feeling ill - to run or not to run

Heavy cold, cough, knackered and short of breath. But missed speed session yesterday so am supposed to do 4 miles today and 6 miles on Sunday (sub-5hrs schedule). Should I run?
Does the fact that I'm even thinking about runing when I'm feeling this lousy mean I'm turning into a runner or would that only happen if I'd just got up and run without thinking about it?

Comments

• You are a runner, but don't go out with heavy cold. Rest today and tomorrow and go out Sunday if you feel up to it, give your body a rest!
  • Training when ill is certainly not a good idea and in some cases it can be dangerous. From experience, i have tried to 'run through' a cold and it always prolonged the duration of the illness and the benefits gained during those runs was negligible. Missing a week or so at this stage might seem hellish but missing the race cos you've had to take more time off is a lot worse!

Also, don't be tempted to 'catch up' with missed sessions or rejoin your training plan where you think you should be - this could well lead to injury. Take it easy after illness or you could lapse back into it.
  • Hope you feel better soon! Eat loadz of garlic and gargle with Tobasco sauce in warm water according out RW latest edition!
  • Just to continue on the theme Bruce mentioned about not trying to catch up training - there is a rule of thumb/adage I read somewhere.

Its better to be on the start line 100%healthy and 90%fit, than 90%healthy and 100%fit.

Not sure if this is useful or not
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hope you get well soon, don't worry there's plenty of time for training!
  • I ran yesterday knowing my throat was sore,regret it today - knackered just putting the shopping away!! Will rest now until monday.
  • What about running through minor muscular niggle. I have a very minor discomfort in my right hip.It seems to disappear when I am running but is there for the time between runs, its been like this for 2 weeeks and not getting any worse. I have heard people say that if you dose yourself up with ibuprofen with minor strains this is not a problem. I cant say that my hip is really painful but i am aware of it going up and down stairs. I always do stretches before hand.
  • Billie,

I have had a similar prob with the top of my foot.

Went along to A&E just to ensure that there wasn't any stress fracture (which there wasn't). Doctor explained that if if doesn't hurt when I run, which it didn't, then it was my bodies way of telling me it was Ok to run?

He did however say to take ibuprofen as any niggle that I felt would make me compensate, change my running style and possibly cause a real injury due to the different running style.

Have continued to run and thankfully have had no problems. Hope this helps???
  • Have you tried taking cod liver oil capsules to avoid colds?

I've not had a cold since starting to take one daily 7 years ago.
  • Clarkie,
    great tip thanks. I feel a bit more reassured now. I have just taken 2 ibuprofen and am about to tackle 10 miles , Fingers crossed
  • Just seen this thread for the first time,I too get a niggly hip but only after running for more than an hour,didn't ever think of taking ibuprofen but will do now thanks!
    NB/I find cod liver oil capsules helpful when it comes to going up and down the stairs but you do have to take them for a month or so before you feel any benefit I think.