Maidstone Half Marathon

I've been out of action for 2 months following a disagreement with a van which left me with a badly sprained ankle. Just getting back into training and have booked up 2 x 10ks to get me back in the swing of things but fancied a nice autumn 1/2m to aim for.

Has anyone done this before?

I notice the course description is 'undulating/hilly' and I wondered how it compares to Hastings?

Any info would be great.

Comments

• Ditto. I live in hastings, my last half was hastings. I'd only been running a few months before it and now that my training has become a little more scheduled and consistent I'd love to see if I can better my time. Looking at Maidstone as a possibility.

It CANNOT be as hilly as hastings can it???? Although the seafront, not the hills, are my nightmare,

• Hi JeyC, I doubt there will be as many hills as Hastings. The wind on the seafront was quite kind to us this year ;-)
  • Hello - I really fancy doing this! I haven't a clue what it's like though - sorry no help at all! The last race I ran was Margate Half (last year!) but we've got loads of time to train...
  • this is a great course but undulating along the Pilgrims way...a few climbs but not really hilly.....not at all like Hastings
  • Thanks euro, that's all I needed to hear! Off to enter on-line........
  • I'm in ;-))))) Anyone care to join me?
  • I'm up for it!
    It looks like the trains from London don't get there early enough on a Sunday - can anyone recommend any B&Bs nearby?
  • Sorry NN but I don't know the area well enough.
  • I live in Maidstone and it's organised by my club. It's not as hilly round here as Hastings, though never having done Hastings HM, I can't give you a cast iron guarantee comparing routes!

I would personally call it undulating, because there are far worse hills in Maidstone and the HM route doesn't involve those! Being quite kind really ;o)

I might be marshalling, so I shall enjoy watching you all suffer!!! :o)
  • You've convinced me, entered online and I'm in!!! All I needed was a kick up the bum, but REALLY pleased to have another goal to go for.

Early start though?????!
  • I know it's being picky, but the the runnersworld info says it's 13.2miles. Is that an error?? Excuse my ignorance but a 1/2marathon is 13.1 isn't it?

• JeyC, sounds like a typo and you are quite right, it should be 13.1.

JennyD, so we can expect lots of cheering from you as we speed (haha!) past!
  • I'm looking forward to it now. Have been a little over-ambitious with race times lately, but am determined to simply take this one in fun and see what gives. Of course I'll take a watch, but as a new runner, trying to enjoy it and not get too hung up on times.

Secretly want to win.....

• HI folks

I'm there - I run in a dark blue BBC running vest -there may well be a bunch of us ..if you see us do come up and say hi ..

Cheers

Dave
  • will pencil this in, as its one of our club GP events, and also the clubs 1/2m champ'shp.

injured at mo, but hopefully back soon, so wont rule it out yet. :)
  • euro.. i guess the entry fee will be no problem for you, after no doubt having just picked up your big cheque for 'posing' for RW in the september issue ? !! :-)

any more 'posing' planned ? :)
  • What, we have a celebrity in out midst? What page is it on please Gaz?
  • HI, I did Maidstone last year. It was my first race and the beginning of many more. I thought there was loads of hills especialy around 5 to 8 miles. At the beginning and end there was a big lovely puddle. Good luck to everyone
  • Hi have not done this for a couple of years. Is it the same event that has a 10K as well just after you've finished the 1/2. If so can you still double up and do both ?
  • I don't know about the 10k but last year was a new circuit. Quite interesting as the experience runners didn't know what to actually expect.
  • It’s fairly hilly, but Hastings is much tougher. The hills are mainly on the scenic part of the course, so at least it will take your mind off it! Will probably marshal this one (if I ever managed to get down to the club again!) and I’m usually on the tougher section, so will be giving plenty of encouragement.

Mark – Unfortunately we stopped running the 10k a few years back, so no chance of doubling up I’m afraid.

NN – There are loads of B&B’s on that side of Maidstone, but I don’t know any off the top of my head. Alternatively you could use http://www.premiertravelinn.com (do a search for ME14 5DT), there are a couple just outside of town. Would mean a few cab rides though and a good warm up/cool down. The one at Hollingbourne is a stones throw from Leeds Castle.

Right, I’m off to the Oval!!
  • Gareth L , sry late reply I missed this thread for a while. My modelling fee has gone on flights to GNR !!! I had to pay the photographer for the photo....nice suprise though while flicking through the mag coming face to face with myself !! Good luck with injury...
  • Considering this one, hills are a concern but I need to do a decent 1/2m prior to year end following a poor paddock wood.
  • PB, don't be afraid of hills. PWood was probably too hot and anyway there are mini hills in that course when you go over all those little bridges plus the one at the end. Come and join us, you know you want to really ;-))))
  • If it's any good to you, PB, the large puddle has also been removed from the course!
  • Redhead thanks for that, yes the heat did get to me, went off to fast! and AB2 with the puddle removed that probably clinches it! I'm in!!!! too easily swayed!!
  • Thinking of doing this.....but is it worth the effort of travelling round the m25 etc, I ask myself ?? :-O
  • Anyone know what the momento will be ?

I really only like medals !!!
  • I ran teh Hastings half for the first time this year.. EVIL...... the Maidstone will be way easier.....
  • That would be a plus point then, I did Hastings this year.......EVIL is a good description.