Maidstone Half Marathon

Comments

• Posting my entry now.
    This will be my first 1/2 so please try not to tread on me as I lay gasping on the floor . lol.

Have done 2x 10k races and one more booked before MHM. My long weekend run is @ 10 - 11 miles so need to stretch it a little for the next few weeks !

' undulating/hilly '?. If it is like the Folkestone and Dover hilly terrain I run over then I might just make it .

Maidstone maidens and men already entered ;-)))
    Cliff Face
    Dave Cox
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi
    Jey Chick
    Nimble Nat
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly
    Quicksilver
    Redhead
    Scotty
    Tiger
    Sandie.T

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • Sandie T - that's good mileage... ! Honestly, once you get to 9 miles you'll feel like you're home and dry. After all, you KNOW you can run 4 miles easily, and that's all there will be between you and a medal. Oh, er, in this case, a t-shirt.

I just did 9 miles and sweet jesse my right knee hurt.. Running on my toes seems to help. One more long run for me before the race - for myself, I know that to feel really really rested by race day is the best way to enjoy it and get the most out of my legs on the day. I've been running a year and this will be my 4th half. Hopeing for a PB, but ya know, ....

Good luck anyway , enjoy!
  • JeyChick

Weekly mileage = 25 plus at moment as heading for the FLM .

The MHM will be stepping out of my comfort zone ( again ! ).

Note to Self on hilly bit :-

" I think I can, I think I can, I can,!!! "

Only been back running since May and have to keep reminding myself how far I have come on and how much I have achieved since that first unpleasant run.

My race number won't help anyone as I will be way behind you guys and Gals.

• Ooooh, the list is getting longer each day ;-())))

SandieT, you'll be fine. Just enjoy the experience. You won't be alone in keeping up the rear as I'm bound to be there too!

Tinny, have you made your mind up yet?

Cliff Face
    Dave Cox
    Dayglo
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi
    Jey Chick
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly
    Quicksilver
    Redhead
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • So Redhead- what did the van have to disagree with you about? Price of petrol?

Hope you're foot's mending!
  • Dayglo, the van driver thought he could continue chatting on his mobile phone and drive straight at me thus forcing me to kiss the tarmac, spraining my ankle in the process(single track road). Nice man! Ankle is getting stronger every day, thanks ;-)))))
  • Let us all genuflect to the white van. My how their powers are mighty.

What a B******!
  • I entered online a few weeks ago, so you can add me to the next list! Has anyone received their race numbers yet??
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Kevin, welcome. I haven't received my number yet.

Tinny, have you made your mind up yet?

Cliff Face
    Dave Cox
    Dayglo
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi
    Jey Chick
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly
    Quicksilver
    Redhead
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • Hi Everyone
    Started running at the age of 42, 2 years ago and I have just entered my first race-Maidstone 1/2M. (HENCE THE NAME OLD VIRGIN).

My objective is to finish the race in one piece but sub 2 hours would be a bonus.

Watch out you don't trip over me

• redhead - please add me to your next list - I enjoyed the event in 2004 and am looking forward to it again this year. Hoping to set a new PB (as I did last year) too!

Regards,

Red Or Dead
  • well done, old virgin - good luck for the race! i will look out for you once we get the numbers.

i started running at 42 this year, as well, and haven't looked back (cos there's no one behind me).
  • Cheers
    I'm just a bit worried that the 'race' element may spoil it for me.
  • I'm in also - entered online over the w/e.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Fantastic, what a great turnout.

I did my longest run since my accident this weekend. I did 10 miles and it took forever but it gave me a real boost because it's been such a struggle to build up the miles again. This redhead is back in action ;-))))

Hi Snoopy, haven't seen you since Canterbury!

Old Virgin (I refuse to walk up to you and ask if you are!), just enjoy the experience. You'll be fine and the other runners will help get you round. I am a lot older than you having started running 3 years ago and even I manage to plod round. Good luck.

Maidstone maidens and men already entered:
    Cliff Face
    Dave Cox
    Dayglo
    Euro
    Gareth L
    Iron Lindi
    Jey Chick
    Kevin Hanney
    Lozzer
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly
    Quicksilver
    Red or Dead
    Redhead
    Sandie.T
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg
    Tiger

Thinking about it:
    Tinribs
  • Well done Redhead - I'll be doing my last long run before the event this evening, it'll be a 10miler with hills. Then it'll take me until the day to recover cos I tend to get tired, but I'll put some shorter faster runs in instead.

Old Vrigin - I'm 34, so a bit younger, but I'd only been running for 4 months when I did my first half - and came in under the 2 hour target which I was wrapped about. Races terrify me, but waking up on a sunday to have a long jog with a few (about 2000) running mates seems like one of the best ways to spend a sunday :-)

See ya there.

(race numbers yet anyone?)

• I did 13 miles on Saturday morning in 1.50/55ish with my running partner around Thanet (hilly) so I am hopeful.

My big problem now is what to wear!
    vest? T shirt? long sleeves? jacket?
  • You'll be fine OV- I'm around your pace, at our end of the field it's less competitive and more "we're all in this together" kind of atmosphere!

Anyone in the Ashford 10k this weekend?
  • I'm not sure I'll make this now.... went out for my long run last Thursday and came home with a painful lower calf.

Really hurt just to walk on Friday and Saturday but woke up on Sunday morning to find a miricle had struck in the night and it felt fine.... so fine I went out for a 70m bike without so much as a twinge......

But this evening went out for a 6miler and it started hurting about half way (doesn't it always wait till you are at the furthest point from home!) so I had to run walk back.

I have ice on it now :-(

• I'm considering this . . . but am pre-entered in the Beachy Head Marathon the following weekend. Probably insufficient time between them to recover properly.
    Yet to make the decision.
    I did it last year and it was great! Not an easy course, but what the hell! These races would be a doddle if they were on the flat!
  • yeh count me in.hope to finish around 1;40.bring on the not so hot weather,my 2 previous 1/2 were dartford and coastal both days were up in the high 20s.seem like a crowd of forumites have already entered.
  • 1:40 is my target so all things being equal I'll see you at the line.
  • i'll keep an eye out for you jeychick,as my pb at present is 1;46 so you may have to be my pacemaker,but i'm determined to crack the 1;40 at this race.
  • My PB is 1:44 set at Hastings. But my training is really different this time, so I've sort of got no idea how it's gonna turn out. In the 3 months before hastings I did 1 long run of 9 miles, never more than 12 miles a week, but I did do weekly interval training. This time, my mileage is up to regular 18-19 mpw, but I've done exactly no speed/intervals.

I dunno - I'll suck it and see on the day! But it would be so great to come in at 1:3*!

Hope you do crack it (hope I crack it!) - let me know after the race if we don't catch each other there :-)
  • Hi All,
    The training has now reached a peak and after this weekend it will taper off. My real incentive in life has always been to beat an old virgin, and it would appear that there is one in the race who is ripe for the taking!
    Is Red or Dead out there somewhere?
  • Dayglo, I've entered for the Ashford 10k this weekend. The course looks to be a reasonably fast one, compared to other local 10Ks held recently. Did you run in the Sittingbourne 10 miler last Sunday?
  • I'm also in for Beachy Head marathon a week after this, but a week is plenty sufficient to do both if you train regularly.

Sittingbourne last weekend has similarities to Maidstone for the first 10 miles - country roads, undulations etc - that long upward haul along the main road in the last few miles of Maidstone though sorts out the men from the boys...
  • Nope, this is only my second 10k- a fast one would be good- first one I did was Winchester which was pertty hilly!

I just started up running properly this year so just hoping to get under 50 mins but not going to go mad at it as it's a warmup for the half.

Looking forward to brighton 10k as well.
  • Have any of you had your cheques cashed for this event so far. I posted my application off in July but checked my statements last night and the cheque has not been cashed yet.

Anyone else in the same position?

Thanks,

RedOrDead
  • I haven't checked my statement but think mine might not have been cashed yet as I had to beg the bank to send me a new cheque book - they said I couldn't have one till all the previous ones had been used and cashed.... anyone would think it was their money I was trying to spend!