Numpty IM Bike Thread

Comments

• in that case you wont even notice another one....
  • sezz, they're just being bullies. Can you call in a couple of early birthday presents/ christmas presents/ bike in lieu of overtime ???
  • Another couple of good £500 bikes are:

Specialized Allez - universally well reviewed - £500.

Bianchi Via Narone - £540 but in a month or two will no doubt be discounted. personally i thought the carbon fork on the bianchi was better and looks better the spec allez one.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Gosh, you must have nice birthdays/Christmas Jo.

I think the most anyone's ever spent on me at Christmas is £100. Don't suppose you can get a second hand one for that can you?

No, I shall just save my pennies very hard over the next year and aim for 2007.
  • hijack 5 people claim you'll never want another pressie and get them together? Someone mentioned a chain of bike shops in the UK, was it Evans? maybe they sell vouchers?
    Anyway it was just an idea. 2007 in NZ sounds awesome so noone could blame you for waiting and savinf for then.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    LOL Jo - love the hijack idea.

In the meantime, I shall continue to support the IM peeps and stick around the tri threads. All this serious talk seems to be rather good for my running.

:-)
  • evans do sell vouchers - sezz get everyone who buys you presents to get a voucher to count for the next 3 years. invite them to come and watch the race. speak to your favourite charidee and get them to "golden bond" the entry fee. and you're laughing.
  • candy we've tried the hard sell on Sezz and it didn't work. Let's try the sympathic nicely nicely approach and see if we can persuade her that way Failing that who wants to be bad cop to my good cop?
  • Nuther basic question.
    Cassettes seem to be available in 7 - 10 gear clusters depending on make and model. I think I understand that you cannot change from eg a 7 speed to a 10 speed without changing the gear change mechanism, but if I buy a second hand bike with a (e.g.) seven gear cassette will I still be able to get parts for it or will I be laughed at if I stick my head round the door of the LBS?
    Is everyone (ie the manufacturers) going towards a single standard or is it horses for courses?
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Each manufacturer is compatible with itself although some makes are available that are compatible with the main makes such as Shimano and Campag.

If its a 7 speed you will have to change enough of it to get to 9 speed to make it a relatively expensive job. However it is relative to the rest of the bike. ie. if you have a good frame but the groupset is rubbish, spending a couple of hundred quid on upgrading it is probably reasonable, if its a 2 tonne steel frame then spending a fiver to upgrade it probably isn't worth the effort.

The 10 speed kit seems to be top endish at the moment, or at least it is with Shimano, 105 10 speed will be available probably in around 12 months although I think its supposed to be sooner.
  • I see that some of the 2004 and 2005 bikes are heavily discounted. there are a couple of possible reasons.

A
    Do the manufacturers change the designs each wear so by this time next year we won't be able to get replacements for a 2004 bike or

B
    does the technology move at such a pace that a 2004 bike will still be out on the bike course when 2006 is standing on the podium (post marathon) or

C
    is itjust that triathletes are such a poncey lot that being seen with a 2004 bike is akin to stepping outside in miami vice pastel suits (someones gonna tell me these are back in fashion - good job I bought new sunglasses)
  • in reality - all companies tweak their designs year on year - not usually drastically but just little things, often changing componentry to make it less or more expensive; changing colours; trying new ideas............

new technology is always coming through and prices come down as ideas are taken up - just look at how cheaply you can now get a carbon frame - so it's all about getting a competitive edge over the competition.........
  • Jo,

Replace the word bike / bicycle with washing machine, DVD player and what do you get....

Well a load of bollox but the point is, what can be dramtically changed in two years about a bike that basically hasn't changed for decades?

Point B - are you good enough to notice any of tiny adjustments or the grams saved if not then why does it matter.

C - I'm more impressed when the rider goes fast rather than what they're sitting on. Indeed what's worse than someone with "All the gear and no idea"?
  • T'isn't just triathletes Jo - ou'll find that there are plenty of middle aged, USPS/Discovery team kit wearing club riders who wouldn't be seen dead in last seasons colours. The bonus is that you get some knock down kit that hasn't had too much serious mileage put through it.

The back of cycling weekly/cycling plus often have some reasonable deals (but get a bike ponce to give it the once over just in case it's a mullet)
  • thanks. There didn't seem to be much difference in the spec's for the different years and the prices were very very different. I just wanted to check in case there was something vital I was missing. Think it will be a new-old bike for me
  • i did that and save about a Grand on my race bike
  • yes some of the ones I've been looking at have that kind of knockdown. I guess if they are dwindling stocks you've got to be a bit lucky and hope they still have the size to fit you etc. I'll be back looking for a collective finger-crossing effort when I hit the shops
  • Definitely C.

My frame is about a year old, but it was the 2003 model apparently so I saved about £500 or something there.

• i think its C, but its all very strange as bikes just look like bikes as far as i can see. (except green ones of course, they look like frightening demons)
  • Q. How long are shimano likely to support their old groupsets? eg - Ultegra 9 speed has been repaced by 10 speed - I'm guessin 5 years, adn if not a third party will?
  • i can't see the point of 10 speed rather than 9. who cares?

but if they stop doing 9 speed cassettes at any point then i'll just change the mech over to 10 speed. its not a problem - bikes are consumables, and so are all the bits that go on them.
  • I agree, but just trying to work out whther to buy the newer version now.
  • Green bikes.....

arrgh I'm affraid, very affraid.

Never mention them here again!
  • I think you will find parts for Shimano and Campag kit will be around for quite a while longer than 5 years............
  • hmmm, i can't see the 9 speed vanishing for a few years yet. i got one recently and went with 9 because 10 didn't extend the range,it just gave you an extra gear in the middle somewhere. what's the point of that?
  • sezz you could pretend to get married and have TFN as the wedding list holder.
  • Actually that's a really good idea, how easy is bigamy?
  • Mon - if you go 50/50 then I'm up for it!
  • We could fake a wedding, I know a load of actors for a vicar, husband might get suspicious.
    I worked out the other day how much credit I can get hold of in total and it's getting up to "worth faking death for" proportions.