Maidstone Half Marathon

Comments

• Cliff Face will have to catch me first, but with the way he was running last Saturday morning he has no chance.
  • Cheers Iron Lindi.

I may drop the Harriers a line to find out when they are cashing cheques/sending out race nos etc...
  • im in should be cooler than the last 2 eh paul
  • i certainly hope so johnny,
    jeychick,if we meet up before the start im sure we'll encourage each other around the course,your training sounds ok to me.i've been trying to run 7;30 miles,managed it ok for 10k and 10 miles just got to keep it going for the last 3 and a bit miles.
    i feel the organisers may cash all the entries at the same time,then post the race numbers.can any of the organisers confirm this.
  • Paul, sounds like you're home and dry for your target - good on you. I've not ACTUALLY tried to run race pace for more than 4 miles at this point (methinks I may be cutting it fine) - so it seems your target is based on hard evidence, mine on a wing a prayer!

But when I did my PB I'd not run any distance faster than 9mm, and no distance over 9miles. I'm kind of an enigma to myself - all I know is that I've done the best training I could have, (given life and kids and all), and, well, I still aim at 1:40! How hard can it be to shave off 4 minutes!!! (moto - always look on the bright side :-) and ignorance is bliss )
  • jeychick with the right encouragement and support i'm sure you will hit the 1;40.its only about 18 seconds per mile faster than you pb.this sounds a lot easier than saying 4 minutes off your time.you done 1;44 for your first 1/2,thats an excellent time,you sound very determined which is a great bonus.
  • Hi Red or Dead (Wayne) Good to hear that you are running. You certainly had a good run in the Thanet half, I was left in your wake but I also learned a valuable lesson: copious food and alcohol do not lead to a good half marathon time. Maybe this time I will stay well clear of all forbidden items!
    Old Virgins beware, I am on the prowl and I am feeling incredibly fit. (What if Old Virgin is a man?)
  • Hi Red or Dead I am glad to see that you are running, we must catch up and say hello at the start. You ran well at the Thanet 1/2, I unfortunately didn't, due to an over indulgence of alcohol and food, it would seem that racing and over-indilgence don't mix!
    Old Virgin - did you get the call today? I can't run on Saturday I will call you to see if we can make a date for Sunday
  • Clff Face,

Yep - definitely look out for you for a chat at the start line. Thanet is a tough old course - I was glad to get to the finish in one piece - not sure I am up for it next year...!
  • Hi Wayne, you may wonder why I wrote the message twice, each time slightly differently? I wrote the first one, but it didn't appear immediately, so I thought that a moderator may have deleted it because it was too saucy. I then decided to write it again....and hey presto the first message turned up as well!!! I thought that I needed to explain as it looked so odd.
    Anyway it will be good to see you again, you will recognise me as I will have an Old Virgin in tow
  • Anyone got advice on how to taper properly?
  • Cliff Face
    Sunday is fine and I did not get the big call today...
    I woke up yesterday morning with a very painful knee
    I had run 13 miles on Sat morning, on Sunday I rowed 5K on the machine and ran 5 mile on Monday.
    Rested on Tuesday and Wednesday due to work committments and didn't have any probs with the knee but woke up with a sore knee yesterday but it seems fine now.
    Does anyone know of anyone else having psychological knee problems...
  • psychological knee problems

oh absolutely

• Snoop Dogg,
    I think you're thinking of the old half marathon course when talking about the long, uphill drag. We changed the course completely last year, and the last 3 miles are downhill overall. There have been a few more changes this year to remove two crossings of New Cut from the race, but overall it is similar to last year, including the scenic stretch along the Pilgrim's Way.
  • Hi Andrew

Is there a map of the course online anywhere ...(or could you email one thru)

Many thanks

Dave
    dstamp.private@virgin.net
  • Glad you said that Andrew- I was preparing to be sorted into the boys section rather than the mens ;)

a map would be great if you have one...
  • Andrew,

Any chance of a copy of that map please.
    Do you know if the race numbers have
    been sent out yet. I applied online and was accepted weeks ago?

Thanks
  • Ohh Map please

Last 3mls down hill, there is a god !!!!

Cracked the 12 miles last weekend, back to 10 tomorrow.

Sub 2hrs for me would be a miricle but only 6 mths back running so must stay positive

• This thread has gone a bit quiet...!

How's everyone's training coming along for this event - less than a fortnight to go now...!

• RorD - Training not good, went for 9 miler yesterday, longest I've run for 4 months and less than 2 weeks to go!! aaahh!.

Going to gear up the mileage this week (10 to 12 miles Friday maybe), few quick short runs next week. I will be alright up to 10 miles (I think!) and will hope the occassion and support from felloow sufferers will get me through the last 3 miles!
  • Count me out guys...not run a step since GNR where I narrowly missed my goal of 75mins...43 bloody seconds !! Had bad flu then chest infection ...will resume easy running this w/e ....good luck
  • Ill be back there to keep you all company Ive just managed a few 8-10 milers, Ill do a 10 miler today or tomorrow my problem is lazyness any thoughts these days of over 10 miles is just a waste of time. I dont know why I even bother to enter half marathons now days.
    Im praying my entry to the London is refused
    (Im a happy soul realy)
  • I over-cooked myself last week, broke the cardinal rule, ran distance and speed in the same week and got an almost-injury.

Hey ho..:-)

So on the basis that I've read that you can't improve your fitness any more in the 2 weeks prior to a race, I'm planning on eating loads, sitting on my butt, sleeping loads, and putting in a short fast session on saturday, ya know, just to keep me perky...

Dave - 10 miles is my longest, which nearly killed me last tuesday. I posted my FLM entry too... mmmmm. Not sure what I'm hoping... fate will decide.

I'm looking forward to the race though - no matter what the time, the feeling of achievement is worth all the pre-race anxiety.

now I have it in writing it must be real

:-)
  • Numbers and Map just arrived ......

quote : The route is a challenging one, leading slightly uphill for much of the first half, and the undulating continuously !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna need last 3 down hill by the sound of it

I am 368 and will feel this old by the end. LOL...

Oh god why did I do it ?
  • I did a 13 miler (dead slow) on Sunday and feel ok - another longish one this Saturday in addition to my normal 4-6 mile runs and I should be well prepared for the 23rd!

Sandie T - I did the event last year and it is my 3rd quickest time for a HM - it is not that bad albeit it is undulating. Certainly an easier course than Dartford HM or Kent Coastal HM if you have done those events.

Good to hear that numbers have now been sent out - hopefully mine will be on the doormat when I get home...
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    <drums fingers waiting for race number to arrive>

Managed 12 at the weekend so feeling OK about the distance again. Now the speed is another matter entirely...........I will be SLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW ;-))

Euro, sorry to hear you won't be joining us.

JeyChick, take care of your almost-injury!
  • Thanks for the concern RedHead. I will. RICE is my mantra....

• My hopes are now placed on the Old Virgin. I have realised that my ambition to finish in the top twenty of a field of runners is never to be achieved so I have invested my coaching skills on him. Hours of tutelage??? have been wasted on him but we managed 13 miles two weeks ago and a ten miler at the weekend. I have virtually carried him around our training runs and it will be interesting to see whether he can run on his own two feet in the race. This race is, of course, only the first few steps the Old Virgin will take on the road to glory at London 2012.
    Well done to Red or Dead for revitalising this thread.