Bath Half-Marathon

1234568»

Comments

• Interesting conversation, keep the ideas coming. We're happy to consider all constructive suggestions. T-shirt vs medal & the balance of cost is a difficult one. On our budget we don't have the luxury of both items without further increasing entry fees, and unlike Bristol which is organised by the council and subsidised (to the tune of the T-shirt cost) by not having to cover its administration/mailout/traffic management costs etc, we do not receive any financial support from local ratepayers and so have to be self-financing.

Re accuracy of new course. This was measured in the traditional (and only accepted) way by Hugh Jones, one of the top guys in the field (IAAF, UKA etc) using 'Jones counter' & certified by Midland Counties AA's. Mile marker signs are sometimes a little out, as they have to be fixed to nearest lamp post, which can be up to 20-50 metres from the measured point.
  • Sorry forgot to add. There should have been a race medal in every goody bag, if yours was missing email racesecretary@runninghigh.co.uk & we will post one out to you.

Re chip times vs gun times. The race is held under UKA rules which state that the only 'official' time is gun time. We offer the chip & 10K times as an extra. But rules are rules !!
  • I didn't get a biscuit in my goodie bag and the bag of Surf didn't taste very nice - bag of Jelly Babies next time please.
  • I must admit the idea of Jelly Babies appeals more than some washing powder, good idea Graham.
  • I agree that the Bristol HM is good value considering the medal and t-shirt, but if this is subsidised then that explains it. I am amazed that the council actually subsidise to the value of the cost of t-shirts, which must add up to a large amount.

I would personally prefer a medal, over a t-shirt. I also bought a t-shirt for the Bath this year and it is very nice.

I recommend the mugs that you can buy. They show your time, race number, etc and make a great souvenir (got one after Bristol 05). I got mine as a present and it is a good memento. I am looking forward to my new one with a faster time. All costs though of course.
  • washing powder bought BD's smelly kit up a treat;-)
  • I suppose washing running kit with jelly babies could get kinda messy.
  • well, the Mars bar was more than welcome, along with the lucozade. The medal is quite splendid, but I can't work out if it is a Georgian mansion, Roman bath, or building society branch. The latter, I think. Personally, I can do without another t-shirt .... my drawer is bulging with them already. Although I did come away with a free New Balance shirt courtsey of coming in during the 100th minute of the race [clock time .... sub 1:40 chip time :-)]

Thanks again.
  • Just an addition to wrintys post above; gps receivers like these garmins need to get information from four satellites to give you a position fix (two horizontal, one height, one to do with the timing in the receiver). If only three are available some receivers will leave out the height calculation.

When you consider that the reveiver is moving in an 'urban canyon' for much of the Bath route (buildings blocking signals) and is next to a big body of salty water (you) they do pretty well to get anything at all!!

Errors in the position calculation will easily add up to 5-10m in a best case senario for these little boxes. The wiggly route they then plot is often going to be many metres away from 'truth'. Thats why you can add up metres running just by standing still long enough ;-)

As for the race - thanks for a great day. I thought the organisation was great this year, as was the support from spectators and marshalls, even down to consoling me at the end! My vote is always for medals, especially quality ones like Bath's.

Thanks for a great race
  • Mrs wait4me actually,(passwords at the office)and the memory is going.
    RD well done to you and your team.
    I did my first Bath in 2004. As a 'first timer' I wondered what I had let myself in for.My number didn't turn up,I had to queue on the rec the day before.It absolutly P'd down before(and during the delayed start), there were no goodie bags left when I finally dragged my weary body in at a 2.22 time.Just to rub salt into the wounds I didnt get an official time as my chip failed.
    Last year was a great improvement but this year despite the fact that you can't please everyone all of the time you did a brilliant job. The loos in Laura Place were useful but could we have them on the 'sunny' side of the street please, brrrr. Two strange things, my Garmin tells me I used 232 cals in total and I appear to have changed gender in tonights Chron.
  • Well Mrs Wait4me: as Mr Wait4me felt it necessary to wear a pink vest (albeit in a very good cause) there has obviously been some confusion for the Chronicle

I am sure you used more than 232 calories as I did not eat ten times more of your magnificent supper on Sunday to make up for our different calorie usaga

What is it with laaaaaaaaaadies and loos anyway

Agree with what you say about the race director and his team's organisation.

Pity about the idiots at Green Park running backwards and forwards across the road though

I did 13.37 according to my Garmin so they cannot be relied on for anything much it seems to me
  • We've been featuring historic landmarks on the course route on the race T-shirts & medals. Last year it was the Holburne Museum (at the end of Great Pulteney Street facing you at the start), this year it was Green Park station.

The course is measured to the shortest line, 300mm from the inside kerb across both carriageways. In practice anyone overtaking back markers would have been forced to run wider on their second lap, hence possible dicrepancies in distance
  • Well, BHRD. looks like you got yourself a winner this year!

(But have you seen the suggestion that you ought to organise twice a year? Noooooooooo!!!!)
  • > (But have you seen the suggestion that
    > you ought to organise twice a year?
    > Noooooooooo!!!!)

aha but you have already run this risk by mentioning the possible 10k later in the year ;-)

I think the 10k event would be a great idea. If you plan this a week or so before Bristol half it would be a great warm up for that and should help get loads of entries in

If any non Bath people want my copy of the newspaper results... let me know and I'll post them to you. I only have one copy and they are not super exciting.... but if you want them...
  • Photos now appear to be on the web... <a href="www.marathon-photos.com">here</a>
  • BHRD - thanks for the explanation of the way the course is measured for distance, I always wondered how they did it. I had no doubt that it was accurately measured but it's interesting to note that it's measured just 300mm from the kerbs which means that in reality all runners are going to run further than that on race day. I wonder then if the corrected distance on my Forerunner of 13.24 was fairly accurate.

In my ignorance I had worked out my pacing for 13.1m which with hindsight I was always going to run further than this. I'll know now for next year (and other halfs).
  • A little off topic but I wonder how many of the complaints about our Garmins are a prelude to justifying buying the new model which of course is much more accurate etc. etc.
  • The photos are up and I'm on the front page (no, not one of the super fast chaps battleing for the line, the one in blue and sunglasses). Does that make me famous?
  • <quote>
    A little off topic but I wonder how many of the complaints about our Garmins are a prelude to justifying buying the new model which of course is much more accurate etc. etc.
    </quote>

I had the new model on. Still predicted me wrongly... same problem as everyone else mentioned. What is a hell of a lot better is that it doesn't loose the signal. I train round the streets in Bath and the tall buildings used to cause my old model to loose the sats. Have not had any problem at all with this one once I found them.
  • Yes BDB you are now officially a celebrity. Good luck in the Big Brother house.

W4M - ahh you discovered the beginnings of my clever ruse to talk myself into the 205.
  • Mrs Wait4Me here, does that mean that the new Garmins will not lose me along the canal on the beautiful Sunday spring mornings?trees seem to be a problem even when their not in leaf.
    I'm up for a pre Bristol 10k in Bath.Make a change from the hills and canal of good old BOA.
  • Hi Guys and RD,
    I was one of those 4000 who did not run because of a persistand back injury which now means that my physio is sticking needles in my back to ty and get me back for racing again in June/July. Just a few comments from a frustrated runner.
    1. Really great orginisation (again)
    2. Like the new route anything that misses running through a housing estate has gotta be good.
    3. Could not really see the point of water and energy drinks at the 12.5mile marker, most were sipped and thrown.
    4. That last mile really needs more StJohns there to catch the guys who are competely exhausted.
    5. Always prefer mmedals against Tee shirts there nice to give to the kids to wear (start them young)
    6. Bath is always special and you will never please everybody but becasue you get 10,000 enroled then it shows you are doing something right.

Oh and i heard the rumor about the 10k this will be excellent and i hope to be back for then.
    Aplogies if i have covered points already rasied.
    PS if you fancy a nice local run (with a medal) then have a look at the Kennet Kanter 10miler 2nd July in Devizes, its the 2nd year and growing!!
    Good Running
    SFG