts if they try to charge me for it.

Personally, I would like to get an 0870 numbe rand give it to my bank, solicitor, employer, doctor etc and then I can earn money for keeping THEM on hold.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Am I the only sad ******* that actually knows how much money I have in my account?
  • BDB - Are you a First Direct customer? If I read the letter correctly, the service stays free for First Direct customers.
  • RC - I am a First Direct customer. The mini statements are free but the other texts are to be charged for - I have one when I get credits above a certain amount, typically my salary, and an other for when I'm running out of money. If you're a First Directory customer, which costs £9.50 a month, it's completly free.

I gave feedback on the web site the other night and they tried to call me back. I'll be speaking to them later and will feedback what they say.

Nessie - it's not sad, I just wish I was more organised and less of a spendthrift.
  • Think I may be missing a point here. I have not, as a first direct customer, had a letter, neither has my wife.

SO the mini statements are free but anything wlse is not, for an ordinary bank account?
  • That's right Dustboy - mini statements are still free, others messages not.

My wife hasn't received a letter either. Maybe they've just written to people that have other messages set up.
  • That would figure, except I get notice of when my salary goes in by txt and no letter, I will make enquiries if I get a minute and report back here as best I can.

After all, it's the only texts I get and I can pretend I have a friend LOL.
  • Some one from First Direct has called me.

Apparently, they haven't seen a corresponding reduction in calls, hence why they want to introduce a fee. They've had quite a lot of feedback on this, so they may climb down or reduce the fee. As it is they've put the start date back a month already. Consumer power and all that.
  • Considering that they pride themselves on being just about the only bank that talks to people instead of sticking them on a machine, you would have thought that to reduce calls is reducing their biggest selling point.

In other words, are they saying they are a victim of their own successful strategy?

Glad to hear they may climb down.
  • I have not heard anything from them, and I am a First Direct customer too. I only get text alerts when I am about to go overdrawn unauthorised though.

I love the idea of an 0870 number... I am going to look into that. Make all those people who always make you wait for ages call you back and then make them wait LOL!
  • I wrote to them and received a reply this morning, I tried to cut and paste it but it doesn't work.

In essence they will be charging £2.50 per month for txt messages other than straight balances which will continue to be free.

Their comment was that as it is a value added service, they feel justified to charge for it.

They will notify those affected.

They point out that free txt messages will still be available under one of their accounts, which I believe is the current account you pay for, so that's not free.

I will be cancelling all txts other than the balance.

Hope this helps.

DB
  • I am a FD customer and receive the balance texts. Maybe I am missing a point here but surely if you get either weekly or twice weekly mini-statement texts as I do, you know within no more than a couple of days that your salary, etc. has been paid in. Most of us know which day of the month it goes in anyway. Its the mini-statements that I find valuable as a reminder whether I am getting near limit or whatever.
  • I am a FD customer and I've just cancelled my texts that told me of every transaction I made when my current account balance was under £500! I didn't ask for this service and considering I'm a spendaholic I got a text every morning that was about 4 texts long ha ha!
  • I am definitely keeping the overdarft alert ones! Even if I would have to pay for it (although they have not announced that to me yet...)

I once woke up from a text arriving at 4am in the morning. I looked at who on earth was sending me a text at that time of the morning. It was first direct, we were about to go £6000+ overdrawn on our joint account!

Something was amiss, so I called them right away. They managed to cancel all the cheques before they had gone out of our account, thus saving lots of trouble and heart ache! And all this between 4 and 4.30 am in the morning! Someone had stolen our chequebook in the post! They followed it up really well and I am a happy customer, always have been...

The only bank that listens to me and thinks with me, I always feel!
  • If you want to avoid hanging on to the 0870/0845 numbers, click here .

Alternative numbers for First Direct - I always get through straight away - and many other banks, building societies, utilities companies, etc.

As for FD text charges, I'll just stop receiving the texts.
  • So, does anyone know if I can get my own 0870 number to give to banks, solicitors, insurance, surveys, DOUBLE GLAZING SALESMEN, change your electricity companies, even listing it in the fone book etc etc.

Imagine, begging them to call you! 4p a minute in your pocket to talk to them.

Better still, get a telephone tree!

The consumer fights back.
  • I'm pretty sure anyone can set up an 0845/0870 number Dustboy. Once you've got it you can also use VOIP technology and reduce your own telephone call charges, especially on internation calls. I can recommend an excellent telecoms company if you're serious.
  • Are they not only available for business then?
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Anyone can get service on 0845/0870 as long as they are prepared to pay. Contact most communications providers and they'll be happy to talk (until they realise they won't make any money out of you).
  • This is where my limited knowledge starts to run out. There are lots of businesses which aren't limited companies - sole traders, etc. - so I would have thought they would be able to have them to, but I might be wrong. I've emailed you details of a man who can help answer that one definitively.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I just told you the answer! I know about these things. BT info here