Options

Paris 2006

Comments

• Options
    Please no-one mention Birmingham or Blackburn, I think they've just messed up our chances of survival.

May be repeating myself here but I've entered Loch Ness in October - long weekend away with the family and it's great up there.

As for next year, I'll enter the London ballot just in case, but also Paris again, had such a good weekend this year.
  • Options
    IQ - I may have to join you in that quest to get as close to 4 hours as possible...

If you're lucky you may get to wallpaper my ass too.
  • Options
    Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Back from Tenerife and nicely tanned relaxed and recovering well from shingles attack.

Therefore will be up to Expo tonight to pick my number up.

As for Paris on reflection
    Loved the company and the weekend but didn't like the crowded nature of the race, so will be taking a break from marathons this year and may well head off to Rotterdam (or anywhere...) next year.

Having had time to reflect, huge huge thanks to Rach for holding all the social stuff and contributing so much to the weekend.

I understand Rach maybe out of pocket on the buffet due to people not turning up, so if you are out there and haven't contributed
    then make sure the young lady doesn't lose out after all her efforts

• Options
    Bonjour toutes!

I shall be at expo late Friday afternoon to pick up my number :) Glad to see you're feeling better Doylie.

I'm feeling quite committed to an Autumn marathon now (sorry Doylie & Guy - never one to listen to advice!), just deciding which one to go for. Must be flat.

I love the Paris marathon, done it twice now. I rather fancy Barcelona next spring, but am open to suggestions.
  • Options
    ♫ never can say goodbye... ♫

Decided on a 5K at the end of May for my next race. I have a rather shabby PB of just under 33 mins. so will be hoping to get much closer to 30 mins. or maybe even under if I work really hard.

Training starts next Tuesday with an easy 25 mins. BLISS!

:-)
  • Options
    Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    Tiger

What are you like....

I suggest Berlin. Nice place, well organised (as you would expect!) and importantly, nice and flat.

Dublin is nice but has a number of hills.
    Barcelona sounds fun
  • Options
    This marathon lark is addictive isn't it..!

I've 99% decided on Dublin - it's "local" and it'll be my second time running it. It's got a really good atmospehere and not a bad course. Bit strange to think that I'm looking at my 3rd marathon when this time last year I wasn't even running (or excercising at all)!

Good luck to the lunatic fringe in the FLM as well!
  • Options
    Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    Any idea where RW forumites will be meeting after FLM (and if it takes kids)
  • Options
    Ah Hendo! B I R M I N G H A M ! (tee-hee!)

IQ - you don't get the appeal of footy?!!!!! You just don't know what you are missing in life!

And whilst I'm on the attack (nothing personal m'dear), please lose the iPOD for city marathons - it's ok for training, IF you're in a safe environment like a gym treaddie, but you really miss the atmosphere in a big city race.

Oh, and HENDO, B I R M I N G H A M ! :)
  • Options
    Dublin's great, I had a lovely weekend there a couple of years ago and that still stands as my marathon PB course. It's where I discovered what a good recovery drink Guinness is ;)
  • Options
    Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    Tigs....goes without saying

Actually i found the Guiness in Paris very therapeutic
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Glad to see the thread is still alive.

I've recovered well from paris and am slowly building my training back up, a few 10k's to do during may, and then a couple of halfs during june. My next target still seems to be the Omsk siberian marathon, really fancy running in Russia so to practise my russian a little. I may also be up for an october marathon as well, dunno where yet though.

Glad to see you're recovering well doylie!
  • Options
    <<flicks middle finger at snoop>>

• Options
    snoops did you see RB
    if so where is he at FLM expo
  • Options
    Just got back from EXPO - did enquire at Sweatshop's humungus stand in the centre of Excel for a Gavin (staff T shirts are all girlie pink for the fashion conscious amongst us), but it only produced blank stares, so no good I'm afraid, Bern.

The only person I knew there was the RW editor, Sean Fishpool on the RW stand - told him the three-runs-a-week strategy (which he's testing for the mag), doesn't work - you run out of energy half way - and he sorta gulped :)
  • Options

Guys / Girls

Serious running question.

Based on my 10km (circa 48 mins) and my half-marathon (circa 1:44) times, roughly what should I be able to do for a full-marathon if I trained properly ?
  • Options
    Hi everyone, sounds like everyone is still on a high from Paris and gearing up for their next marathon. I had a brilliant time in Paris and are still buzzing around the place. Tim I did 10ks and a half in the same time as you and finish Paris in 3:44 so you should try and work off a 3:45 schedule, I do think the speed work sessions are what helped me. Good luck to everyone training London, I wish I was, I will be running around the course thou seeing everyone. Take care and enjoy the running.
  • Options
    Tim, according to the RW calculator, it says you could potentially get 3hr 36 based on your half time. Not sure how accurate that is.
  • Options
    My pb for the three distances are 46 mins, 1hr 45 mins and 3 hrs 57 mins, if that helps.

If I didn't know anything about you, I'd say a sub-4 hr would be the most appropriate, but as they broke the mould when you were born, I really wouldn't wanna stick my neck out on that one.
  • Options
    3hrs 36! That's bollox!!
  • Options
    That's what it says Snoop - don't shoot the messenger.

My PB's are 43 mins, 1hr 35 and 18 hrs for the marathon - reckon I could beat my marathon time if I trained as well?
  • Options
    I know you're just reporting it Coops, but those online calculators have always been rubbish where marathons are concerned - you just don't know how you're going to react after 18 miles.

Had a nice chat with a lovely young lady on the Marathon de Paris stand at the Expo - her office reckons it'll be a ballot in 2008, and you will need to get your entries in by 21 Sep for next year - entries will open on 1 September, and it'll be run on 15 April 2007.

• Options
    Must track down RB tomorrow, I'm sure he looks very fetching in girlie pink ;)
  • Options
    hey - anyone wanna play strip poker?

http://fun.bowmans.com/poker/
  • Options
    tim my splits are similar, the predicter says about 3 and a half but in reality I come chuffing in just under 4

coops
    I will know where to look - gavin on the sweatshop stall at least narrows it down a bit - not a tragedy if we dont meet up just nice to say hello
  • Options
    Aside from an illness in the first week oif my taper, I think I trained "properly" for Paris. My 10k and half pb's are 49ish and 1:49ish.

I did paris in 4.25 and knocked 26 mins off my pb!

Maybe i'm just not built for endurance.

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Thanks all. 2:08 might be pushing it a bit Cops, but who knows.

I've been doing a little gym work since Paris.

However, need to step up a gear or two because the Silverstone 10kms is now only 11 days away.

And I am going to break my 10kms PB. Not through training. Not through cardio fitness. Just through pure bloody-mindedness.
  • Options
    Subject: If women were football teams ...

Fulham - Charlotte Church: Proof that money can't buy you class. But
    could look more attractive if the Welsh bloke was given the elbow.

Birmingham - Pamela Anderson: Used to look good in the cups but now a
    declining force. Plus millions of people watched them get a good seeing
    to.

Wigan - Davina McCall: Poor attendances confirm they've been promoted
    above their ability.

Portsmouth - Girls Aloud: Only one real class act among the hastily
    assembled line-up. You shouldn't like them but admit it, you've sneaked
    the occasional admiring glance.

Sunderland - Kerry Katona: Once the people's favourite but now an
    embarrassment. Fun while it lasted - now disappear from where you came,
    please.

Spurs - Keira Knightley: Undeniably easy on the eye with an attractive
    English spine. And proof that two little ones up front needn't be a
    drawback.

Everton - Dannii Minogue: The poor relation to the more glamorous
    sibling. Can anyone remember when it was they were supposed to be any
    good?

Arsenal - Jordan: Were more likeable when they weren't packed out with
    expensive foreign implants.

Newcastle - Jodie Marsh: Impressive front two but embarrassing at the
    back. Had surgery but need a lot more work to compete at a higher
    level.

Aston Villa - Dido: Bland, boring and still trading off the one big hit
    they had years ago.

Liverpool - Sophie Ellis-Bextor: Individually all the components look
    great but stick them together and it just doesn't work.

Chelsea - Rachel Stevens: You'd rather just watch them than listen to
    all that painful whining.

West Ham - Vicky Pollard: Nothing more needs saying as a teams fans
    speak for themselves - Chav's in Chav's clothing

Bolton - Clare Balding: You wouldn't. Not even if they were the last
    team on earth

Man Utd - Catherine Zeta Jones: Looked good once but now getting f*cked
    by an old wrinkly American.