4 months in what should I aim for

I have been running for between 4 and 5 months. I use a heart rate monitor and try to keep between 145 - 160 bpm.
(70%)
I have been gradually increasing the time of continuous running from 5 mins to 200 mins and run at least 3 times a week, normally 3 x 4 mile runs with a longer run on Sunday 7-9 miles. This week was my longest run of 9 miles with a pace of 11.3 minute miles.

How can I improve my speed?

I am entering my first 10k in september this year and although my initial goal was going to be to complete 10k. I now know I can complete this distance so I would like to complete 10k in my fastest possible time.

My speed doesn't seem to be improving. Or maybe I'm just being impatient, so any advice would be great.

Comments

• Jason your training program seems fine to me if you are going to do a 10k in september. I would keep your longest run to around 8/9 miles and for keep 2 of your 4 miles runs as steady. For your other 4 miler you could introduce an informal bit of speedwork through fartlek. Warm up for the first mile, then speed up slightly to the next lamp post or other landmark about 100 meters ahead, return to steady speed to recover and do this between 8-10 times and then do a steady cool down mile at the end.

don't introduce speedwork and up weekly mileage in the same weeks.

Good luck.
  • Nothing much to add really, apart from I think you will find that you will naturally get faster as you continue with your running.
  • Thanks for your suggestion Jane started introducing speedwork on 1 of the 4 milers I will keep you posted with my progress