Options

Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Race Director for such an honest/helpful reply - and apologies from me to..

Just re-read my sulky e-mail from yesterday which is a wee bit harsh and v.whingy. I've also got me facts wrong in that I've done this race for the last 3 years running, not 'twice' - and have always enjoyed it !

Having already e-mailed the race sec, quite possible a form is already in the post. I'll also have another go from work tomorrow and get IT colleagues to mess about with the settings

Now where's the custard (to go with the humble pie..)
  • Options
    I'm in - for the 7th time (I think). I first did this race in 1984, and have set my two fastest times on it, so I'm looking for another good time in 2006!
  • Options
    I'm in too. This is my PB so far. Am looking forward to next year...

• Options
    I have been accepted for this and now I'm scared! It will be my first half marathon. I have entered a couple in the past and each time, have ducked out at the last minute through nerves and/or lack of training.
    Going for it this time though! I really want to be able to run the whole course wihtout walking.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about doing it again this year, last year was my first. But I'm not sure if it offers enough for the money.

My chip worked last year but b/f's didn't hence he didn't get a result. Also agree with some people's comments about the 'dull' course.

Will think about it a little more.....
  • Options
    Hilary, it's a great first half marathon, provided that you start in a place that reflects your level of training: eg 2:00 or 2:30 boards. There's lots of people of all abilities so you won't be anywhere near the back.

PS If you want a dull course I offer you Silverstone. There are no buildings, no trees, no rivers, no bagpipers, no steel band, and a major opportunity for a fleecing.
  • Options
    May I nominate Paddock Wood at this point? It starts and finishes on an Industrial Estate. There is a minor hill at about 1 mile; after that it's pancake flat, apart from a couple of railway bridges. Everything about it says it's a PB waiting to happen. Those of us who have run it a number of times reckon we're more likely to do well on the hills of Tunbridge Wells than we are at PW. No obvious reason, but if you think I'm wrong, give it a try! I did 1.45 in Bath this year, and 1.48 at Paddock Wood (2 weeks before London), in spite of training for London (where I also set a PB).
  • Options
    PW = personal worst ;-}

Do it if you want to. Can't say I've ever ran well in Bath but to be honest I prefer Bristol..... I suppose they are calender opposites but the two lap course is not the best.

Despite my moaning I'll be there again next year, hoping for a good run.

(p.s. my chip didn't work in 2004 or 2005).
  • Options
    Quite a momentous occassion for me today as I completed my entry form and had to put the big Four-O in the space for "Age on Race Day". This will be my first run as a MV40, I just hope that I can run better in Bath than I have as a thirty-something.
  • Options
    Wrinty:

I'll be joining the big Four-0 Club soon! You know what they say...!
  • Options
    I've been setting times as a veteran since the end of June, but they do say you should reset your PBs when you hit 40.

PW may be Personal Worst; I was referring to Paddock Wood. I'm pleased to say that all my main PWs date back to 1990, but I have come a bit close once or twice since then!
  • Options
    Ha!
    Wrinty - you must have had a hard paper round then, 'cos I thought you were older than me. I'm 44. Mind you I don't act like it, and can't seem to think like it.

I'm continuing to improve, especially at distance. I think that degeneration becomes measureable at 50, but I'm not even thinking that far ahead. I'm going from what my 67 year old Uncle quotes out of his training diaries.
  • Options
    I was just going to enter online - is it me or does it appear a tad expensive and only interested in getting extra dosh from you?
    £25 entry
    £15 for a tee shirt - and no mention of ladies or mens, therefore assuming an unflattering mans fit tee shirt - and also assuming that one is not included for finishing?
    Extra donations to local charities you have to remove if you dont want to pay extra, and a deduction if you're not successful in the ballot!
    This would be my first half marathon - is this the usual thing?
  • Options
    It's becoming more the norm for the 'big' marathons. A couple of years ago you had to pay for a tech tee shirt but got a cotton one for free. Last year - it was a medal.

Big events are alright every now and again but the price can be a bit galling. Normal 'club' events are just as much fun but rarely cost more than a pound-a-mile (including tee).

I wouldn't wory about turning 40 - running wise at least. All the quickest runners in our club are vets. I get phased filling out tri applications - age groups every 5 years.
  • Options
    OMDC: I agree, it is expensive. I bought the tee shirt last year (nothing special) - but won't for this one. Bristol HM is a bit more money - but you do get a 'free' tech tee shirt.

I think this is the usual thing for the bigger races. What the heck, go for it anyway!
  • Options
    OMDC: I enjoy big (read expensive) races once in a while, but the smaller ones have their own special atmospheres too.

5000 to 40,000 entrants can be £2/mile, and the economics appear to provide dubious value. I exclude my favouite: FLM, which is £1/mile and you get showered with goodies and discounts.

Up to 2000 entrants tend to be £1/mile, to pay for Plod, and some road closures etc. One would normally expect a few goodies or gongs though.

Up to 100 entrants and it can be down to 50p/mile. Provide your own safety pins though!

For me, Bath is a known quantity. It is my gauge of fitness before London.
  • Options
    OMDC - Comments noted regarding women's T-shirts - funnily enough this hasn't been mentioned before ! We are already committed for 2006 (3 month order period) but will look into this for 2007 or any re-orders.

Regrettably our current budget only stretches to either a free medal or a free cotton T-shirt for finishers. They both have the same supply cost to us c.£1.50 each vs c.£12.00 each for tech-T's (plus printing, postage etc). The concensus of opinion amongst runners changed in favour of the medal against cotton T's as tech-T's became the norm.

Despite appearances to the contrary events such as Bath still struggle to cover their costs each year in the face of steeply rising venue, road closure, medical & marshalling costs, plus increasing expectations from runners in terms of facilities, administration, datasystems, goody bags, bottled water, chip timing etc. Only a handful of races in the UK make any significant profit (eg London Marathon, Great North Run), most medium size and larger races depend on substantial local council subsidies - we receive none - 99% of BANES' events budget goes on the Music Festival & other arts events. These races are high risk ventures, hence we made a loss of 40K in 2004 !

Why do we do it ? We genuinely enjoy & believe in the value of what we do, including the knife edge balancing act of quality vs cost.

• Options
    Thanks very much to Bath Half Race Director for taking the trouble to reply. My general feeling about entry has improved.

Thanks also to everyone else for your opinions and comments.
  • Options
    I've just been to check my 2005 medal and it's top dollar. It'll last longer than most T shirts. I agree with BHRD.

PS, If I wear my luminous yellow Julian House vest again I won't be recognised, as it's a very popular colour....and I have never been run over when wearing it....
  • Options
    Blisters, what do you do with all of your medals, I have visions of you wandering around with more bling than Mr T.
  • Options
    I can't wear them all, or I would not be able to lift my neck off the floor.

Most are hung on picture frames in an untidily tidy fashion. Some are in the girls bedrooms, so that they don't feel left out. The prized ones are in my office as motivation. These represent pbs mostly.

On race day I wear my meggle with pride.
    Sometimes I've got to take a couple of spares with me so that my young supporters can wear one each!

Next time you see Shades, you should ask her: 100+ marathons.
  • Options
    Hi i am in this one so will join you
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    If they form a pack at the front who is going to complain that they are stopping us runners :-)
  • Options
    probably a welshman...
  • Options
    Is there no chance of getting on this ? It looks good :(
  • Options
    Alex - you pop up in the most unlikely places... long time no speak!

This is fantastic news! I'm in the Bath Half and now have the added incentive of beating a whole host of my rugby heroes!
  • Options
    Heck, I would have been tempted by this too, but looks as though its too late. It will have to be the Bristol Beer Festival instead - now thats not turned out too bad then.
  • Options
    If anyone has to drop out please will they get in touch? I couldn't run last year at the last minute because I ruptured my posterior cruciate ligament. It took a while to settle, but is finally healed. I missed the date: would be delighted to buy anyone's place off them, even at the last minute.
    Good luck to all runners. Have a great day!
    Ben
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    I am now officially a FLM reject, so I can now concentrate on the Bath Half as a race in it's own right rather than a fitness gauge for the London marathon.

I am actually running a marathon in just over two weeks - The Walt Disney World marathon in Florida and I must confess that I am not enjoying the long runs in the slightest, so I think that it is safe to say that it will be my last marathon. I can then go back to considering 12-14 miles as a long run.