Who's coming to watch you run?

What are your preferences about your marathon supporters? I have a dilemma about the flm and wondered if anyone else has similar feelings about it. Having done 2 already, each time with an extensive group of family/friends, I've got some reservations about repeating this.
- kids can get bored and I end up worrying about them.
- inclination of my dad's partner to make a huge deal and fuss out of everything.
- feel obliged to 'make a weekend of it', sightseeing, flaffing about choosing restaurants etc (did this twice last year!)
- felt absolutely dreadful after Stockholm, made worse by the knowledge that large group of people were standing around worrying about me
- husband not overly keen on complicated group logistics; he'll get annoyed and I'll feel I've got to sort it out as it's my family.

Over xmas my brother declared that of course he wanted to come and watch me run the flm, my Dad immediately said he also would come with his partner.As they come from abroad it's not exactly just a few tube stops to arrange. Part of me (a pretty big part!) just wants to get on a train the day before with a few other runners, spend the evening quietly and then do the event without worrying about everyone else. I do like the idea of being surrounded by other runners and giving moral support to each other. I know I should be grateful they want to support me but I feel a marathon requires such single-mindedness and focus you've kind of got to be completely selfish about the whole thing. To be honest I don't want the distractions as described! Sorry to whinge on like some spoilt brat, but how do I tell them I'd rather go on my own? Or possibly with just my husband and my brother?

What have been your experiences and what are you planning to do this time?

Comments

• No one, I'll be billy no mates, Wife and the 4 kids will be back in Germany, so a few beers in london afterwards for me, anyone else up 4 a drink.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    My son will probably come and support me, probably because it gives him some breathing space from his mother ( you may have seen her in Lord of the Rings, Two Towers. She was flying at the time with flames coming out of her mouth! )

You could say that you are meeting up with lots of your friends who are coming down on their own and that's what you would prefer to do.

Alternatively you could just be blunt and tell them the truth. That tactic usually works for me.
  • I've told people to come if they want but as I do not know if they will be there on the day or not it doesn't matter.
    Definately leaving my young children at home with grandparents though.
    Wear something easily identifiable in case you get near a tv camera so they can watch at home eh?
  • I'd be cautious abou the kids unless there's something else for them to do, I don't know how old they are but particularly if they're young it's a long day.

I'd be inclined to tell them that you need to focus on the race, so you'll do that and leave them to do the other things.

As for the worrying about what other people are thinking and doing, I know what you mean, but ultimately that's nothing anyone can do anything about except you - if they're prepared to come they're implicitly accepting that, and maybe a lot of it is your imagination? I often find I worry about things like this and when I ask about it the people concerned never gave it a second thought. I guess you could do the mobile phone trick I've seen people doing where they tell people where they are?

As for the fussy partner - if she wants to fuss then that's her problem, you can't take responsibility for everyone!

Tell them that if they're not prepared to accept all this stuff then please don't come. You don't need to be confrontational about it, just make it clear that you need to focus. And yes, just for once you are being selfish - everybody has times when they need to be, and IMO this is one of them!

Don't know if that makes any sense to your situation, best of lcuk with it :-)
  • Laura, that's an interesting one. My conundrum is who to tell and when - I find it hard enough to believe in myself without having to listen to people who mean well but can't resist being negative, so I've only just started to tell (encouraging) people about it, and I've asked as many as possible to be on the route supporting me.

Hopefully one group will have a party on the Isle of Dogs and give me a cheer if they see me - I reckon I'll need all the support I can get by then.

Another friend has said she'll be at the water stop at 22 miles with her hubby and their chums who run it.

I'll ask my daughters to take responsibility for getting me there and back, but it didn't occur to me that folks will expect me to be sociable as well!

By the way, when do we get info about arrangements on the day - like start number, location, time, sign-in etc?
  • Thanks for your thoughts, Iain, you're right, some of it is knowing I can't switch off when everyone else is around - it's a woman thing! Men are much better (hugely generalising now, sorry) at jsut saying 'this is what I'm doing, you do what you like' without worrying. My kids are old enough - 13 and 8, but would probably enjoy doing something else instead.
    Drew, I take it you're no longer married to LOTR dragon??? How old is your son?
    Helen, sorry to hear you've had some negative reactions from well-meaning people. It's probably jealousy you've got the guts to take on a big challenge they would never dream of doing. Good luck!
    Thanks - I will now go and practise being blunt with my husband first of all (he's used to it!).
  • I'm good at telling other people how to do it Laura - I just can't do it myself!!

Best of luck with it anyway.

Maybe you could work out a rough timetable so the group can do a bit of sightseeing - tower of London etc at the same time?
  • I'll be coming down alone again - little cougie is only 4 so him and Mummy can watch on TV.
    His Uncle gave him a Marathon teeshirt on the day of the race this year to watch it in, but he wouldn't put it on. Turned out later that he thought he'd have to run the race if he wore the teeshirt !

I think it's much easier Laura just to look after yourself rather than try and take care of a family who are going to have different needs to your own.
  • The wife has been to all my races bar 1, and the family tend to come to most, esp my mother who thinks it is wonderfull that her baby( I am 38), is an athlete(yeah if only), she never came to watch me in my younger days as an athlete(i was a hurdler, and also in all the relays, to england schools level). and only ever watched me once playing footie, which I did to a semi pro status, but I will say that I let them all sort out their day, and am single minded in my race, but, however it is warming to know they are there, willing me on, and its good to have the loved ones there at the end for a pat on the back, and to carry the kit bag, get the beers in, and drive you home!!!!!!!!!!
  • Last Year I went thought all the logistic of getting my father to fly from Scotland and picked him up at Liverpool St Station from the Stanstead Express. The worst bit was getting him in his wheelchair on and off the London Underground!!!!! Logistical nightmare. However, with a very good central hotel it was all managable.

He and my sister, who also came to see me run were at a Cheering point for the MS Society. Because of my fathers disability they were given the cheering point near the finish, which made everything a lot easier.

This year anyone who comes to see me will be making their own day out. I will be very focussed on the race. But as legless says it is great to have them there to sort out your blisters
  • Mr Wolfy comes along to my marathon races, I don't bother him with the shorter onces, and for the FLM my best pal Sarah comes along as well as anybody I know who lives down there.

Like most others I try hard not to concern myself with them on the day (until afterwards that is) and focus on the task ahead.

Mind you it is super when out of thousands of spectators (talking FLM here) you see your loved onces cheering you on, running on air for a mile or so after feeling pretty god damn good!
  • I've got my usual support group friends and relations dotted around the course (Cutty Sark, Docklands, Embankment an d the finish). They move around the course, which is good motivation for me to keep going (and the choccie they carry). It's really good to have them there.
    Only problem is I tend to run faster than I predict, so I keep missing them.

I'm sure anyone wearing URWFRC vests will have brilliant support this year.

Jason L

P.S.
    Alfieboy: Apparently Mr Tickle has been training extra hard to beat you this year!
  • Valid point about URWFRC peeps in vests getting mucho support, but I will be in my charity vest!!!!!!!!!! might have to have a baseball hat made with URWFRC on the front!!!!!!
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Also in charity vest this year, but will have forum name on front and something daft on the back. Soo looking forward to this.!

bring it on.
  • Just my girlfriend. One of my sisters lives in London and we won't even go and stay with her (though invited). I just like a quiet night before the race and then to get away quickly after the event. Don't won't to be worrying about whether other relatives etc are suitably entertained.
  • Legless: I've been thinking about my URWFRC vest vs Charity vest and think a baseball cap is a great idea. Does DW do baseball caps?
  • Hey Wolfy - I too have been thinking about wearing a cap with my forum name on it. If the club doesn't do one, I'm going to just get my name printed on a yellow one and wear it in FLM. I'll be wearing my piccie somewhere too.
  • ok ok , I will look into the possibility of forum hats- do we want forum hame on front or just URWFRC then we can put names on vests???????

thinking to himself "you muppet, did you really just post that"
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think I like the idea of hats and prefer to have forum name on front. Yellow's a good colour too.

My support will just be my hubby and some club members who always go to cheer on those club runners doing it and have a good day out themselves. My kids always watch it on TV and make sure it's videoed for me.

• Right let's go for:

Black cap with Yellow writing on front which reads: URWFRC (or whatever it is I always forget) then like Ironwolf suggested we can then have our forum names on our vests, I shall put mine on the front this time...last year I put it on the back and wondered why everybody called me 'cancer research'!!!!
  • Leggy: you up for organising them? I'll help if you need the help of a dumb, norther pussy with dodgy colourd hair!
  • Count me in for a URWFRC hat - it will save you all the experience of my jingle bells hat, one of those velour multi pointed jobs with bells on much beloved of rugby fans, but thought to be hilarious by the local 'yoof'
  • I have found a supplier, who will do a plain yellow cap with URWFRC on the front for £10.95 ea, if you want your forum name on the back it will be £13.95.

They will give us discount(up to 20%, depending on numbers), but,

This means I will have to pay for them all, when I order, which means I will have to stump up alot of dosh, which quite frankly, I aint got, however I do have thier website addy, which means all those who want to order one, can do on line,as long as we all go for the same design/colour/font etc.

Let me know what you all think, by e-mail(not on here, as this could go on and on)
    then I will set up a new thread giving everyone details etc

gra9230@hotmail.com

will carry on looking for a better/cheaper alternative
  • Laura,Re Friends and family watching. last year was my first FLM, My Hubbie and 2 of my 3 kids came to watch me, we travelled from our home in devon on the saturday. They did have a great time, but we tired ourselves out doing sightseeing on the saturday, which was a big mistake. This year my husbands running as well, so Mother -in law is having the children for the weekend and staying at our home.I am really looking forward to the both of us running. I really believe the FLM race to be special and you should spend time on preparing yourself mentally as well as physically and not worry about entertaining other people who are old enough to sort themselves out.
  • Well I'm not running, but maybe I'll show up with a big sign to encourage all of you heroic forumites??!!!! Where is the best place to stand along the course?
  • BIG sign please -lots of loud cheering too
  • I'd go for the Highway Hildegard, you can cross over via the tunnel around mile 14 and see us going in both directiosn then. I watched there last year (also near a pub, which was handy!) and it was a great viewpoint. You can move around and catch people in 5 places if you want to make a real mad day of it.

We could meet up at the start beforehand - it's then only a few stops on the DLR to get to the Highway.
  • Crikey! Don't log on for a day and you lot have sorted out caps already! Last year I recall desperate arguments about pink g-strings, and that wasn't 'til March.

I'll have one , will email you legless. Could this be done through the URWFRC website?