Paris 2006

Comments

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Poor little Wayne. Breaks a tiddly, widdly little bone in his wee foot and is on crutches. Big pansy! But who cares anyway. Sooner the World Cup's over the better. My money's on a long-shot Portugal win.
  • Tim, is it pure irony that you're calling someone a pansy, when in fact you are the only heterosexual bloke in the world who doesn't want the World Cup to arrive?

Just an observation.
  • Coops - anyone who supports that %&*$%^@ of a team - Franchise FC or whatever it's called this week, clearly isn't a true supporter of the beautiful game anyway. The sooner they get relegated out of existence the better.

No offense Tim, just an opinion. You should get back to supporting MK Town.

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Lads, lads. Calm down. Blood vessels will be burst.

On England, I must confess to not being hugely patriotic. It's not so much the football that I dislike, but all the sh*te which goes with it. Shops full of tat. Cars with grotty little Asda flags flying from them, etc. But worst of all, the drunkeness and violence throughout the UK. For example, those poor Portuguese nationals who were attacked in an East Anglian pub two years ago.

On Milton Keynes Dons MMIV, I've heard it all before. "If you really loved football, then why didn't you follow Luton Town" is a favourite. Yeah, like that's really handy. The bottom line is that I love watching live league football. Not just buying a replica top and wearing it down the high street. But actually going to home games, week in week out. Made a personal choice not to travel away, as eats too much into precious family time.

I guess that I could have stayed with the club that I supported for many, many years.
    One Reading FC. Recently, crowned Champions of the Championship with 106 points! That would have been a very easy option.

But, instead I started following what is now my home town team. Not exactly the soft option. The politics of how we came to have a League team in MK don't interest me. The fact is that it's a reality.

They may get relegated. But they won't go out of existence. Support is growing every season. Last Saturday, there were approx 6,900 home fans in the 7,800 crowd. Two years ago, average home support averaged less than 3,000.

So, give us a modern stadium (one year away) and some success - there'll easily be crowds of 10-15,000. Then, we'll rock.

• I can understand all of those sentiments Tim, but it's fundamentally just not right.

What of all those fans who saw Wimbledon FC crumble around them, only for their beloved 'club' to be called MK Dons and based in, what has to be said, is one of the most dreadful soul-less towns in the country (again no offence to your humble abode, just an opinion!!)

Fair enough they've started all over again, but there's still a club out there using their name, in the league where they took them too, whilst they rebuild AGAIN in the lower leagues.

Fair play you just want to support your local team, commendable, but I think every football fan in the country should boycott that place out of principal. I know I would.

Anyway, moving on, good luck in your PB attempt this eve - I have a bet on you on fetcheveryone!!

• Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Almost forget, many congratulations to Northampton Town. A great little club. I used to enjoy frequent trips to Sixfields.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the old Wimbledon fans. But the move happened three years ago and there's no going back now. There surely has to be a point where a line is drawn in the sand.

The name change made many Milton Keynes based supporters cross, as there was little real consultation. But I think that it was needed. Youngsters here couldn't readily identify with a London Borough. They wanted a team named after their "soul-less town" (to quote a Portsmouth fan). And youngsters are the 'life blood' of the MK Dons - the future.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Glad to here that you've bet on me. I'll try my best.

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    MK Dons - now we are scraping the very bottom of the barrel even mentioning them on here.

Roll on the W/C - can't wait - have to agree that any male not ticking off the days until its arrival is either a raging queer, or Scottish!

Fergie is right, though - Ronney Pooney is his club's player, and it's surely down to him as to whether he goes or stays - either way, he is unlikley to play, and there goes our best chance of reaching the K/O stage.
  • Agree on the Asda flags and three lions nonsense, but just because a bunch of f-wits get into football, doesn't mean that they should spoil it for people who know a bit about the game.

It is entirely possible to follow England during a world cup and to enjoy the experience. Top tips include not painting your face with a cross of St George, refraining singing two world wars and one world cup and resisting the urge to lob a chair through the pub window when we get knocked out on penalties.

As for MK Dons there's a massive amount of hypocritical cack spouted about them. Pretty much all of the clubs in the premiership have sold their souls to beelzebub to make a few quid at the expense of their fans. My club being a contemptible example.

Half the clubs in the premier league have changed location at various points (usually for financial reasons) in their history thus you have Bolton playing in Horwich, Woolwich Arsenal playing in Islington, Newton Heath playing at Old Trafford etc etc. Ultimately if enough people had wanted them to stay In Wimbledon they would have done.

To clarify - nobody who loves football supports Luton Town.
  • 1 I hope England get stuffed - 1/4s would do me - why not by scolaris mob - for a laugh - If (heavens forbid) they did win life would be hell. It was bad enough with gods game - good laugh watching everybody beat them since

2 MK dons are a disgrace - they should have started down the bottom and worked their way up

I will be running during wendyball world cup. A match starts at 8 I am out - 1 hour run - listening on radio and then catch 2nd half
  • Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭
    By my stopwatch, managed 45.06 (out-22.15, back 22.51) for the Silverstone 10km, beating my previous best for the distance (48.12) by over 3 minutes.

Seventh PB in seven races. Amazing what losing 32lbs can do for times!
  • Fantastic Tim - well done sir.

• Tim, won't go into the MK Dons debate - but I do have my thoughts on it. I sincerely hope they stay up this season just so we get another local derby, and another easy 6 points next season......

Congrats on the PB, that's an excellent time mate.
  • Also, for all you football lovers.....

On a scale of 1 to 10, how jealous are you that I managed to wangle 2 tickets for the England v Paraguay game on the 10th June....?
  • 2 weeks in a deluxe camper van in Germany with 7 of my best behaved friends. Spiffing.
  • Certainly sounds like fun Coops! My evil cough has gotten me out of speed dating tonight - hurrah!
  • 10 for the tickets.

0 for the camper van.
  • Hail Hail

Is this thread not supposed to be dying a death since the race was 3 weeks ago? It seems to be as healthy as ever!! Good work to the stalwarts.

Coops - since I'll be doing Edinburgh Marathon the day after the EvP game, I cannae really claim to be that jealous, but in all fairness I'd have to say a 9.5 on your scale. After all my milkman's neighbour's great, great uncle (twice removed on his mother's side) was born in Asuncion. And that's the real reason for my support on the 10th.
  • Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    10 for the camper van

0 for the tickets

0 for MK Dons
    10 for AFC Wimbledon

Now i have played my first game of cricket football season is over until the unwarranted unnecessary intrusion into the cricket season known as the world cup, although i will no doubt get drunk and cheer on the boys like most people, just wish we could have a break from it for a few months and play it during the football season.
  • Hail Hail

Oh, almost forgot. Excellent work Tim. You'll soon be a "real" runner!!
  • Speed dating - I'd love to try that! (awaits jokes)

I hate to make anyone any more jealous, but did I mention I was off to St. Lucia next week? Oh, sorry about that........
  • Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    Speed dating

Coops, thought you invented it............
  • I thought my "awaits jokes" comment would have stopped it, but obviously not.........

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    Yep - I'm off to the Black Sea this weekend for some warm weather training, and top up the tan for the forum trip to Le Touquet in July.

Then it's back for the climax to the footy season, then....

MORE FOOTY!! (until July!) Hooray!!!

• You get 3 minutes for every girl Coops - probably too much of an endurance event for you.....
  • Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    IQ that's unfair...........hehehe
  • IQ - that's a bit harsh!!! I wouldn't mind it coming from anyone else!
  • Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    IQ...what's with the speed dating...thought you were otherwise engaged (so to speak)

Guess it doesn't hurt to check out the competition though